Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Enthusiast

Garage
Painted triple trees

This is how the triples should have come from the factory.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
That does look good.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Thanks! Here's a view of the lower. I also painted the brake caliper mounts and a few other tidbits. Don't have the desire to pull the frame...yet. Gotta get some riding in first!

Old 07-05-2017, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Oh rt trailing arm was put in at the same time, new fork seals, and top ball joint boot.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice work! What treatment did you use for the fork tubes?

Love the color too! Is that the BMW Lava orange color from a few years ago used on the K1300S?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
You need to do this!

Brembo Blues!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Yes, Lava Orange from the K1300S ala previous owner. A really good color for the R12S in my opinion.

Fork tubes bottoms only were painted with a rattle can. I didn't prep very well (scuff) the surface so it's likely that the paint will chip easily. It was a quick down and dirty while I had the forks, upper triple, and trailing arm off. They'll be powder coated in the future when I do the rear frame.

Not a fan of the blue calipers. I like the matte black.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Took some Plasti-Dip to the front fairing, center tank cover, and tail light. More pictures to follow.

FYI - I did try pulling the tail light apart with heat applied by a heat gun with no luck and chipped a corner (luckily not visible). I will not try baking it to get it apart, fearing the destruction of the LEDs.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
And with the bodywork back on.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
One more can't hurt of the taillight housing close up.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Barback King

..that's a beauty, love the Orange and black, but I like KTMs....
Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Just wanted to share an update here instead of opening another thread. The plasti-dip is failing slightly on the front fairing due to contact with the mirror. I'll have to dive into an actual paint project for those pieces in the spring.

Since my last post, I have also had the cat cutout and the factory muffler modified. It still has that factory sound, but quite a bit louder, but not nearly as loud as a straight through design. The belly pan has been repainted as the paint I sprayed didn't hold up well without clear. The exhaust has been painted and I have added gloss black valve covers. I'll try to get actual outside pictures later this weekend.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving pelicans!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Enthusiast

Garage
I should add that I built custom led turn signals into factory housings with smoked lenses, custom tidy tail out of a factory plate holder, and am waiting on the plate light to finish it up. For what it is worth, my LEDs draw enough current to flash at the correct speed and are much brighter than the stock bulbs and pretty much all LED aftermarket. (Using an adjustable buck driver 1 10W and 4 3W LEDs driven to close to 70% rated current for a good heat buffer).

Old 11-23-2017, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: