Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is there no one relatively local to you who could re-upholster your existing base?

We are lucky here in the U.K. Lots of little bespoke businesses who can do this kind of stuff and most are within easy reach being a small island.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Tumbling Tumbleweed

You might try motoskiveez - padded moto underwear. Havent tried them myself:

http://motoskiveez.com/

I find the stockseat the most comfortable of all I have tried. Corbin was horrible, rock hard. I had an extra seat and had it 'custom' padded, it was comfy, but too tall, used the Russell foam, they will sell you a section of foam.

Good luck
Old 03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
It's not a nice looking solution, but if I'm going to spend a full day on the r1200s with a couple hours of boring highways mileage, I throw the air hawk cushion on. Then when I get to the good riding roads I take it off and store it in a small tail bag until it's time to ride home. Still not as nice as finding a really great seat, but I too can't handle the stock seat for much more than a couple hours.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman View Post
You might try motoskiveez - padded moto underwear. Havent tried them myself:

http://motoskiveez.com/

I find the stockseat the most comfortable of all I have tried. Corbin was horrible, rock hard. I had an extra seat and had it 'custom' padded, it was comfy, but too tall, used the Russell foam, they will sell you a section of foam.

Good luck
Ordered the padded hot shorts. I will finally have something to wear with my chaps now besides my thong.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMiker View Post
Ordered the padded hot shorts. I will finally have something to wear with my chaps now besides my thong.
And you wonder why you have buttburn?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Tumbling Tumbleweed

Also, alaska leather makes the "sheepskin buttpad" seat cover. See it here;

https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads

I have used it on an 800 GS, the stock seat was worse for me than the 1200s seat.

It has many other uses, makes a great camp pillow (use the fluffy or smooth side). Used it on a rear rack as a rear seat when I had an unexpected passenger on a GS with a solo seat. Road side repair knee pad, etc

Easy to attach or just use it loose on the seat. Would only add a tiny bit of height and doesnt look bad permanently mounted.

Might work with chaps or thongs ;^)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Home - Moto-Skiveez

These work well. Rode a solid 2 hours today and was a little sore at the end but not in pain. Could have gone longer.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMiker View Post
Home - Moto-Skiveez

These work well. Rode a solid 2 hours today and was a little sore at the end but not in pain. Could have gone longer.
BikerMiker, Thanks much for the order and for the endorsement! I'm actually the guy that created this product. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can provide any information on any of our other products. Ride safely and Thanks again!!

Old 03-25-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Mike - sorry you are having some much seat trouble. I rode my Sargent saddle home from VA and was in the saddle for 8-9 hours each day without issue.

I also had my GS saddle done by Sargent and now it feels like I am riding on a cloud.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post
Update on Kahedo. Because of customs issues, they don't ship to USA. Anybody in Canada want to serve as middleman?
I sometimes wonder if I was their last USA customer. Got a tail bag for my R1100S from them a couple years ago and it was a PITA doing the bank transfer thing. Maybe the currency fluctuated during the process and they lost money--who knows
'01 Boxster
Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
'98 VFR800 and '07 R1200

Garage
I have a (rock hard) Corbin on my R12s and can easily ride through a tank with no issues. I'd prefer a Sargent, but can't find my stock seat base, it was in my truck and I suspect my wife tossed it, but won't admit to it.

I did 3hrs Sunday, combination of some freeway and a lot of back roads.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Is there no one relatively local to you who could re-upholster your existing base?

We are lucky here in the U.K. Lots of little bespoke businesses who can do this kind of stuff and most are within easy reach being a small island.
Good point. For what it's worth I bought a late 90's Ducati M750 (after an 18yr absence from motorbikes) and I really enjoyed it, except for the seat. The m750 seat is "cupped" to hold the rider in place. That concept doesn't work well for me as I like to change my riding position slightly especially on long rides. So I removed the seat covering and shaved the cushion flat from the "cupped" area back to almost the passenger portion of the seat.

I then had the seat recovered using the original cover ($40). Now I can easily move back and forth several inches while I'm riding and surprisingly that makes all the difference in riding comfort. It allows me to change the pressure point or better yet, to relieve the built up pressure.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
kahedo , r1200s seat