Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Non 'S' related--Florida folks

Greetings,

Hopefully noone will mind if I ask a non 'S' related question. Might even be a stretch to call it motorcycle related. Just need some help making a decision.

The company I work for is closing it's Bellevue, WA facility and offering relocation to Melbourne, FL. Having lived in the West for the past 30 years; WA for 20, CO for 10, this will be quite a change.

I have traveled a lot in the US and Canada, but never to the south. Is there anyone that can tell me good things about the Melbourne, FL area? I'm looking for good places to ride, good dealers, places to live, schools, etc.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. And again, I apologize if this non 'S' related post offends anyone.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

not from florida but consider this...

you can ride all year long, you are soooo close to daytona, orlanda and the keys. don't thin of it as the south, think of it as "has to be better than the far upper west"
there are plenty of riders down there, plus bmw of daytona is only 90 miles away. they certainly are considered a top notch dealer as they get mucho manufacturer support because of bike week. of course i can not speak of their school systems or what have you. not sure what your poloitical motivation is but it wont bother you if you are a flaming, bleeding heart, tree hugging, frog licking, granola bar eatin liberal...and if you are a sensible, progressively minded conservative, then you will be just fine as well. hope this helps coming from a person that travels to florida every year and rides an S.
repoe3
Old 10-22-2002, 01:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BMVay Send a message via Yahoo to BMVay
Fair riding but d*m HOT most of the year, “11 Turns 311 Miles”... Nice new track in North FL at Jennings. You’ll find the best riding north FL and your only 375 scenic miles from the North GA. mountains some of the best riding in the country an easy 1.5k mile weekends, do it all the time.

BMW of Daytona has new ownership lots of backing but a little too up scaled for my taste. A new dealer has opened in Tallahassee much more down to earth guys. BMWNEF club out of Jacksonville can offer some good connections a laid back group.

Ocala FL nice place, good K-12 school system not far from Gainesville and Tallahassee both college towns lots to do...

Good luck on your move...
Old 10-23-2002, 05:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the inputs. I'll be down there this weekend (Friday-Monday) so I can experience a little of it myself.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You'll have to invest in a Joe Rocket Phoenix outfit or something like that. It is 85 degrees today in Ft. Lauderdale and we are almost in November. A lot of biker gathering spots but the rides are basically flat and straight. At least you can ride year around except between 3-5PM in the summer during the lightning storms and heavy showers.

441 Cycle (Ft. Lauderdale) has excellent mechanical service and if your farther south you can join our BMW club that rides every Sunday morning leaving Plantation. A lot of "S" riders in the fast riding pack.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 10-24-2002, 02:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: