Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I wanted a quick shifter and Robert Foster offered to hook me up with a "GP" shifter (not reverse pattern, think it was the brand name) but I haven't had any luck reaching him. So, I did some looking around and the Starlane is universal, looks like it will easily install, tuneable, etc. Not to mention I think it might be Italian (sexy).

It does not use a load cell like the others. It uses a piezo (ceramic) to sense shifting. I work with these at work, nice stuff and very reliable.

Here's some pics. What's in the box.

Here is the sensor installed, which was ridiculously easy. Please forgive the focus, I even screw up auto focus.

You insert it in the 12V supply to the coil and you need to pay attention to the order of the color wires you are splicing into. Add 12V power and a ground. Here it is installed under the seat where the tire plugs used to go.

You'll also see I added a Dobeck/Techlusion Gen 2 power commander kind of piggyback tuner. There ARE better ones than this one, not to mention later models that can also remove fuel where as this one can only add. I had 2 motivations for picking this one, 1) it was cheap on ebay (brand new) and 2) you can tune in your driveway by ear and nose. I'm running the BBPower in Stage 4 (like the mileage) but it is a bit anemic. With the 13:1s, I've been concerned I would burn it down so I was looking for some easy enrichment and this unit tunes like you do carbs (more or less). Very simple, even I can do it. It is crude, nothing as good as a properly mapped bike and it doesn't do anything for timing. So, now the bike is a little rich but feels much stronger. I'll be on the track Tuesday, so we'll see how much more I like it. I plan to go on a dyno as an improvement on my driveway tuning. I also plan to resync the throttle bodies with the BBPower set at Stage 5 and retune. Stage 5 will also allow me to advance or retard my timing.

Test rode it and the Starlane works. Full throttle upshifts are nice and it also works on down shift but you still have to blip the throttle or your clutch pays and you feel the tire skid a bit depending on how hard you are down shifting (RPM-wise). I think I want one of these for my tourer now too.
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 08-23-2015 at 06:21 PM..
Old 08-23-2015, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
OK, did Keith Code again yesterday at Milleville. Rear gearing is almost perfect for this track. Forget VIR or anything with a longer straight.

Bottom line, I'm definiately faster on the S1000RR than my sooped up boxer but I guess that is to be expected. Front end was pushing a little in first session, so I put a GPA on, man they work! Once you get heat in them, they are awesome. Tons of grip.

The quickshifter was great both up and down shifting. Really glad I did this. The only problem is I need more power band, too narrow. If I can't fix this with tuning, I'm seriously thinking of a smaller cam (R1200S cams?). Really pulls hard above 5500-6000 RPM but hardly falls out of a tree below that.

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 08-26-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
OK, reset the BBPower chip at Stage 5 and resync'd the throttle bodies (stops). With just a little enrichment, I can now get it to idle down to a 1000 RPM, albeit, somewhat rough. Idles much better now but still have some room for improvement. I also need to play with the transition for better midrange.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
OK, now I've moved from MD to NM and finally getting some time in to play with my toys. Sadly I'm parting out my R1150S Tourer and keeping my R1150S Project Bike. My Project bike had Ohlins on it and they were honestly pretty good. However, I can tell the difference between them and my Wilbers with high and low speed compression damping, so I'm putting the Wilbers on the Project Bike.

Here's the rear Wilbers installed. Pic is turned 90 degrees CCW.

High and low speed compression adjusters.

Preload adjuster. Pic is turned 90 degrees CCW.

I've had these shocks for a long time. Had them rebuilt around 50K miles. I did change one thing this time, I decided I wanted high and low speed compression damping up front like Nate Kern had with his Ohlins. Jeff atthe Beemer Shop took care of me and they ginned up just such a shock. That installs tomorrow, if my new to me lathe delivery doesn't tie me up all day.

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 12-18-2016 at 07:58 PM..
Old 12-17-2016, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Finally doing some work to get the bike back on the road, my LED rear turn signals were blinking way too fast and I needed to address some wiring issues with the tail light...

I added some ballast resistors to fix my fast blinking problem and get the wiring behind the body work, half a dozen solder sleeves later the wiring is addressed...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 06-02-2018 at 10:12 PM..
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I moved over to my clear LED tail light that flashes when I hit the brakes...

Need to get to finish mounting the front shock reservior and high foot pegs next, put the exhaust back on, etc. and that's a fresh Dunlop 180 on the rear there...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 06-02-2018 at 10:18 PM..
Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post

From other side.

Damn those PVMs look good!

Damn straight they do!!!
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 06-03-2018, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
OK, got a bug up my ass to ride this bike to TOR. If I can finish putting some of it back together and resync it, then get tags, I'm in business. We'll see...

One of the things I needed to do was install the Metisse foot controls I swapped for. Started with the right (brake) side, ran into a hitch or two I've worked out...

Here's how it looks finished, these things weight almost nothing...took controls apart and re-lubed it, had to use oil, grease was making them stick...which they had bearings in the pivots like my Satos...the master cylinder pivot is from an R or GS, not like my S one...

Upgraded toe peg to a pivoting one...it's a Woodcraft, they're cheap and bolted right up...

Here's what I left off and replaced besides the controls...that's a stock GS line that I took off...

These move my feet back and up to help with my toe dragging but it also meant the hard line that came with the bike didn't fit by a good bit, so I stepped back and just asked my self why I needed it at all and found an old stainless line that allowed me to simply run it straight from the master cylinder to the caliper, like it should be without ABS...bleeding them was easy and fast...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 07-08-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
And the saga continues! Thanks for the update." Top of The Rockies" isn't far from Albuquerque, just a nice jaunt, right in the 11S's balliwick as you well know. Nice job.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
BAd, just am fyi, I had the clear tail light & my friends following me said it was really hard to see in daylight. I went back to the red lens & they say it shows up much better now. Looked bright to me in the garage but not on the road to friends & enemies.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Thanx Buz, it's coming back together pretty quick this time, have a list of upgrades I'm putting on this time and it's 7-8 hrs superslab it, my route will take more like 12-13 hrs, leaving early, gonna have to miss Thursday and ride up on Friday, will be camping at the goal post with the rest of the degenerates...

Thanx sgoodwin, I sometimes have some overhang which helps. I have clear front lenses and this matches them. I'll be selling it next year when I go to GXSR tail and revised mass centralization exhaust...

The Remus Sebring exhaust went on easy peasy for a change, little less than an hour, a first for these things, they can be so stuborn, Scotchbrite the joints, 3-in-1 oil them, put them on in the right order and then the muffler with a rubber mallet (hit the end of the pipe, not the can ends, they'll ding, still have the wrap on them, the 3-in-1 oil will burn off when I start it...

Pre-muffler...this part will be handy when I fab the new exhaust when I get to it...

Tuned up the clear coat on my carbon rear fender, didn't get the deep gloss look I was looking for, paint can, I'm no pro...

Pulled the front wheel to take off the GPA (track tire) and put on my last Q2 I had...

Dunlop GPA has worked...Keith Code at Milleville a couple of years ago before moving to NM, love this tire for grip...

Finish front tomorrow, then off on a biz trip...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 07-09-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Rear is done, had to drill new license mounting holes, NM plates are noticeably smaller than MD plates, I use security screws for all my license plate mounts, they'll steal your plate just for the current sticker here...

License plate mount, can't buy this, it's custom made for this, made out of Aluminum...

Rear fender clear coat looks just OK, didn't get the gloss I was hoping for...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 07-10-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Front tire is done and balanced, front end back together...

Also finally mounted the front shock high and low speed compression damper reservoir, Jim at Ted's made this mod with permission from Wilbers, it's a first here in the states, so I'm crossing my fingers the first try is right, if not, it comes out back to Ted's for tweaking, which means this won't make the rally...

Tried to start the bike tonight, battery is hurt, will swap out when I get back from my trip...
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Finished installing the shifter foot controls with added pivoting toe peg, new grease, shifter pivot foams...

Finally put the horn back on, stock one, which I reorientated to clear the front shock reservoir and reach the wiring harness...

Finally, did an injector upgrade to the R1200 ones and resync'd the throttle bodies, which I hated doing...reset the butterflies again...not fun on a 100F day...

Here they are back to back, stock, then the 1200 with adapters installed, they 2 extra O-rings go into the bottom of the throttle body per instructions...

Here's the R1200 part number our man from Denmark uses (they're new)...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; 07-15-2018 at 10:06 PM..
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: