Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to tominator Send a message via Yahoo to tominator
Setting TPS on R1100S "0"

Just finished setting up my TPS with a DVM. Question I have is has anyone purchased a dual manometer for syncing the throttle bodies on their "S"? Like this one I found at www.kimpex.com
Sorry about the crappy pic...but Adobe Acrobat is a *itch to cut from....

I have the single Edelbrock Unisync device:
"Uni-Syn Carburetor Balancing Instrument
Uni-Syn is a precision instrument which provides a visual method of balancing carburetors with a high degree of accuracy. Instructions included.
MC (motorcycle) #4027" Works great on older non Fuel Injected Beemers...and Snowmobiles....

But would prefer to sync the throttle bodies the way they were meant to be synced...from the lower throttle body connections (Rubber Capped connections, you know the ones that fill up with fuel and crack with age...)

Great instructions were sent to my by "Steve M" thanks! And I have attached the following URL for your reading pleasure.

BTW BMW warns against tampering with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) before the factory warranty expires (You've been warned)

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/zero528.shtml

Yeah Baby!

Tomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacuum gage.jpg (17.2 KB, 818 views)

Last edited by tominator; 05-12-2002 at 06:54 PM..
Old 05-12-2002, 06:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Twinmax may be the answer

Check out

Twinmax Electronic Manometer

Everything I've read about it is positive. I believe that it even has some sort of 12V adapter that may be used with the onboard BMW power outlet. I should be getting mine on tuesday and will let you know how it works.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sweet!
Thats what I'm looking for!

Will wait for your response JohnnyDanger!

Cheers
Tomas
Old 05-12-2002, 08:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The twinmax is great. Do a search.

I've used one although I don't have one. Much better IMO than any "regular" manometer.

Black '99 R1100S
Mojave Beige '02 VW Golf TDI
Old 05-13-2002, 07:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Turbomax it is then.....just need to figure out where I can order this puppy in Canadian Dollars.

At the request of a few folks I will briefly describe the TwinMax unit for the benefit of others who may be interested.

The TwinMax is an electronic differential depression gauge. Housed in a case about 5" x 3" x 1-1/2", it has an illuminated "null" meter, a zero knob and a sensitivity knob, two clear plastic vacuum hoses with rubber reducers to fit throttle body/carb nipples, and power supply cord with a BMW male accessory plug so that you can plug it right into the bike.

Place the unit on the seat, plug up the vacuum tubes to the throttle bodies, plug the power cord in and you are ready to PRECISION synch the machine. This unit is very, very sensitive, but I don't own mercury carb stix so I can't make a sensitivity comparison between it and stix. When this instrument is set at maximum sensitivity, I swear you can see the needle swing from side to side at idle as each cylinder takes a gulp. The unit is very simple to operate and easy to carry around to tech sessions, no mercury to spill etc.

After using this tool to synch my throttlebodies I have achieved a whole new world of smoothness like never before! Turbinelike? Almost!

Quoted from BMW Internet Riders.......
Old 05-13-2002, 04:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I use a Twin Max on a regular basis. Makes syncing the throttle bodies very easy indeed. All I had do after purchasing the unit was to get some vacuum hose (3mm I think) from the local auto store to ensure an airtight fit onto the throttle body spigot and also so I could rest the unit on my seat while tuning my S.

Because the unit contains no fluids, you can tape the unit to your tank and test out your high speed sync at any revs, out on the road. In effect a real world rolling dyno.

The Twin Max is one of the best tools you can buy for your workshop. 10/10 for price, quality and most importantly- effectiveness!!

Cheers
TREVOR

ps- if you search this site, you are sure to come across other peoples experiences with this unit.

Last edited by Trevor Rossack; 05-14-2002 at 06:09 AM..
Old 05-13-2002, 06:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Yeah, the twinmax is a pretty nice unit. I don't think it would hold up to daily shop use, but mine does fine getting used once or twice a week, and has for nearly 3 years now. Didn't have the 12V harness back when I got mine. Uses a standard 9V transistor battery. Too bad. When working late, or in bright sunlight, I sometimes forget to turn mine off, and toast the battery. I've been thinking about adding a regulator and running 12 V, so maybe it's time I got off my butt and did so. With the small 9V battery, the zero sometimes drifts over a long tuning session. I'm guessing the regulator would help that.

One thing I did find useful was scrounging a larger diameter
knob (I'm a packrat and had one lying around) to put on the sens.-pot Makes zeroing a little less finicky.

Good tool. I had to clean mine (dirty pots) only once in close to 3 years. More normal use would probably not ever require servicing.

regards
roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 05-14-2002, 11:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Got mine!

I got my TwinMax today. It's awesome! No mercury crap to deal with etc, etc... It took me a grand total of 3 mintues at the most to set it up and do the sync. Bike hasn't been so smooth ... ever! Super duper duper simple.

The TwinMax has officially garnered the JohnnyDanger stamp of approval.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I too have forgotten to turn the unit off after using it in daylight. The tip about the larger knob is a good one. I am going to go down to my local electronics store and get one when I go out this afternoon.

Cheers
TREVOR
Old 05-14-2002, 05:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: While a member here: Japan - Germany - USA - Curently: UK
I use a Morgan Carbtune II. Stainless steel rods in place of mercury. No electricity nor hazardous material.

http://www.carbtune.com/

MarkC
Old 05-15-2002, 08:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mark,

I like the idea of putting the balancer on the tank and checking it on the road. Not sure how important this is since I've never done it myself. Can you use the carbtune on a test ride, or have you found it unnecessary? By the way, how long is the carbtune?
Old 05-15-2002, 12:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'd bet that its unlikely to give very accurate results while driving (safety issues aside). Bumps etc would make the rods move due to inertia.

Black '99 R1100S
Mojave Beige '02 VW Golf TDI
Old 05-15-2002, 12:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Location: While a member here: Japan - Germany - USA - Curently: UK
tvrla; It is about the same size as the mercury manometer. Positioning the unit vertically allows the stainless steel rods to move with minimum friction (as they are moving inside a plastic tube). Also, I found that the 'restrictors' restricted the vacuum too much, so I modified them to allow a bit more air to pass (which allowed the rods to bounce a little more, overcoming the 'stiction').

Had the TwinMax been available, I probably would have bought one instead (though I thought I remember hearing of some owners having problems with 'zero-ing' the unit).

On the road tuning?..TwinMax is the only choice.

Which brings me to one of my 'wish BMW would add this to their bikes' ideas:

Have a digital display showing vacuum pressure from each throttle body, along with a temperature gauge (so the owner knows the bike is at operating temperature). A simple, twin vertical bar graphs moving up and down (like the way an equalizer bar graph for a stereo is displayed). To go even further; like BMW's E-32/E-38 750iL, forgo the throttle cable, and use a potentiometer throttle, with electric motors at each throttle body...Using signals from the vacuum meter, the throttle body motors would always keep the throttle bodies in synch. Being overly complicated, I wouldn’t be surprised if BMW introduced such a system (look at their new controversial i-Drive computer system on the new 7er).

MarkC
Old 05-15-2002, 12:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Have you, TwinMaxed? Wow, I have, amazing. After only 12.5k miles too. The right cylinder was tuned to the left and MAN what power delivery. They weren't even off that much either.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
No Info on (t)his member

Garage
Well, having both, and have been using the TwinMax for the past two years, I find the manometer to be ( for moi ) a little more accurate, or should I say more granular.
Also the TwinMax is not robust, as I have had to re-glue the meter to the faceplate twice now, and it eats batteries.

jeff
hasn't changed a battery on the carb sticks yet...
Old 05-17-2002, 05:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Cool idea! On board vacum meter that gives you a constant readout. I can just see all of the mechanics cringing now!

Seems like a fairly simple after market idea for someone who is inclined in that area of expertise!
Old 05-18-2002, 01:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I highly recommend the TwinMax synchronizer. It's very simple to operate and works great!

This morning I did the "zero=zero" TPS adjustment. Afterwards, synched the TB's. The bike hasn't ran that smooth in a long time. Power delivery is crisp and very responsive!

I have the Induct, SJ Power Filter, K12RS Fuel Reg, and TBR Cat Elim system. I had originally "tweaked" the TPS to help eliminate off throttle popping. That worked ok.

The "zero=zero" adjustment is the ticket. I set the initially "zero" setting at .010 volts as recommended, then adjusted the TPS to see .400 volts on the multimeter, and ran the throttle stop screw in. Next, instead of adjusting the throttle cable to the recommended .5mm freeplay, I adjusted the cable until the voltage began to rise on the meter, then backed off the cable ever so slightly. After locking down the cable, I rechecked the TPS voltage and it was spot on (.400 volts). Next, did an idle adjustment and a throttle body sync. The off throttle popping is totally gone. This is the first time I had done the TPS "zero=zero" adjustment. Sure wish I would have done it earlier with throttle body synching. It has made a huge difference!

Old 05-18-2002, 04:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Old 05-18-2002, 04:13 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: