Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I never saw him, he came out of nowhere!!

That phrase seems to automatically give a driver that encroached on the path of a motorcycle a free "get out of jail free card" in my neck of the woods, as the LEO then assume the MC was speeding.

BUT, they really didn't see you, that is why they pulled out in front of you (unless they are a sociopath or psychopath, or talking on the phone).

How does this happen? Interesting food for thought here.

Play with the settings, I can see them "disappear" when I enlarge the yellow dots to the size of a dime on my screen!!!

LINK:
MSF
Old 03-17-2012, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
very interesting, it seems like the best defense would make sure you are not going the same speed as traffic, either faster or slower or both , but obviously droning along with everyone might make you invisible at times
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I will flash high beams at drivers waiting to pull out of driveways, and not in a 'yeah go in front of me' pattern... more like a strobe light 'look at the sun pattern'.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I always try to stay in a spot where I can see the drivers eyes if I'm along side of a car.

Coming to an intersection just imagine the spot between the windshield and the side window in a car. Plenty of space to hide a motorcycle.

I believe they either don't look at all or they REALLY don't see us.

My dad taught me how to ride. He had two simple rules.

1) You are invisible.
2) If you are not invisible they are trying to hit you.

Keeping that in mind I haven't been hit in over 40 years of riding.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
anytime I see another car from the side or oncoming,
I make a either a left or right S turn sweep to provide a lateral motion,
it makes it easier for the other driver to see me,
then i usually get a strange stare as the driver watches me pass by them,
as they have now seen seen me
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Seabeck, Washington, 20 miles west of Seattle as the seagulls fly!
When the errant driver who knocked me off a Ducati in '96 used that line with the Washington State Trooper...

His reply..."No, ma'am, you never LOOKED! Now I need your license, registration, and proof of insurance...NOW!

I was fortunate to have as my witness an off duty town cop...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
anybody who rides a motorcycle and thinks car drivers can see him is somebody who's just hanging around to save funeral expenses.

i have a headlight modulator that runs at double the normal (and legal) speed.
i have two little flashing blue lights where the front turn signals used to be.

if i thought for a second that those two things really made much of a difference...i'd be dead by now.

as mentioned above, most of them don't see you and the ones who do...are trying to kill you.

on the other side of the coin, those of us who lane split can probably tell you which car drivers also ride motorcycles. they're the ones who actually nuzzle up slightly closer to you, because they turned their head to see what kind of bike you're on. or they gave you so much room to get by that they startled the herd in the other lane, giving you more oppportunities to get your name in the local paper.

the only 100% safe way to be a motorcyclist is to leave the bike in the garage.
(same statistic works for scuba, surfing and general all around living life).

having already extensively toured my garage, i tend to ride elsewhere.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I see you

If I follow the logic of the yellow dots then the cager droning along during rush hour is fixtaed and won't see me. BUT the chuckle head trying to text is looking up and down, therefore not fixated. THAT must be why we seem to come out of nowhere.
Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
And here's where the motorcycle accident "finger of blame" gets turned back onto the motorcyclist. This (below) was a classic left turn in front of the bikes.

From the Greeley Tribune about two weeks ago. Bad accident in front of the campus. An acquantence and many students saw it unfold. One motorcyclist died. But read how the story gets written:

"Two young men on motorcycles roared south on 11th Avenue, while a green Jeep Cherokee heading in the other direction turned left into North Hall at 23rd Street. It was 2 p.m."

Further:

"... a 22-year-old UNC student, saw the crash unfold before her Monday afternoon. She was driving north on 11th Avenue on Monday when she saw the motorcycles approaching in the opposite direction. She said the Jeep was northbound on 11th Avenue, turning left at 23rd Street into North Hall at UNC when it was struck on the rear passenger side by one of the motorcycles."

All blame on the motorcycles.
That's just how it is...
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

After watching Fogs link, it is obvious that hi viz green riding gear, is better than day-glo yellow, since yellow disappears.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
And here's where the motorcycle accident "finger of blame" gets turned back onto the motorcyclist. This (below) was a classic left turn in front of the bikes.

From the Greeley Tribune about two weeks ago. Bad accident in front of the campus. An acquantence and many students saw it unfold. One motorcyclist died. But read how the story gets written:

"Two young men on motorcycles roared south on 11th Avenue, while a green Jeep Cherokee heading in the other direction turned left into North Hall at 23rd Street. It was 2 p.m."

Further:

"... a 22-year-old UNC student, saw the crash unfold before her Monday afternoon. She was driving north on 11th Avenue on Monday when she saw the motorcycles approaching in the opposite direction. She said the Jeep was northbound on 11th Avenue, turning left at 23rd Street into North Hall at UNC when it was struck on the rear passenger side by one of the motorcycles."

All blame on the motorcycles.
That's just how it is...
in fairness to reality, some bike/car crashes are the fault of the motorcyclist. this may have been one of those cases. i believe this was an unlicensed (and thus likely untrained) rider, who (in spite of the inflammatory "roared south" phrasing in the article) contributed to his own demise via combining excessive speed and limited skills on city streets.
one crash several years ago was definitely the biker's fault, and i have used it as an example of why it is good to take a class, and to practice your braking technique. that article stated that the biker was doing about 70 in a 55 on Harmony, and when a left turning van pulled in front of the biker, he left a skid patch over 400 feet long. excuse me, but from 70 mph, you can even drag a H-D down to stopped in under 200 feet.
sometimes, we are our own worst enemies.

sorry for any thread jacking.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Good read on the subject.

Hurt Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

On Saturday my big bright RED Subaru Outback got tagged in the left rear quarter panel by a guy driving a Dodge van. His front right bumper made slight contact with the Subie. Mind you, we're both driving the same direction, at approximately the same speed yet he managed to hit me. I think he was looking at his phone instead of what was 6' infront of his windshield. I think there's little hope for us on motorcycles.

The best part, he's saying it was my fault because I passed him earlier.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradzdotcom View Post

if i thought for a second that those two things really made much of a difference...i'd be dead by now.

this is (sadly)true. of course it never hurts to TRY to be more visible, but I sometimes am amazed at people who dont see me in my blue and white crown vic with a zillion lumens of flashing LED's on top and a siren wailing.

just sayin... some folks see ANYTHING, if you ask me.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
Around here folks like to hang all kinds of stuff from the Rear View Mirror. This junk can effectively block a Motorcycle from their view. It might even be illegal but enforcemen is rare IMO.
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Man it's flat out here!

Garage
"What I've tried to do in the two books I've done, Signature in the Cell and Darwin's Doubt, is to show just how weak the materialist's hand is in explaining the key events in the history of life. ... We would encourage people to roll up their sleeves, do their homework on this." Stephen Meyer PHD
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Do not take too seriously

Garage
Research here has shown that hi-viz clothing has little to no impact to visibility. The problem is that the car driver does not expect a motorcycle to show up, and therefor he does not see it. What does work is lateral movement or a headlight modulator. We do seem to be very good at noticing movement and a bike moving towards you in a straight line appears static and thus disappears.

http://www.sport-touring.eu | http://eurotravel.photos
Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
When I'm driving my wife's cage (2004 Lexus RX330), I always notice the fact that the rear sides and corners (the B and C-pillars?) of the vehicle are huge and block a lot of my view when I glance behind to check the blind spot. I've also noticed that most new vehicle designs are putting more metal and less glass in the pillar area between windows. Maybe it's a crash safety thing, maybe for style, or maybe it's stupid. Makes it easier to hide a motorbike from view, that's for sure.
1999 R1100S
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

How do you adjust your mirrors? Do all 3 give you pretty much the same view behind or do you adjust the side mirrors to start where the center mirror's view ends?

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
Old 03-20-2012, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Location: Seabeck, Washington, 20 miles west of Seattle as the seagulls fly!
My cage mirrors are adjusted to give me the widest possible rear view angles...side mirrors just barely catch the edge of my vehicle for a frame of reference. And my side mirrors are always accessorized with wide angle convex spot mirrors. Changing lanes I always check those convex mirrors first, then do a head check (the "Messerschmit Twitch" ala Stuart Monro...lol). But from years of driving a variety of vehicles (fire trucks, aid cars, and for awhile a gasoline tanker truck) I've learned to be pretty darned cautious.

I do agree that the pillars in a lot of cars and trucks these days are very wide, I believe to meet roll-over safety standards...so it does take a bit of extra attention. Which many drivers these days don't seem to do...

Ride like you're invisible...but be prepared.

Cheers...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: