Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2004 R1100S with stumble on acceleration at 5000rpm

Hello everyone!

I have a 2004 r1100s with about 27500 miles on it. Been a great bike but I recently developed a stumble on acceleration at around 5000rpm.

If I accelerate hard up through the rev range at about 5000rpm the bike just loses power and then picks back up again although not quite as strong the rest of the way.

It happened yesterday and kind of scared me because I wasn't ready for the power to dip like that.

It also does seem to idle a bit erratic. It will start up and it seems like once it's warmed up it idles rough and every once in a while it's like a cylinder isn't getting fuel and it almost dies (well.. it has died out before). Now I've noticed too that it will something just surge a bit at idle. Kind of settles and than surges a tiny but and back to stable.

I have put new plugs in recently which are what was recommended on here.

I just had it in to the official BMW service centre here and I had them pull the throttle bodies apart and they gave them one of those baths to clean them up good. They reset all the cables, double checked the TPS setting, did the valves and a throttle body balance on the BMW computer.

He thought maybe that would fix it. I thought it was good because it didn't seem to do it at first but it started again after the bike was warmed up good.

Any suggestions? I love the bike but this is a bit annoying!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If, I was a betting man- Injectors blocked?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Before you go bananas trying to fix it, consider the possibility of a tank of bad gas... Unless it's been a consistent problem for a while.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Just talked to my mechanic.. he said when he serviced it the plugs were pretty black and they were pretty much brand new when it went in. I did install an AX-IFIED unit on the bike. He thinks maybe it's running TOO rich. He thought taking that off and seeing what happens might be good. I'll try that!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Before you go bananas trying to fix it, consider the possibility of a tank of bad gas... Unless it's been a consistent problem for a while.
Yeah.. I only use Premium 91 octane gas and it's done it for the last 4 - 5 tanks. I have also run a bottle of fuel injection cleaner through as well.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofDavid View Post
Just talked to my mechanic.. he said when he serviced it the plugs were pretty black and they were pretty much brand new when it went in. I did install an AX-IFIED unit on the bike. He thinks maybe it's running TOO rich. He thought taking that off and seeing what happens might be good. I'll try that!
90% of the problems here are self inflicted it seems.

Hopefully your mechanic is an experienced BMW motorcycle mechanic, and not just a shadetree.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
My R1200GS had this issue and so did my old R1100S... both times it was electrical. On the 11S it was a bad/broken spark plug boot/wire. On the R12 it was a bad coil.

These bikes are getting older and as such so is the rubber that, when you perform a spark plug change, can crack/break. Check it and see.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have the same symptoms as the OP. However, I do my own wrenching.

I installed a dan moto pipe and AX-IFIED. (set on 6?) It ran well for 300-400 miles and then developed a stutter/misfire around 5000 rpms. I really does not like to rev past that. Fuel economy has dropped considerably (20%-25%)

This week things stated getting worse. The bike stall intermittently. Sometimes at a stop light, sometimes driving 50mph steady throttle, sometimes in a corner. It is totally random.
Starts right back up though.

One thought is to disconnect the AX-IFIED to eliminate that component. I had to replace the fuel pump 8000 miles ago. It only has 11k on it now. I've owned it since it was new.

This weekend I might pull out the hall effect to check the wiring.

I've got one of those love/hate things going on with this motorcycle.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
coils are commonly the cause of this and the fastest thing to check.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Stick coils on those have proven to be unreliable & failure prone compared to the external style on the older bikes, I'm with Brent, check them first. As both of you are running AX-IFIED units I would disconnect those after checking the coils if they're not the problem. As said above the electrical insulation on these is aging & somewhat fragile, it's easy the create a short moving it around, almost all my wire sheathing has crumbled on my '99.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Your symptoms sound similar, but not quite exact, to what I experienced right after getting my bike: Intermittent Loss of Power on R1100S - Help Needed!

Long story made short: the fuel lines inside the gas tank had developed cracks, meaning the the pressure was "leaking" back into the tank, and not enough fuel was flowing to the injectors. Replacing the internal fuel lines made it all better.

By the way, a valve adjustment and throttle sync did wonders for my bike in terms of smooth idle and ease of starting.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminspaaace View Post
Your symptoms sound similar, but not quite exact, to what I experienced right after getting my bike: Intermittent Loss of Power on R1100S - Help Needed!

Long story made short: the fuel lines inside the gas tank had developed cracks, meaning the the pressure was "leaking" back into the tank, and not enough fuel was flowing to the injectors. Replacing the internal fuel lines made it all better.

By the way, a valve adjustment and throttle sync did wonders for my bike in terms of smooth idle and ease of starting.
This is a very good suggestion. It is quite common for the hoses to start leaking and the first symptoms are what is being described, followed a while later by sudden complete failure.

Here is a way to test the fuel system without having to remove the tank: R1150 Fuel System Diagnostic Tool - BMWSportTouring Forums.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sorry for intruding on HeartofDavid's thread. I didn't want a duplicate titled thread side-by-side.

Anyway, pulled my tank and noticed condition of the connector wires to the crank sensor. I doubt they are any better down below.

I might as well replace those pesky fuel pump lines while it's apart.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, so this morning took the AX-IFIED unit off. Back to factory. Took it for a good 1.5 hour drive today. Still stumbling at that 5000 - 7000rpm range. It's like it will drop than come back and dip again anywhere from 5000 - 7000 when hard on the throttle.

I also noticed it even at 4000 - 4500 rpm while just cruising a bit. Just a bit but there.

It all seems worse once it warms up... if that is any sign of anything!

I guess I'll just take it back to the service centre and tell them about all things you all mentioned and see if they can trouble shoot.

Maybe I'll see if I can do some of this on my own! I have a the same love/hate relationship. Love the bike.. when it's running right! ha ha
Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
You can also check to see if the gasoline tank is venting.
Un-lock gas cap when riding ( diagnostic purpose only ) or check vent hose for air flow.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Tried the gas cap thing.. no difference. I am suspecting coils. I started it up and ran it a bit.. then disconnected the right hand side coil.. nothing really changed. I would think it would run rougher right? Did that the other day with the other side and didn't really seem to be a huge difference..

The coils in it are probably the originals as they say BMW on them.

Anyone know HOW to test the coils to see if it's the coils and not the wiring itself?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The best test is to unplug the lower plugs and see how it runs. It should be smooth. If you have a very bad stick coil, the idle will be quite bad.

Sometimes, the stick coils are degraded but still work. That was the case with mine. I had an idle that would miss a beat every so often. Finally after trying everything else I replaced both stick coils 5,000 miles ago. The bike purrs.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
pretty much the way you did but you need to test them at rpm under load where you are having
the problem, often they will work fine at lower rpm.
same with the center coil firing the lower plugs,
however could be fuel supply or tps or any of the throttle set up stuff,
if you have a throttle that is not synced at that rpm it would do that as well,
can be caused by cable fowling,
and of course still could be fuel supply or temp sensors
Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
The best test is to unplug the lower plugs and see how it runs. It should be smooth. If you have a very bad stick coil, the idle will be quite bad.

Sometimes, the stick coils are degraded but still work. That was the case with mine. I had an idle that would miss a beat every so often. Finally after trying everything else I replaced both stick coils 5,000 miles ago. The bike purrs.
Roger.. thanks SO much! unplugged the bottom spark plugs and went to start it.. Wouldn't fire up! I assume that the ignition coils are most likely the culprit then? I have a BMW 535xi that was doing the same thing pretty much under load and it needed coils too! ha ha I assumed that was probably it!

Tony

Last edited by HeartofDavid; 04-16-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 04-16-2017, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
if neither fired then you have two bad stick coils.
they will run on one spark plug not well,
I usually pick up spares off of ebay
just check you had the side stand up etc. and it should have run.
they are the same for lots of models even the r1200
Old 04-16-2017, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: