Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
BMW Roundel R1100S Idle

Hello, I recently purchased a 2001 R1100SA with about 42000 miles on it, stepping up from a F650GS. Needless to say, this was quite a step. I love the bike, even if the ride is completely different than what I've been used to

The only issue I'm having with it is it's idle. It idles fine at fast idle (with the "choke" engaged) and once warm it idles okay for periods of time. It will sit and idle fine for 30 seconds or so, then stumble, catch itself, then idle fine again, till the next stumble. Most of the time it recovers fine, but occasionally will die, if I don't catch it and give it a bit more throttle.

I've read through most everything I've found here on idle issues. I've checked the cables, and the cable adjustment, I've checked the throttle body balance, I haven't checked that both butteflies are set exactly same and (so far) I've left the TPS alone. The butterflies are next on the list, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what, if anything, else I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance

Ray Cole

Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's always a good idea to start with a tune-up.
You can adjust the valves when the engine is cold.
You can adjust the idle when the engine is warmed up.

The stumble might be another problem.
You can check the spark plugs - if you have a single spark engine, double -platinums were made for your engine. But there is nothing wrong with using what ever spark plugs fit. You can buy spark plugs anywhere.
You can replace the spark plug wires .
If you have a single spark engine, the single coil , situated under the gas tank , does cause problems, but less so than the other 2 above.

Both of these companies are great :

BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle, Used BMW motorcycle parts, BMW motorcycle salvage

Ignition
Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Mine was doing that. I cleaned the carbon off the brass air mixture screws in the throttle bodies and solved the problem. turn them in till they seat gently counting how many turns out they were. clean them with some carb cleaner and a paper towel. reinstall and put them back where they were. (number of turns from seated)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
that many miles clean the throttle butterflies and ajusters,
one side will probably be lean.
replace the spark plugs, lots of opinions here, ive been using the bosch 4 electrode ones.
valves should be ajusted cold
Old 09-21-2016, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I'd already replaced the plugs, I used iridiums, I know there's a lot of thoughts on them, but I've always had good luck with them on the F650.

I'm going to look at the adjusters next, they'll be the easiest to get to. Valve adjustment has been on the list, I've poured over the adjustment for dummies multiple times, now I just have to make time to do it. Along with time for standard maintenance.

Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions, Happy Riding!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
idle , idle problem , r1100s