Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
No try, do or not do

Garage
What's wrong with cloth tape? That's how I measured my first set of HP2 pistons! .......never mind

Great rant and no doubt spot on, but I would argue that consumers are pushing manufacturers to give them bikes closer to the race bikes, not that they can actually use it, but they do WANT it, 200HP production bikes are in the very near future I am sure.

Last edited by shreddr; 08-08-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradzdotcom View Post
...very near calipers...
Always get a smile from your posts Brad.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Ride Free or Die

Shreddr, if you do contact Akra, it would be interesting to hear their reply. I'm betting that they'll say their current system will not cause you any measurable problems. It would be interesting to know where they built their system to fix peak torque.

Bradzdotcom, I doubt many on this board are willing to invest in Snap-on tools--unless they use them to make a living.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Well I am not into ranting but with regard to aircraft...every pound over what the promised Basic aircraft weight is dead freight(basic a/c weight is no fuel no freight)....and what ever is there is there for the life of the aircraft...25 years plus....so 30 extra pounds 5 flights a day for 25 years is huge money...(they haul a lot of general freight) A very good friend of mine that produces a lot of c/f makes seat rods....sends them to Ireland...where they make seats for airbus and from there they go to Toulouse France...to be installed in the airbus. He told me how much more they spend for the c/f but is made back over time because he can save them 225 lbs per a/c, so they can haul 225 more mail every flight. Paint is huge....it's one of the reasons American airlines go shiny...very little paint....just detail stuff...like name and logo....unfortunately its not enough to help them in bankruptcy.

I have a set of them there very-near.iers...they are also useful in making a blood sample....anyone that has used them much will know what I mean.

Lane
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Hilarious, as usual, Brad. Thanks.

Personally, I make my living with a mix of tools and modicum of brain, and I still only have a moderate amount of snapon. But I DO have them for my most basic 3/8 and 1/2 sockets, and my basic combo wrenches. They're great. Other folks make much better screwdrivers at much lower cost (Wiha comes to mind) but for wrenches and sockets and allen-sockets, SnapOn is worth the extra cash.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Hilarious, as usual, Brad. Thanks.

Personally, I make my living with a mix of tools and modicum of brain, and I still only have a moderate amount of snapon. But I DO have them for my most basic 3/8 and 1/2 sockets, and my basic combo wrenches. They're great. Other folks make much better screwdrivers at much lower cost (Wiha comes to mind) but for wrenches and sockets and allen-sockets, SnapOn is worth the extra cash.

Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100s nut View Post
I have a set of them there very-near.iers...they are also useful in making a blood sample....anyone that has used them much will know what I mean.

Lane
i've been doing a lot of machine shop visiting lately, and at one place some guy came up to the owner and said something about a part not being to spec.
owner asks him: "what's the prick say?"
guy gives him some number response, they discuss, then solve.

i just can't let it go.
"i can't believe you refer to someone as the prick."
"oh no, not somebody. that's what we call the calipers."

i use them too, and am very aware of their reputation.
still get pricked on occasion...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys thanks for showing an interest in this article. Like shreddr I have a rexxer fuel map in my r12s, IMO it's a big improvement on the OEM map. But Getting back to my original question, I contacted Staintune and was told the pipes where designed with a smaller OD to deliver more mid range torque than stock pipes. that may be the results staintune achieved in its test environment, but I found the headers are too restrictive to be of any good on an engine where a custom fuel map and free flowing air filter is fitted.
Wish I had spent my money more wisely and and bought an Aprokavic Exhaust like my wife suggested.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1%er View Post
Bradzdotcom, I doubt many on this board are willing to invest in Snap-on tools--unless they use them to make a living.
yea, i thought about that, but suggesting that one throw themself in front of a Walmart truck just didn't sound as good.

okay, maybe a sears truck, but still...just doesn't have the same flavor, ya know?

and lest we forget...a tip of the visor to the oft-overlooked mattco truck too.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I only have Snap-On stuff for the important things...the go-to tools. Ratchets, screwdrivers, etc. They sure are nice to have, if pricey. Haven't used my Craftsman screw drivers in a few years (except as prybars, oops) since I got the Snap-On ones.

Brad, that $340mil figure for American obesity is hilarious and sad at the same time. I'm severely tempted to post it on Facebook, but there are a few obese folks on there (some of whom are in some ways related) and I don't want to offend anyone. Girlfriend and I got a chuckle out of it, though.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Hahaha Brad...you have used them. I pricked my hand a few weeks back...I think I called them a MF'er or SOB's or something.

Funny story for sure Brad....I will pass that one on.

I ran my first vert. Mill when I was 16....took shop at school. Still love that stuff. I have been looking for a Bridgeport mini mill. The mini's are hard to fine...the standards...find them all day long. I would get a large one, just don't want to run 220 in my garage... and they are too big....but can't wait to get one someday.

Lane

Last edited by 1100s nut; 08-09-2012 at 03:42 AM..
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100s nut View Post
Hahaha Brad...you have used them. I pricked my hand a few weeks back...I think I called them a MF'er or SOB's or something.

Funny story for sure Brad....I will pass that one on.

I ran my first vert. Mill when I was 16....took shop at school. Still love that stuff. I have been looking for a Bridgeport mini mill. The mini's are hard to fine...the standards...find them all day long. I would get a large one, just don't want to run 220 in my garage... and they are too big....but can't wait to get one someday.

Lane
I did a 60-hour machine tech course last year at my nearby Vo-tech, using mostly mills and lathes, and learned enough to know that I don't know dick, but it wouldn't stop me buying a mini-mill either.

N.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Ditto.

I'd love a mini bridgeport. The big ones are readily available at semi reasonable costs, except that the transportation/space/power requirements are prohibitive for most. The cost is an issue, but pretty far down the list. I have a decent little lathe, which allows me to do most little custom shock spacers and bushings I might like, but I wouldn't begin to describe what I do as machining. More like "Guy who converts fairly round stock into more useful, but possibly even less round shapes"
Wish I had those skills (and a good DRO)

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Had a bike once that was tuned for HP, a '70 Kawasaki H1 500cc two-stroke. Below 4,000 was nothing and it had trouble leaving a stop sign then after 4k it would start changing gravity and the front tire would leave the ground. What a piece of ship. Fastest I have ever hated a bike except the Honda 150 Dream. I hated the Dream before my parents even bought it.

High HP, no thanks I will keep stock S.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie
* '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
High HP, no thanks I will keep stock S.
high HP was not the problem, it was the light switch delivery. this is what all the electro wizardry is about!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Regnat populus

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buda View Post
Hi guys thanks for showing an interest in this article. Like shreddr I have a rexxer fuel map in my r12s, IMO it's a big improvement on the OEM map. But Getting back to my original question, I contacted Staintune and was told the pipes where designed with a smaller OD to deliver more mid range torque than stock pipes. that may be the results staintune achieved in its test environment, but I found the headers are too restrictive to be of any good on an engine where a custom fuel map and free flowing air filter is fitted.
Wish I had spent my money more wisely and and bought an Aprokavic Exhaust like my wife suggested.
Greetings Buda,

Interesting

How did you determine that the Staintune "headers" were too restrictive?

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Last edited by boxercup; 08-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Tits
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Regnat populus

Garage
Staintune Headers

Greetings,

Forgot the image!

Staintune headers

Robert Foster

FOSTER RAD
LASER Engineering Exhaust Systems
RapidBike USA
Oakland Gardens, NY
Robert@FosterRAD.com
718-468-4680

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Robert, thanks for you question, reason why i think the staintune pipes are too restrictive is because Staintune told me so. Talk to a Staintune rep and he will tell you, staintune are not in the business of producing race performance pipes. I'm after top end performance, and frankly staintune header pipes fall short of meeting my requirements. Like everything, its a personal choice, its how the bike feels to the rider, whether its throttle response, engine performance, suspension setting tyre choice, fuel mapping, everything on a bike can be modified to suit YOU!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
If top end performance is your goal then HPE is your system.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Gone Bush

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
Fastest I have ever hated a bike except the Honda 150 Dream. I hated the Dream before my parents even bought it.
The 150 Dream was called Benly here and came in 125 and 150 cc.

I'm hurt, a 150 was my second bike - was a hand-me down from my pop. He'd traded a '49 F100 for it in 1963, it taught me to ride albeit slowly.

Member of AAAA (Association Against Acronym Abuse)
'22 H-D 'F' outfit, '46 Indian Chief outfit, a couple of early Honda Benlys, "Otis" - Disposable R1200S track bike, "BUBba" - R1150GS Adventure
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: