Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best battery for the BCR

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but with advent of new technology I hope my inquiry is relevant. My battery is giving up a ghost. I'm looking for the latest and the greatest that works best on a 2004 Boxer Cup. I would prefer a type of battery that would work with a factory trickle charger, but open to recommendations.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Lead acid and gel batteries should be ok on a stock trickle charger. LiFePO4 batteries require a different intelligent charger like the CTek. The latter batteries are also lighter.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Any negative affects on the charging system or electronics in general?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

An intelligent stock or Optimate will not fully charge the LiFePO4 batteries. You will need a CTek or similar to charge LiFePO4 batteries. No issues with mine. Keep it charged every so often, cranks the bike ok, no issues to report with the LiFePO4. The charging system just tops up what has been lost, it doesn't drain the battery but uses the battery current to generate current to power the electrical system.

Also make sure your battery contacts are clean and not oxidised, the starter cables are secure and the alternator charges at 14.4V. Also test the battery current (A=Amp) as this is what you need to crank the engine. To test put the multimeter in circuit and not across the poles like testing for voltage. If the amps are down then the battery is duff.

Just an example to help if you are not conversant with it. Remember to disconnect the power source before attaching any test equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWA9WqSEjg8
Old 01-14-2017, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The last battery I purchased was from Beemerboneyward, an AGM, about five years ago. Can't remember the manufacturer as there has never been a reason to pull fairings off since. Cost? Do remember about $80.
Know there are several websites that sell batteries only. AGM batteries ship just fine.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the recommendations. I did some search through bike forums and many psi tie comments about the AGM batteries. Motobatt is about $85 incl shipping. I also came across comments that these are sensitive to overcharge. I use the BMW battery charger, will this be fine or do I need something else?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have been using BMW trickle charger part # 71 60 7 688 865. Works fine on AGM.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i have battery tender on all my bikes including the r1100s (AGM batteries) all the time. Works great. I don't ride them often and still they start right up.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great to know. Thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexiform View Post
i have battery tender on all my bikes including the r1100s (AGM batteries) all the time. Works great. I don't ride them often and still they start right up.
I used to do that till I took a bike off one rode 175 miles and the battery died As soon as I stopped the bike because the tender had been masking the condition of the battery,put the tender on for a couple of days take the bat to full charge then leave off for 3 weeks and start again.

If it won't stand for 3 weeks you know its real condition.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 01-17-2017, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
I agree with Chris, no need to keep it on the charger forever. I've found if left too long it tends to fry the battery even with a tender with maintenance mode.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
The best battery isn't the one that starts the bike in the garage before a ride. It's the one that starts the bike when you're out in the middle of nowhere for the ride home.

Chris is right too. A green BatteryTender light in the garage doesn't mean the battery is good once you're on the road.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
In line with that:
Left the house yesterday morning, went down to the beach to check the surf. There I tried to start the bike... one click... everything dead. Had to go home, get an older battery in order to even start the bike, Wouldn't start, even with jumpers.

AGM battery, some 3 or 4 years old.

Going back to the old tried and trusted PC535. That battery lasted longer than any other I ever had.
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2008 KTM690 Enduro
Old 01-19-2017, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Shore Lithium in my BCR..don't need a trickle charger.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
Old 01-19-2017, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Just looked up Shorai lithium - about 2 1/2 times the price of a Motobatt but almost 4 times lighter. Hmmm....
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Here's what I put in 2 bikes, zx14 & Aprilia mille, both bikes fire right up with this battery & I have only had one on a charger in about 2 years, just because I let the bike sit for a couple months, it didn't really need charging as the light turned green in minutes. They claim it will charge on their tender plus, which it seemed to do just fine.

Deltran Battery Tender Battery Lithium Iron Phosphate 14 Amp 240 CCA- BTL14A240C | eBay
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks sgoodwin. This seems like a great deal, I contacted the seller.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Wait til you see how small these are. They come with a pile of stick on foam blocks so you can fit them to any size hole. They weigh literally nothing.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Sgoodwin, how long have you had your Mille and how do you like it? I went to ProItalia, local dealer for Italian brands, and was very impressed with Aprilia. I put my SB8R without looking to replace it, but what I seen and what I read about Aprilia RSV and RSVR was very impressive. I think if I'll make a move, it will be on the RSVR Factory
Old 01-22-2017, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
I've had the Mille for about 3 years. I got it with only 8k on it & now have over 20k on it now. I find the handling near telepathic. Only had a couple problems, one electrical, which the Italians are infamous for. I eliminated one of the plugs from the stator to the regulator that was starting to get crispy & gained about 2 volts extra charging power. Mechanically my only problem was a leaky clutch slave which is nowhere near the problem it is with the bmw. I fell in love with the motor on the first test ride & have only done some minor work to improve on it, a modified collector pipe & a gabro's chip have opened up power from end to end of the rev range. A friend has the RSVR & I find I like my Mille better even though his is more powerful, the seating is more on than in & I find that more comfortable. If your interested in all things Aprilia you might check out AF-1's forum...ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.. I'm not the only one here on it.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: