Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Pedantic Old Woman

Garage
I'll try that first. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post
Put a rag around the clutch handle and rubber grip. Pull handle back against the grip. Tie it off with Zip tie/ string/heavy rubber band etc. let bike set at least overnight. Cut zip tie and see if clutch release point feels better. 2cnts from tjs
Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #261 (permalink)
Pedantic Old Woman

Garage
The End

tjs' trick worked. Ragged and zip-tied it to the bar for a couple days, and clutch action is fine now, no pulling with the clutch lever in. Engine sounds fine. I'll have to take it for a shakedown run, spin it the eff up and see if anything in the driveline detonates.

So, thoughts after doing this for the first time:

- Previously I've changed fluids and the odd sensor or two, mounted system cases, stuff like that, but never dug in this deep into a bike.

- I found that I really enjoyed working with the torque wrenches. The Home Depot Husky brand inch-pound unit was great for the small stuff, and the 20-110 ft.-lb. unit good for the rest. For many of the fasteners, the manual's torque settings were in fact lighter than what I would have guessed, had I been doing it by hand feel. So I guess I learned something about fasteners and threads, and that my natural instinct is to overtorque.

- Hoses: meh. Not much fun.

- What was the total spend? From the 4/15/17 tow truck to the 6/2/18 parts run to Montgomeryville Cycle: just under $3,100.00 in parts, supplies and necessary tools. A couple of jobs I postponed, to do in the upcoming winter off-season: fuel line quick disconnects; replacement brake hoses.

- I no longer trust the bike, of course. It'll have to earn back my trust, on progressively longer rides.

- Thanks again to everyone here for advice and support. See you on the road.

Last edited by Dana in Philly; 06-06-2018 at 03:32 AM..
Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #262 (permalink)
Pedantic Old Woman

Garage

Old 06-05-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #263 (permalink)
Twin Thumper, IYKWIM

Garage
Took me about a week or two to trust the bike, first time I tore it down to the studs. Second time, only took me a few days to lose the anxiety. Donít worry, youíll stop tiptoeing around her in no time.

Congratulations! Job super well done!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #264 (permalink)

Congrats. that thing looks great. You should be proud of yourself. that was a big project.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 06-06-2018, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #265 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: