Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Like the boots. Classic Vasque with red laces and Vibram soles. A must for anyone out west in the 1970's.

A good eye.
And a period-correct hair cut. eh?

- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Just filled up today. Put in 93 octane. I will be happy if fuel mileage increases. But on this last tank 38.9 mpg!
Is it possible in lsss than a mile i noticed fewer vibrations?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Location: Seabeck, Washington, 20 miles west of Seattle as the seagulls fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
Cell phone, obviously...GPS.
I carry several hundred in cash when I tour. All of my bikes have a $100 bill hidden...just in case. No one would ever find them.
I also pack heat when touring. Minimally a .38 snub nose within quick reach.
Check w/your insurance company for roadside assistance and towing. Progressive and AAA offer it for a small additional annual fee.
Search this forum for tour packing...I think it was bradzdotcom who posted a great list.
Ride sanely.
Love the anti-dive system mounted to the front fender.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Creative suspension, eh?
That little two man tent was unique...very light wt. Just a couple of lbs. I think that I still have it somewhere.
That was the morning that I left my folks' place in No. Dakota.
A few weeks prior I left the San Francisco Bay Area for a 4,000 mile trip back in July of '71.
Headed North to Canada, down to N. D., down to Texas, back to CA.
BTW, not one issue with that Beemer all the way out and back.
Haven't looked at that picture in decades...not sure why I had no tank bag.
Maybe I wouldn't have needed the two GI bags hanging on the rear sides.
Oh, and I fabricated that windscreen from a 6' long glider canopy which the local manufacturer sold to me for $100...buyer never picked it up.
Built the struts from a salvaged Harley set-up.
Notice the map bungied to my cargo bag...no GPS then. Those were the days, as they say. Sweet and simple.
Over 'n out.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-15-2017, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Finished my trip up Saturday. R11S performed well. Fuel mileage was good and avg about 43 mpg.
Highest mpg when I checked was 46.
Things I noted were...
1.I wish was a little shorter. I wonder if I could have Corbin seat modified to be a little closer to the ground and be a little flatter.
2. Very tall first gear with high seat height makes slow speed maneuvering at times unnerving.
3. I wonder if stock windsreen would allow a little more air flow. It was nice, though, when coming back into VT temps were in 50s and 60s.
4. First gear not always clunks in right away.
5. Hard to start when cold. Takes 2-3 times usually. (does have new battery)
6. Pretty comfy ergos. Need to adjust angle of clip ons, but I cannot see using the bar backs.
All in all a good trip. 1200 miles roughly with no issues.
Cheers,
Sean
Old 08-28-2017, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Hey, Sean,

Are your bar clamps above the triple clamp or below?? I moved mine above and the position is much better for me. EZ to do and un-do, no extra parts necessary. I believe that was a factory change after 2002.

There are aftermarket clear windshield clip-on deflectors that might help direct or divert air on you.

An AF-XiED by Nightrider.com did wonders for my '99 R11S. So far, it is the single biggest improvement I've done. It totally cured the cold natured starting, vastly improved the roll-on power, stopped the stalling (except for my occasional spastic antics), runs cooler, etc. It lets the engine run like it's supposed to run. Low-speed maneuvering is MUCH better/easier now, too. I'm so totally happy with the AF-XiED that I bought two more, one each for a '99 R11RT and a '00 K12RS, before even taking delivery of the bikes. I can't say that it has affected the fuel mileage UP or down because it is so much more fun the drive now that I have to curb my enthusiasm.

Skoal
Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Hi, Lowndes,
I do have the clip ons above the triple clamp. Position is close to what I had on Falco, but a little longer.
I quickly looked at nightriders website. Is that device similar to a Power Commander? My BCR already had one installed.
Cheers,
Sean

Last edited by vtguy; 08-30-2017 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: new info
Old 08-30-2017, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Af-xied

Beemer Boneyard sells them for the R1100s as well. The owner has one installed on his bike. You can send him an email or call him and he will talk to you about it. I installed one on my 2004 R1100s and have nothing but good things to say.

Here is the link:
AF-XiED For BMW R1150 / R1200C & R1100S & K1200RS/LT O2 Sensor Manipulator
Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtguy View Post
Hi, Lowndes,
I do have the clip ons above the triple clamp. Position is close to what I had on Falco, but a little longer.
I quickly looked at nightriders website. Is that device similar to a Power Commander? My BCR already had one installed.
Cheers,
Sean
Sean - Yes, very similar in operation. Easy to adjust. And, BBY is the place to get them. EZ install, except you have to raise the tank to get to the O2 connector.

That's it laying on top of my finger:

Old 08-31-2017, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
The power commander isn't really like the AX-FIED, they are far more adjustable for every point in the rev range versus the overall effect of a spoofer such as the AF-XIED or others. Ideally you would set up a power commander with a dyno for optimum fuel/air ratio throughout the rev range at different throttle settings. The downside is connecting them, total pain in comparison & needing a dyno for best results. Not every throttle setting requires added fuel, sometimes just the opposite, something impossible to do with a spoofer. That said they do a great job of improving the throttle response & improving the running but just are nowhere the same as really tuning a bike with a power commander.
There are countless threads on here about tuning with various different spoofers with just as many results & opinions. The AF-XIED is only the latest, newest variety. We're fortunate that a few manufacturers still produce goodies for these tractors, particularly as there is a second wave of new owners investing in them.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: