Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New clutch time

So I keep my prized 2004 R1100S over in Germany with Knopf Tours, (if anyone is familiar). Last year I rode it to INTERMOT. Pretty clear, that despite some low miles, it is time for a new clutch. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and am just preparing to place a new slipper into my 2007 R1200GS Adv. I'm looking for advice on the difficulties of replacing a clutch on the R1100S. I know it is not going to be an easy ordeal, but my dilema is I can pay to have the bike taken over to a shop in Germany this winter to have the work performed in their slow season, or I could do it myself next year when I plan on going over for another trip. I could allocate a full day to do the repair and Knopf Tours has access to a full shop with all tools needed. I am just reluctant to trust anyone to do major repairs on my motorcycle. I like being able to know that all of the adjustments are done to spec and any encountered problems will be addressed. However.....I also do not want to spend more than a day trying to do this. Vacation time is precious.

So again, if it is not tooooo problematic, I might choose to do it myself. Just looking for input or opinions.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have done 4 Ss and a GS. To start with I am not professional. Disassembly, inspection, cleaning, finding other things wrong(pivot bearings or leaking seals), assembly and adjustments averages about 20 hours for me, but I am slow.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
I have done 4 Ss and a GS. To start with I am not professional. Disassembly, inspection, cleaning, finding other things wrong(pivot bearings or leaking seals), assembly and adjustments averages about 20 hours for me, but I am slow.
How does the "S" compare to the "GS"? Any notable differences in disassembly or other techniques??
Old 08-05-2017, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
your'e kind of asking us to evaluate your mechanical skills, they can be done in 6 hours,
but only if you are very organized etc proper tools, and have exactly the parts you need.
having done several they can be done in in this time but until you get it apart you
wont know what else it needs, could easily have a bad input shaft or clutch slave.
so its unlikely you will be able to take it apart and put it back together in one day
because you dont know what other parts you will need.
If the transmission is ok then there arent any odd ajustments or other strange things
to be done, any bmw shop will have done lots of these. so get a quote from a dealer,
plan on replacing all 3 parts of the clutch, but starting from scratch not a one day repair.
3-4 hours to take it apart 3-5 hours to put back together but you need parts so you will have
a delay for the parts.
S bikes are different in the way the sub frame sets up than most bmws that the swing arm
attaches to the transmission.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sykospain

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sykospain
See my video of an '04 Rockster clutch replacement - ignore the first few minutes where Tim has to struggle to remove the bespoke and very expensive 3rd party fairing.

Fact is, now that the Spares people in the US and the UK, like Beemerboneyard and Motorworks, have a source of a new clutch plate that comes complete with an extended-length splined hub which now for the first time ever, entirely covers the full length of the gearbox-input-shaft's spline, it's a good idea to fit one of those rather than the standard "Sachs" brand clutch plate with the too-short hub - they're about the same price ! !
I reckon that if you have a modicum of wrenching ability, a deal of patience, access to the web and a workshop manual for back-up confidence, plus some good tools, together with hopefully access to a bike-lift platform to save the pain in your knees, you should save yourself a few hundred, perhaps more than a thousand, Euro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZyER5Sn7E

If that video isn't specific enough for your work on your beautiful 1100S - I had two of 'em in the distant past - the estimable Chris Harris has exhaustive clutch-replacement videos too.

Regards from sweltering Andalucía,
AL in s.e. Spain

Last edited by sykospain; 08-05-2017 at 05:22 AM..
Old 08-05-2017, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

As brentw1 said, the rear frame on the GS is different. ABS vs. non-ABS model is a big difference to me. You can hinge up a non-ABS frame but with the hard lines for the ABS the rear frame will need to be removed and all the electrical wires disconnected. I don't see this as a one day project.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=sykospain;9689124]...now that the Spares people in the US and the UK, like Beemerboneyard and Motorworks, have a source of a new clutch plate that comes complete with an extended-length splined hub which now for the first time ever, entirely covers the full length of the gearbox-input-shaft's spline, it's a good idea to fit one of those rather than the standard "Sachs" brand clutch plate...[QUOTE]

+1 if you search the board for "R1150S Project Bike" my thread might give you some more idea of what you need to do it and offer you an order of operations to do it. R and GS bikes are only a little different, they lack the S subframe which is largely to adapt the K1200RS 6-speed to boxer. You need a fair variety of tools, this might be one for a local Beemer shop there to do...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Toonica,

I did the clutch on my '99 r11s last winter in my brother's shop. It was a slave cyl leak that killed my clutch. Drill a 1/8" dia weep hole while doing anything in there. Replace the slave whatever you do. It took the both of us SEVERAL weekends to complete, and my brother is a motorcycle mechanic with a complete shop, lift, lathe, tools.

As you say vacation time is precious. And you WILL find other stuff that needs fixing while in there. If you can't get it fixed in one day what would you do?? Two days, three days?? What about parts availability for the unexpected?? You want to sit around waiting on parts in the mail??

I know what you mean about others working on my bike, but in this case, with a reputable, experienced shop, I think I'd let them do it right, no rushing, fix everything, test ride it, and have it ready to go when you get there. That's a no-brainer.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Like Brent said, you may not know what you'll need until you're into it. The fact that you say "...despite some low miles..." would indicate something other than normal wear, like the slave cylinder leaking on the disk. I'd send it to a recommended shop and save the vacation hassle.
2004 R1150S
Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The more I consider the possible need for additional parts, potential problems, trying to complete this with a jet lagged brain AND the value of vacation time, I think it would be quite foolish for me to consider doing this repair in a foreign country for the first time unless I absolutely had to do it. I think I'll just have the bike transported to the local BMW shop and let them complete the task over the winter.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
'98 VFR800 and '07 R1200

Garage
When my R1200S needs a new clutch, I'll take it to the BMW dealer/shop and get a loaner for a few days. I don't mind doing small maintenance jobs, but the big things are better left to the pros
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: