Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2000 R1100S Gearbox Removal

This is a duplicate of a message posted in the MOA oilhead forums, but I was directed over here for a good R1100S knowledge source.

So my buddy buys a low mileage 2000 R1100S that looks pristine about a month ago. Then it starts dripping from the bell housing. We know where this is going, but I had no idea what a pain the S is to work on. First off, there is the main frame in the middle so I can't just swing the tail section up and yank the gearbox like I can on my RS and every other oilhead I've worked on. So we go to pull the tail section off, but the silencers won't budge on the pins so we took the subframe off with the cans still attached to it. The cross member is welded to the main frame, so the slave cylinder runs into it on the way out. To pull the gearbox, the main frame has to come off first, but the center stand is attached to it instead of the engine. So we needed to block it up under the engine case first...

Peeling the plastics off an RT is starting to sound fun.

If anyone has been through this on the S and has some shortcuts or insights, I'm all ears. My friend bought this so he wouldn't put so many miles on the R90/6 he inherited from his dad. So much for that plan.

Last edited by rxcrider; 04-21-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There aren't to many shortcuts per se. The one about swinging the tail section up usually applies to the S but you had technical issues and blew that one out of the water.

The search function here will be your best resource. Search the word "spline".

Here's one...

r1100s input shaft spline repair chronicle

While you guys are in there you may as well lube the splines. Hopefully they are in good shape.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
you need to remove the can, spray them with a lube on the haning pins wiggle them around they
will come off
really not much more difficult than any of the rest of them and Ive done them all,
normally I rotate up the subframe with the tail frame after the swing arm is removed.
but there are endless notes here if you do a search
Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

RXC,

Go to "2000 R1100S Driveline Issue" on this forum and scroll down to #20 or so, lots of pics and discussing on removing the tranny. The S has more in common with an 1150 than the 1100. TAKE PICS, you'll need them. AMHIK.

Learning curve ahead!!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I guess I did a poor job of searching.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Jon

Garage
I like and have used this idea on disassembly. As for getting the swing arm back on the output shaft with it all together may prove challenging might need a spotter or two. Best of luck.
Dr. Splinelube…or How I stopped worrying and learn to love the bike…
Old 04-21-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Yeah, timely thread that. It's Spring, and all the young R11s's strip their splines in celebration.

Gonna get started tearing mine down tomorrow. Kinda looking forward to it, to be honest. Get to know the bike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
RXC,

Go to "2000 R1100S Driveline Issue" on this forum and scroll down to #20 or so, lots of pics and discussing on removing the tranny. The S has more in common with an 1150 than the 1100. TAKE PICS, you'll need them. AMHIK.

Learning curve ahead!!

Last edited by Dana in Philly; 04-21-2017 at 01:55 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. Since the rubber brake lines are getting replaced and there was play in the FD pivot bearings, we pivoted the rear subframe and frame up as a unit. The biggest issue we hit was getting the header - cat screws removed. The left side broke free after some some time. The right side had one screw snap and the other strip out and we ended up grinding the head off.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: