Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Sigh... really???

What part about air-cooled do people not understand? Perhaps all?!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Ah, going by assumptions again, I see... your strength.

It is actually very easy to get the headers red hot, without overheating ANYTHING (the headers are made to get very hot)...

Obvious that you have never seen a dyno setup at work...
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2008 KTM690 Enduro
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvalls View Post

wonder if it would fit the R12S?
...no..., they do not fit...

...friend of mine had a set under his R12S, but they were custom made...

...if you want (as in : performance-wise) almost the same for a lot less money, try to find a set of HPE pipes

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage

...the HPE stuff...

R1200S + R1200RT
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Although the correct assumption for any flat-twins is to be cautious not to overheat them....this burn is very normal with custom pipes upon the first start without any excessive or forced revving.

Quote:
Sigh... really???

What part about air-cooled do people not understand? Perhaps all?!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Thanks...You are absolutely right.

It's very normal for anyone whom has taken part in the work to change the pipes to have seen this.

However, interestingly enough (at least from my experience), titanium pipes seems to be most common.

Quote:
Ah, going by assumptions again, I see... your strength.

It is actually very easy to get the headers red hot, without overheating ANYTHING (the headers are made to get very hot)...

Obvious that you have never seen a dyno setup at work...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Bumping a five year old thread.

Anyone have one of these tying around for sale?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Unless you are lucky enough to find some one that has such hanging on the garage wall the only suggestion I have is Sandbar Composites have stayed in contact with Nigel over the years and he still does a bit with the HP2s.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 04-29-2018, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Canning View Post
Unless you are lucky enough to find some one that has such hanging on the garage wall the only suggestion I have is Sandbar Composites have stayed in contact with Nigel over the years and he still does a bit with the HP2s.
Yeah, he is retiring and getting out of the game. I did get a cylinder head cover from him as I have a scratch on mine. He can still get exhausts made but pretty expensive.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I donít think I have ever had a phone conversation with him that lasted less than an hour iíd take the retiring thing with a pinch of salt but heís been commercially stabbed in the back more than once and sticks to things where that isnít possible.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Canning View Post
I donít think I have ever had a phone conversation with him that lasted less than an hour iíd take the retiring thing with a pinch of salt but heís been commercially stabbed in the back more than once and sticks to things where that isnít possible.
Interesting. He tole me that he was selling all his parts and not ordering any new ones, although he said I could order an exhaust.

The thing that holds me back from spending that kind of money is that the main cat and end cans stay stock. On most bike (I know this is not most bikes) for that kind of money you can get a full exhaust such as on my S1000XR. I know, you have to pay to play with these bikes.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
Interesting. He tole me that he was selling all his parts and not ordering any new ones, although he said I could order an exhaust.

The thing that holds me back from spending that kind of money is that the main cat and end cans stay stock. On most bike (I know this is not most bikes) for that kind of money you can get a full exhaust such as on my S1000XR. I know, you have to pay to play with these bikes.
Madmike,,

Let me know if you have any luck with GD. I wrote Don de Vink late last year looking to see if he would make headers for my 2010. He wrote back that he was on holiday and would be in touch with price and timing, but I've never heard from him. I've emailed him many times since with no replies!?!

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 04-30-2018, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post

Most of his turn over was Ilmberger and he lost the importership actually thatís not true it was taken off him!!,so really itís just HP stuff and it really is niche so hardly surprising whereís things are going.

As for the X/R I bought a secondhand set of Akra headers in 16 and even those have gone up in price both RRP and used.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

GD Exhaust headers.....so sexy....and fit so well. Fellas, perhaps try contacting GD Performance directly? They have a web site, the HP2 headers are still posted, they are on Facebook, and I'm reading some of the posts and it appears they speak English as well.

00' Harley Fatboy
Old 05-03-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
GD Exhaust headers.....so sexy....and fit so well. Fellas, perhaps try contacting GD Performance directly? They have a web site, the HP2 headers are still posted, they are on Facebook, and I'm reading some of the posts and it appears they speak English as well.

Hey Mav,

Thanks for the kick in the pants. I'm not a Facebook user, but I Googled Don de Vink's Facebook homepage, and could see enough of the page to learn Don was also active on Instagram, which I do use. So, I direct messaged him on Instagram and got a reply in just a matter of hours. He said he'll put my headers on his work plan and shoot me pricing soon (I hope).

Weather snapped to it this week. I'd love to get out with riding with you sometime soon. Ping me if you are looking to ride on any given Sunday or Tuesday. Saturdays are a working days for me.....

K

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 05-04-2018, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Hi Kevin! Hopefully he will build those for you. Cool you got in touch with him.

I will get in touch with you for sure for a Sunday or Tuesday ride. I typically ride Saturday, wife cycles on Sunday, but sometimes that changes. I have vacation days to burn at work since I don't take many so Tuesday might work as well. You're not too far from me. We could show you some real nice twisty roads and scenery north of Lehigh Valley.
00' Harley Fatboy
Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: