Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1200S Turn Signal Fail

My 2007 R1200S right turn signals have stopped working. A few months back I noticed them working intermittently, but now not working at all. Both the front and the rear signal are not coming on when I hit the right switch. Guessing maybe the right control contact switch? Anyone ever had similar problem? Is it difficult to replace the control switch?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Try simply rebooting the turn signal microprocessor, by disconnecting the battery for maybe a minute & then reconnect. I have fought this type of problem w my R1100RT for several years.

Are you in a high corrosion area? IOW do your switches need flushing w distilled water & WD-040?

Or is this problem confined to the right side only? If so, you probably just have a simple wiring problem. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not in a high corrosion area, inland SD CA, bike is garaged and covered when not in use.

Problem is right side only, I just now pulled the control unit off and blew the dust out. But no change. The signal switch appears to be a sealed switch under the plastic turn button.

I noticed when I turn the left signal on and then hit the right signal, it does not stop the left signal from flashing. Tried the same sequence on my RT and that results in the right signal going on. This makes me wonder if that sealed switch under the plastic turn button went out.

Looked on line and the control unit is $260 bucks yikes! After pulling the switch unit off and cleaning it I think I can replace it, just wish I could confirm that it is the switch!

I could try disconnecting the battery (don't I have to go through some throttle sequence after doing that?), but since the left signal works fine, it makes me wonder.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! Keep um coming!
Old 08-20-2017, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhdrm View Post
I could try disconnecting the battery (don't I have to go through some throttle sequence after doing that?), but since the left signal works fine, it makes me wonder.
Disconnect it. No throttle sequence.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
you can unplug the switch and test the switch with any cheap continuity checker,
these are low voltage inputs to the main electronics module that drives everything in
this cam bus bike, just as likely bad connection out of the controller or loose bulbs in the
sockets really spend 20$ and buy a cheap meter.
do not force 12v into the elctronics module where the switches go, most of these switches
are run at 5v to be compatable with the logic in the control module.
these are not like r11xx bikes that had a separate "turn signal relay" which even on those
was a relay looking box with a microcontroller in it
Old 08-20-2017, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
if the 1200s has a bad bulb indicater and it is not on then probably not the
wiring to the bulbs
the controller checks the load resistance of the bulbs if they are out of spec the
warning light turns on
Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Brent

Garage
yes your 1200s has a bulb checker so ignore the bulb parts probaby the switch or
connections to the electronics module .
Old 08-20-2017, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
try holding down both the left and right button it should go into hazard flasher
if it doesnt probably right switch gear,
you usualy can just jump the switch with a probe to simulate contact and make it turn on
if it doesnt then it is wiring.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Brent - I had tried hitting both turns signals at the same time to initiate the hazard flasher, but when I do only the left blinker comes on. That and if I have the left blinker on and hit the right turn button and nothing happens makes me suspect the right turn signal switch may be faulty.

I think I have a radio shack multimeter some where, I will have to dig it out and try to remember how to use it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh - I think my rear signal lights are led, not sure about the front have to take a look.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhdrm View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Brent - I had tried hitting both turns signals at the same time to initiate the hazard flasher, but when I do only the left blinker comes on. That and if I have the left blinker on and hit the right turn button and nothing happens makes me suspect the right turn signal switch may be faulty.

I think I have a radio shack multimeter some where, I will have to dig it out and try to remember how to use it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh - I think my rear signal lights are led, not sure about the front have to take a look.
Do a search for led turn signal issues. I have a hornig license bracket with kellerman leds. Looks great, but I had to wire some radio shack resistors in line to make the system think the bulbs were working. Otherwise I see a LAMPF warning on the dash, and no signals. Been there, done that......search here for the thread.

Kevin M.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
The switches should be 12v, however they run into the ZFE module. To see if it is just the output of the ZFE that doesn't work, the hazards should still flash after turning the bike off, however the turn signal should quit working.

You can always shoot the wires and troubleshoot for real. FYI, the common wire from/to the ZFE if ground, the individual wires going to the switches are hot. This also means that if you short the wire for the right turn signal it will turn the circuit on (low active sensing). However, you cannot do that by disconnecting the plug on the handlebar housing as the kill switch circuit runs through there, meaning you won't be able to turn the bike on to test there live.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hmmm... ZFE module that's a new term for me!

I did try as sirus815 suggested , initiate the hazards and then turn the bike off to see if the hazard flashing stays on. When I initiate the hazards by hitting both turn signal buttons simultaneously only the left blinker is on. The left blinker did not stay on after shutting the bike off.
So does that mean the hazards did not get turned on because the right turn signal switch is not working?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Garage
Sounds like it.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Anybody have a right multi switch for a 2007 R1200S they want to get rid of?��
Old 08-22-2017, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
I might have one from a r1200rt could be the same
Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What year is the RT? I thought the brake reserve was built into the switch housing on the RT, thought that might change the design.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: