Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gear Box Replacement

I am in the middle of having the gear box analyzed for either rebuilding or replacing. How many of you have had a gear box replaced or rebuilt?

(Yes I did a search. However, I am looking for complete information. The last posting I found was on May of 2001.)

Please identify if it was rebuilt or replaced, the reason, and if it was covered by warranty or not.

Thanks!

Jeff "S" Moore
Old 04-22-2002, 03:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Why does the transmission need work?

Dave
Old 04-23-2002, 08:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Merrimac

A few weeks ago I had 5th gear replaced on my S. The gear would simply slip out under a heavy load. It took nearly 3 weeks to have the work completed, due to a lack of part in U.S. warehouses. After Spet 11th customs is much slower. The trany is running smoothly.

I'm lucky to have "Bud" Provin as my wrench, who would rather fix the problem than replace parts until things start working (again). Seeing and even being involved with the repair I would not trust just anyone to the job. Our S are complexe machine and specail care is needed when working with them.

I wish you luck.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Gearbox Replacement

Mines been replaced once. Early 99 model that had a nasty habit of involuntary downshifts from 6th to 5th and 5th to 4th. Hasn't eliminated the habit completely but its very infrequent now.
Upshift from 1st to 2nd ain't exactly a hot knife through butter but what do you expect for Twenty G's small(Cdn). The more miles that get piled on the better it seems to work! Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

"Why does the transmission need work"

The output shaft bearing took itself out. I discovered it when oil begain leaking from the output seal. I never heard anything. (Wear ear plugs.) In fact, I rode the bike into the dealership thinking it was only a seal leaking.

The bike is an early 99. As a stated, it only has 7,500 miles. I to experianced the poping ot of gears. Maybe this rebuild will correct that problem as well.

The good news is BMW is paying for all parts and 80% of the labor. The warranty ended in November of 2001. I believe my dealer, Mischler's BMW, went to bat for me.

I expect to get the bike back next week. I'll let you know how the transmission is working after I get it back.

Jeff "S" Moore
Old 04-24-2002, 04:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a gearbox replaced at 28,000 miles, but it was replaced because the clutch splines disintegrated and tore up the transmission input shaft. BMW elected to replace the entire transmission rather than just the input shaft. At the time, the old transmission was working fine. At 34,000 the new transmission is also working fine.

Harold
Old 04-24-2002, 09:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 04-24-2002, 09:27 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: