Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Fuel capacity on the R1100S

I am trying to figure out how to add 1-2 gallons of fuel to the R1100S. I have read in past postings about some folks in Australia that added to the tank on non-ABS bikes. Mine is ABS.. So I am thinking of adding a removable fuel cell and placing it on the passenger seat area. My question is how to feed the fuel from the "spare tank" to the main tank? ( I contacted Sampson Sport Touring products" about building the cell,they build them for Iron Butt riders, so far no response) Is there a place to tap the fuel lines for a gravity feed? Are there quick connect fuel line couplings to make the cell easy on/off?
Old 05-13-2002, 12:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i have seen something like that on a K1200RS

at least that makes sense to me now that i think about it. I passed him on the way to daytona. he was pulling a trailer with the K bike and he had an aluminum tank mounted to a rack just to the rear of the back seat and he had braided stel lines running from it into the bike. thats all i know but i am sure you could figure soemthing out.
repoe3
Old 05-13-2002, 01:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

how about a tankbag fuel cell? Has anyone done this setup, it seems like it might be fairly simple.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just as a hypothetical, would another option be to add a small tank to the top of the existing fule tank in a semi tank-bag shape?
You could somehow add a mounting bracket to the bolts that hold on the fuel cap like some tank-bags do and sadle it on top. you could also add a map pocket and small pouches to the sides / back.
just a thought

Saintly
'10 Forester X Special Edition
Old 05-13-2002, 04:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hehehe.. great minds think alike joe
Old 05-13-2002, 04:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

so true...
Old 05-13-2002, 05:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Fuel capacity

I thought about the tank bag idea. Problems include, how do you connect to the tank? How do you know when you are down low enough on fuel to "open" the feed from the tank bag? Is the weight of 10-14 pounds of fuel on top of the tank workable? I still think the most non-intrusive, could be made to look like a solo seat/easy on/off, weight where it has least impact on the handling of the machine is on the back of the machine. (careful not to get to close to the exhaust pipes!)
Old 05-14-2002, 07:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'd be worried about plumbing fuel from an aux supply to the main tank. Any plumbing you do is likely to complex, messy, will probably require a fuel pump, and has safety issues with fuel lines running around in close proximity to electrical systems. especially in crash scenarios. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it needs to be carefully engineered - such systems are used on the Honda ST for endurance riding and the engineering is non-trivial.

You might consider what I do - use a couple of backpacking AL fuel bottles as an "emergency reserve" supply and keep them in a saddelbag or in a pack on the passenger seat. The only reason I need extra fuel is for the rare occasion where I have a backwoods route that has me too far between gas stations, or where I am depending on fuel at a particular point and the station is closed or no longer there. In these situations, manually transferring the fuel is a minor inconvenience. Mostly it allows me to get into the last gallon of fuel on the stock tank without too much worry - I've only used this emergency fuel a couple times. I have no interest whatsoever in staying on the bike for five+ at a stretch like the Iron Butt guys so stopping and transferring isn't important to me.

If you're seriously thinking about having a bike that you can ride five+ hours in a sitting, I'd look at another bike. For endurance work, it is very hard to beat the old ST1100 and nice used ones are around for $5K or so.

- Mark
Old 05-14-2002, 09:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Actually the weight would likely have less impact on the handling if its kept on the tank. The rear seat isn't significantly lower than the trank, and its a LONG ways to the rear of the CofG. Personally I'd place it on the tank first.

As for when to open it, how about when the reserve light comes on if you're doing it manually.

Or have it connect via the filler spout and leave it "connected" all the time. You could use a modified filler cap to provide the removable "connector/seal". Install it into the bottom of the fuel cell so that it plugs into the filler opening. Then just fill the whole thing up from the top of the fuel cell.

Another alternative is to modify both the body work and the tank to use the ~1/2" to 1" that exists between the tank and the surface of the bodywork. Then you can expand the capacity and size of the tank in all directions as much as desired. This of course would NOT be an easy solution.

Black '99 R1100S
Mojave Beige '02 VW Golf TDI
Old 05-14-2002, 09:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I knew you'd have a plan on this for some reason.
consistant rapt I got a couple 'a days left before my 2 months on the road and I need an emergency can or bottle, what's the most reliable??

Last edited by joemontana; 05-14-2002 at 08:52 PM..
Old 05-14-2002, 12:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The way i was thinking you could attach the cell on top of the tank was to bolt it into position where the existing filler cap is and have a short length of tube extending from the bottom of the tank bag cell into the main tank. that way as the fuel is used and the level drops below the end of the short tube it will draw more fuel from the cell into the main tank and re-fill to the tube's height.
with the tube extending only an inch or so (to the height you would normaly fill the tank i guess) into the tank it will ensure the fuel is used from the cell first.
you would then use a cap on the tank bag cell to fill the entire system.
thinking about it some more, this system would mean that a fuel tight seal between the tank and the cell would not be as much of an issue as the tube is feeding the fuel past the seal and allways keeping the fuel in the tank below the connection.
i must admit tho, i would probbly rather have an excuse to get off the bike after so many hours straight. the fuel bottle in the case is a good idea.

Saintly
Old 05-14-2002, 03:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Tanks for the different ideas, as my quest for better range continues, (it really boils down to the fact that in my opinion, any bike with the word "touring" in it should have at least a 200 mile range) I will keep your thoughts in mind. Does anyone have technical knowledge regarding intercepting a fuel line somewhere that a "T" joint could be cut in without causing fuel system pressure/feed problems?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Well I've carried small cans (2 gal size) but that might be overkill. I made a setup so I could carry two in dedicated saddlebags if I wanted. A small (1-2 litre) fuel bottle as sold in a camping store would also work and be much lighter/smaller, although with less reserve range. The camping fuel bottles are usualy more reliably leakproof too.

If you're doing steady highway blasting at speeds up to 95mph and have a stout heart its possible to get pretty darn close to 200 miles per tank, but it means running almost a third of that with the reserve light on. At least thats what I found while doing long tours with spare fuel on board so I wasn't too worried about being stranded.

Black '99 R1100S
Mojave Beige '02 VW Golf TDI
Old 05-15-2002, 08:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old 05-15-2002, 08:39 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: