Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/)
-   -   Best battery for the BCR (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/942384-best-battery-bcr.html)

BadToTheBown 06-18-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch1100 (Post 9439357)
Shore Lithium in my BCR..don't need a trickle charger.

Now have LiFe batts in all my bikes from various manufacturers. As stated, they are significantly lighter, go longer without losing charge and strong crankers. However, there are a few caveats: 1) ~30 seconds with head light on first when cold helps cranking (gets the current going or something), 2) your bike's charging system is NOT designed to charge these batts like you need and 3) use a LiFe batt charger.

Your bike will charge a LiFe batt, no question. However, it will simply charge it until the whole battery hits it's voltage but these batteries are a collection of cells with enough variation to have some fully charge before others. So, some cells fully charge (top off) while the balance ended up undercharged to their capacity because the charging system has charged the whole batt to it's system charge for the bike to operate as it was designed.

OK, our bikes were designed for a different kind of batt. I killed my first Shorai this way. IF you use a proper charger that tops off all the cells in the battery every month or so, you can avoid developing a low charge memory in those cells that never top off because your charging system is done when the whole batt hits it's charge value.

No problems since using these chargers, just my 2 cents...

sgoodwin 06-18-2017 01:25 PM

Bad, the newer lithium batteries have a control board that charges all the cells to max so they don't do like you're saying. Probably not all of them yet but most, it will usually mention this feature in the ads or paperwork that comes with them. That's what Deltran claims on theirs, they also say their std. battery tenders will work fine on these, just don't use a charger with a desulphate mode.

BadToTheBown 06-18-2017 03:22 PM

Did not know that, good to hear. I have at least specialty chargers for my batts and they're all 2-3 years old now. Glad to hear built this into the batteries now, thanx for letting me know.

tomvv11 08-15-2017 09:30 AM

How do folks fit a battery as large as an Odyssey PC680 into an R1100S? Looked at mine last night and it seems like the battery box would not accept one wider and deeper than 7x3" but the specs on the PC680 are 7.9x7.8x3.8". Presently have a 19AH Yuasa, age unknown, and starting takes a lot more cranking than it used to. I fear getting stranded in work's underground garage.
Thinking of a LiFePO4 but looking at a larger one than the 14AH one that fits the box using foam pieces. The 21AH is specified for the S by Shorai but both it and the 24AH cases are 3.23" and 3.36" deep, respectively. If I can fit a higher cap LiFe battery that would be my preference.
Anyone modified their battery box without cutting and rewelding?

Chris Canning 08-15-2017 10:11 AM

PC 680 drops straight in with no problem,only folks with big tanks have a problem and that is resolved with a 545.

sgoodwin 08-15-2017 10:46 AM

Not only will it drop right in, it will fit with the steel casing on also.

Tirefriar 01-28-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgoodwin (Post 9701081)
Not only will it drop right in, it will fit with the steel casing on also.

Are you talking about a PC680 or PC545?

Shopping for the PC680, I noticed that it comes with female terminals. What terminals does the BCR application require?

sgoodwin 01-29-2018 02:32 AM

PC 680, it bolts right up no problems. My original battery in the bike was a PC680 with the steel case. I just removed it & put it on my replacement PC680, it was held on with clear silicone so a bit of fun to get off. Still prefer the weight savings of the lithium.

Meeni 01-29-2018 06:51 AM

The PC 680 comes with modular terminals, you just bolt the wire harness directly onto the battery in the R11s application. The PC680 lives to the hype.

Nitro 01-29-2018 07:13 AM

Ditto on the PC680, it's an amazing product.

As far as lithium go, if you like to get stranded in cold weather go for it!

I live in Florida not MI and if it gets below 40, the bike won't crank at all even with the 30-60 sec warm up; not worth the weight saving. I did try all the brands: Shorai, Zero-gravity, Ballistics, you name it, it's all junk in my book.

Tirefriar 01-29-2018 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone for solid advice. Went ahead with a PC680:

https://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc680-battery.html

They also have a metal jacket one but wasn't sure of the difference. Pric wise it's just $10 bucks or so, but iare there any benefits?

sgoodwin 01-30-2018 05:38 AM

Heat & vibration protection, maybe & it fits tighter in the mount, not a big deal.

Chris Canning 01-30-2018 09:08 AM

For me itís not just batteries per se but access,iíve run a lithium on my SuperMoto for 4 years and itís as good as day one and may well try one on m X/R and the K the Tiger has an after market Reg/Rec that doesnít lithium so that just leaves the 1100 and while I have a brand new lith on the shelf never had the balls to use it because itís not as though your going bump start one of these things.

But thereís no doubt these Odysseyís are good Iím on my second 545 (which is certainly a weight saving over a 680) since? 03?

TX_Biker_Scum 02-10-2018 03:58 PM

I just replaced my PC680. 7 years was all I could get out of it, even with the bike sitting on a battery tender when not used. Not that 7 years isn't pretty good for a battery, it just seems like it went by quickly and I hate when batteries need replacing because it seems so random to me.

I put another PC680 in as the replacement. I'm hoping not to have to change it out for another 7 years.

Tirefriar 02-11-2018 09:02 AM

I received the battery but holding off on installation until I can get my hands on proper intake and SJ filter. Will report back once installed

cyotee01 02-16-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch1100 (Post 9439357)
Shore Lithium in my BCR..don't need a trickle charger.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thappy 02-21-2018 01:29 AM

I changed my AMG battery with the BMW Exide Gel battery at a dealer service. And I do not why but I would not change back to AMG batteries. I am driving with the Exide Geld battery for already 5 years and I have never had any problems.
Does anyone also use the Exide gel battery?

Meeni 02-24-2018 06:23 PM

I do not understand your message. Exide is a brand, AGM is a technology. The Exide Gel Battery is probably an AGM battery. Many other brand also make very good quality AGM batteries.

Tirefriar 05-27-2018 09:01 PM

I installed the Odyssey battery. Didn't button up the bike yet, tested it out. Starts perfect but the brake failure light is blinking. While it's on the pit bull stands ran the bike gently in first gear then shifted to second. Nothing wild but the light still blinks. Any recommendations? Do I need a reset?

sgoodwin 05-28-2018 05:52 AM

Pull off all the abs related garbage & go for s.s. lines from master to caliper, viola no more abs problem & great brakes appear. That's what I did & would never go back to abs.