Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1100S Short Shift Kit

Hi folks........Has anyone tried the Short Shift kit available for the S from bmwscruz.com
Apparently it produces faster, more positive gear engagements.....Sounds like a great idea, expensive though at $299.95US.
Thanks,
Cliff
Old 04-30-2002, 07:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

After I got use to how the BM shifts, I think it's quite 'short' as stock....as long as I only pull clutch in 1/4 to 1/2 way and don't just pop it into gear and release the foot lever but rather hold it up as I let the clutch back out, I get great, quick shifts every time....not sure how the shifts could be made any shorter/quicker...

mork
Old 04-30-2002, 07:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm with morkm on this one- short enough stock, and it's adjustable as well. I'm guessing the kit shaves about 1-2 cm of travel at the shift peg. This guy up at my shop just had it done but if you ask me, it's for the man who has everything- his bikes overall worth is way over 25k- he just keeps throwin green at it... nothing wrong with that, there ain't nothin better to spend money on if you ask me, that's just 300 bucks towards a very small addition--- but still, I'm not speakin from experience...
Old 04-30-2002, 07:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm with you guys...don't know how much it will help. When I installed the Wudo rearsets on my S, I trashed the loose stock heim joints and bought some aircraft quality units. A little adjusting and the shifting is quite crisp. Increasing the sensitivity does have one negative...I've got to be very deliberate on selecting neutral. If I'm too forceful, I go right past it. BTW, when riding at a moderate pace, upshifts don't even require any clutch. The gear changes just slip right in smoothly.

Safe riding,
Paul W.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Paul, how are the rearsets working out for you?

After this LONG tour, was thinking that having my feet up and back a bit might make it a bit more comfy..just not all the way back to the passenger pegs all the time.....but i imagine the rearsets mean you have to get rid of the passenger pegs????....that would upset the gf too much, me thinks....and does luggage still work.....i've no rearset clues...thx

mork

(yes yes, searching for rearset threads....)
Old 04-30-2002, 08:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey morkm...the Wudo rearsets are not that radical, just a little more up and back. I would actually like more as I rode a lot of the time (on the highway)with my feet on the passenger pegs. I have not removed the passenger pegs (no change with luggage) and can still carry a passenger...only we touch feet sometimes. As I ride solo 99.5% of the time it's no problem for me. I like the benefits for me but it was a bit $$$. I don't think it is a very popular modification...I don't think anyone else on the site has installed them...most went the lowering route. I was always grinding the toes and edges of my boots before!

Safe riding,
Paul W.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

No, I have rearsets as well. I too find them to be remarkably comfortable and have only *very* infrequently fouled with my passenger. You can't wear them without boots though; shifting hurts your toes if you try riding with sneakers.

I agree that I have not seen any others, everyone else goes for lowering the pegs.

I just wish I could find matching pegs for the passenger.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey LarryP,

Good to hear someone else mounted the Wudo's, but I think that
we're it. I only hit my passenger's feet because I have a habit of moving my feet back on the pegs. BTW, I don't have the stock shifter or brake pegs on the unit. I made up some longer pegs with a rubber rubber (used the stock BMW rubber). I also re-cut the rounded grooves on the footpegs and added the rubber wide flat o-ring style inserts from the Kuryakin (spelling?) brand of foot pegs. Adds a lot of comfort and some vibration elimination. I'm using the stock passenger pegs as well...maybe I'll make up a custom set this Winter (another project on the pile!). I also added a return spring on the brake unit...didn't like using just the hydraulic pressure from the rear brake cylinder and the small spring in the brake light microswitch. Yeah, I have a habit of modifying or rebuilding almost everything I buy!

Safe riding,
Paul W.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Paul-

I checked, Wudo apparently sells two types of rear sets, a house brand and one made by Lucas-Girling. I have the latter. They *did* come with replacement brake and shift levers; it is the little toe piece on the shift lever that bites my foot without boots. But the lever did clean up the shift feel remarkably.

If you come up with some sort of matching passenger pegs, let me know how you did it. I seem not to foul the passenger because I take it a lot easier two up, so I cheat and keep my foot forward. You have more open-minded passengers than me!

Last edited by LarryP; 05-01-2002 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-01-2002, 06:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rearsets? Yeah, I've been thinking about it as I have been shaving the outside edges of my DM boots -- Doc Marten's that would be. I ride on the hiway with my feet on the rear pegs. Can anyone provide me a link? I'm just being lazy as I know where to find Wudo and Wunderlich.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Larry - I was not offered any option as to "brand" of rearset...didn't know that two styles were available. Did your shifter pegs come with a rubber sleeve or just knurled? If I make a custom rear peg setup I'll let you know. ErricZ...try www.wudo.com, I believe that's Cascade BMW.

Safe riding,
Paul W.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Fastest Member

There is also a shift reverse kit available from the Boxercup bikes which reverses the shift pattern to race bike style down for up. It may only be available to race teams though, speak to your dealer.

Andy
Old 05-01-2002, 11:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Paul-

There is no rubber anywhere on them. The pegs themselves are knurled, and the shift/brake levers have slots drilled out (like the GG torque arm), each having a short aluminum dowel for your toe. The dowels have spaced apart circumferentially grooved rings.

My recollection is that they are visible in the picture of my bike under the Dymag thread, but I did not check.

Honestly, I get a kick out of all the raised bars and lowered pegs, since I find this much more comfortable. Oh well, to each ...

Larry
Old 05-01-2002, 04:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old 05-01-2002, 04:07 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: