Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

When I fitted a PC in 06 there was a drop in mpg to low 40's a change in the injectors and a change of gearing gives me mid 50's no matter what, combine that with a 25L tank and the bike has tremendous range.

This thread that took me on a magical mystery tour of gearing years ago you'll need to log in to read it all.

R1100S gearing - www.boxertrix.com
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I bought the matched EV14 injectors adapters and extra O-rings (in case I messed up) about a year ago from Keith Gibbons at Injector Rehab in New Jersey Injector-Rehab Fuel Injector Cleaning Services. They arrived three days later and I installed on my '99 R11S, 20K miles.

Keith will provide rehabbed or new Bosch injectors with complete flow test report at ALL ranges. You can even request (and pay for) a vid of the test on YOUR injectors. He sells the adapters and O-rings separately or as a kit with the injectors. Also sells the tiny injector filters.

The OEM injectors were 4 hole EV4 (6?) as I recall. EZ swap on the boxer, maybe an hour total. Also did the AF-Xied at the same time, but that takes longer.

The combined effect is to date the best performance and driveability improvement I've made AND the least expensive. I'd suspect most of that comes from the AF-Xied, but the matched injectors sure did help the smoothness. All the TB (air) balancing with a Harmonizer is worthless without equal fuel to go with the balanced air. Lots of discussions over on the BMWSportTouring oilhead forum about EV14 injectors.

I didn't take any pics of the R11S EV14 install but I did with the R11RT in May this year: https://goo.gl/photos/oQ8BBhTRRHQHPW5B7

I even tried to do something similar this past weekend on my '00 K12RS injectors, but that is still a work in progress, some kinks to work out. Keith came up with some injectors and adapters which are fine but the plumbing is different on a K.

Keith was very helpful, over the phone and by email. I thought beemer drivers were persnikety until I heard his race boat owner stories.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I ran this by RC Engineering ( RC Fuel Injection ) and this is what I received from Wayne at RC yesterday: (makes for easier reading if you make your browser window more narrow)

"Generally, when an injector sprays fuel, a super-wide, misting spray pattern will have an easier time burning fuel when a spark plug ignites at idle and low engine rpms (up to middle throttle) compared to a narrow directed pattern. However, at middle throttle to redline, narrow patterns directed at the back of the intake valves help to shove fuel into the combustion chamber so that you can shift without losing rpms. By forcing the fuel into the valve, youíre ensuring that fuel is present for the next combustion event which helps to maintain power and prevent power loss.

RC Fuel Injection is mainly a motorsports company and our founder, Russ, was a professional drag racer. So, our focus is usually to help tune engines for peak torque and horsepower. Most of RCís injectors are purposely designed with narrow spray angles so that all of the fuel volume from an injector shoots directly into the back of the intake valves.

So, a ďbetterĒ injector spray pattern is going to depend on the purpose for your motorcycle and its engine. If you ONLY change injectors, then foggy, very wide spray patterns likely are going to allow the spark plugs to blow up fuel more complete at idle up to middle throttle versus narrow-patterned injectors. Also, at high engine speeds these fogging injectors develop fuel puddles along the sides of the intake ports, valve, and valve seat edges which can hurt top-end power and torque. Alternatively, injectors with narrow, directed patterns may not allow the spark plugs to explode fuel as complete as a fogger at idle and just off idle; however, they will run the engine more efficiently and with less power loss from mid-throttle to redline. Fogger patterns are better down low and laser beam patterns are better up top.

There are three primary ways to get smaller fuel droplets. One option is to install an injector set with smaller discharged holes but the same flow rate as the stock units. A second method is to raise the fuel pressure which will make the fuel fan out more (like your water nozzle at home) resulting in smaller droplets. Or third, you can do both and install injectors with smaller holes and raise the rail pressure. Option 2 and 3 will make your motor run rich because raising the pressure will also increase fuel volume, so youíll have to pull back volume by using tuning the computer and telling the injectors to deliver less fuel. In the many, many years than Iíve been at RC, Iíve never come across anyone thatís done Option 1 and then given me any feedback on if switching the injectors improved idle quality, acceleration & deceleration, gas mileage, or any resulted in any other measureable advantages. In fact, I canít recall anyone actually switching to injectors with the same flow rate as the ones they were removing but just with more holes or smaller holes on any motor, ever.

The stock injectors on your 2004 BMW R1100S flow approximately 320-325 cc/min at 43.5 psi of fuel pressure. Many people have installed our 370 cc/min upgrade injectors for motorsports and everyday road motorcycles. Our SL2-0370 injectors spray out into a single 10-degree fuel cone. The stock oxygen sensor will control and smooth out the extra 45-50 cc/min added by installing 370 cc/min injectors at idle (when the ECU is in closed-loop). Although you are able to run these injectors on the stock computer and O2, every engine will realize it greatest gains when you reprogram the computer during acceleration and deceleration (when the ECU is in open-loop).

In actual practice, if the computer definitely will be reprogrammed, tuners will install the largest injector that they can get to idle normal, raise the fuel rail pressure as high as possible for best atomization, and then pull back all of the extra volume and injector timing through the ECU. With this method, youíll always have more than enough fuel to prevent pre-detonation and youíll have extra fuel for room to add more power in the future.

Without tuning the ECU, dropping the fuel pressure and leaning out the motor will usually allow you to pickup power and increase gas mileage a bit because all motors run slightly rich from the factory to prevent detonation. If your motor is nearly stock, installing a piggy-back or stand-alone computer and optimizing the fuel (leaning out the richness of the factory tune, increasing rev limit, properly tuning ignition at every rpm, etc.) will allow you to gain power and improve fuel mileage.

If an injector spray pattern has droplets that are too fat for a spark plug to explode, then your tuner with increase the pressure and take away injector pulse to make the injector spray with the correct volume for complete combustion. In other words, the tuner will tune-out any issues cause by differences in injector spray patterns.

RC Fuel Injectionís SL2-0370 injectors have been used as upgrades for many daily-ridden R1100S motorcycles. If you have plans to increase air volume and horsepower, like boring & stroking the engine, porting & polishing the heads, installing high-lift & long-duration cams, or boosting the motor, then you absolutely will benefit by making sure that you have more fuel."

Saturated Injector SL2-0370
Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: