Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HP2 Sport Question - should i ?

Hi All,
Iím hoping you guys can help me out with some advice and recommendations. I know this is a lot to ask, but I donít know were else to turn other than the HP2 gurus on this siteÖ

Iím seriously considering selling my beloved s1000rr, and replacing it with an HP2 Sport. Good idea or Kinda Dumb?

Iíve never seen one in person let alone ride one. Iíd love hear your opinions and advice. Iím not a racer by any measure, but I live in the canyons of the Santa Monica Mountains and appreciate great handling and good road feel. I wouldnít expect the same level of horse power or performance as the S1k (other than handling??). The HP2 Sport would become my daily commuter (canyons, coast and freeways). Thanks for any help and advice.

The questions are:
Engine & Handlebar Vibration
Iíve heard that they can be ďbuzzyĒ in the engine and bars. If so, easy fixes such as bar-ends or lead shot? I liked the character of the new r1200rs motor, But thats not the HP2í higher-strung air cooled boxer.

Ride, Road feel & Front-End Feedback
How well planted does the HP feel on the road?
The s1k feels like itís tires are clawing into the pavement, that the center of gravity is near the center of the earth ó like on rails. I rode a new r1200rs (first time on a boxer) in contrast to the s1k, it feels like the tires barely touch the ground -- not really connected to the road surface. Maybe just the difference in hight-end sport vs. stock tires? How does the HP2 feel and front end feed back?

Reliability & Recommendations
Finally, and maybe most importantly, any year better than another, any reliability issues for different years? It would be my daily driver. Sound reasonable? Any warnings or thoughts?

Thank you all in advance for your time and effort in responding to these questions. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I bought a HP2 Sport several months ago after riding a 2010 KTM SMT Supermoto since new. In seven years I put over 40,000 miles on that bike riding it as a daily commuter and long distance hauler, it was a marvelous motorcycle and served me very well.
I've wanted a HP2 since the day they were introduced. With two kids in college and costing $26K I could never afford one. When it came to replacing the KTM it wasn't the first bike I considered nor the most practical replacement. It was however the bike that continued to rise to the top of the list.
After shopping for about a year I bought a used BMW with about 12,000 miles, didn't want a garage queen, I only have one bike and I enjoy riding. The bike was mostly stock and well cared for. It was serviced regularly and the two recalls had been taken care of.
The long monsoon season in Northern New Mexico which has limited my riding but I have still managed almost 900 miles since the first of July.
I LOVE MY HP2 SPORT!
The engine is wonderful, it's full of mechanical noise at idle which goes away once up to speed. Power is very linear until about 5000 RPM at which point it's like being shot from a cannon. The motor spits and pops through the exhaust when coming hard off throttle or downshifting, such character.
The transmission is the best shifting BMW I've ever owned both up and down, the upshift speed shifter is a hot knife through butter fourth through sixth.
I had the suspension set up for my weight, it goes exactly where I point it, no surprises. The Ohlins are not as compliant as the long travel WP on my KTM and on rough roads I must find the smoothest path so not to get too beat up. I don't notice the telelever front suspension.
The brakes, they're Brembo Monoblocks, enough said.
I do fold myself up to ride the HP2, it has the billet bar riser mention elsewhere which take some of the weigh off my wrists. On previous sportbikes once underway the airflow would help take some of the forward pressure off my hands, not so much on this bike, the fairing does a good job of moving the air up and over me, no helmet buffeting either. The seat is sportbike hard. I find myself stopping short of needing fuel, 100-120 miles and I need the unfold.
The bike has a fairly new set of Dunlop Sportmax tires, the bike feels solid and well planted with everything I've thrown at it. Admittedly There are still 1/2 inch chicken strips on the tires.
As an everyday bike and only motorcycle sure there are others better at the task. But few others can raise a smile as quickly and keep it there as long.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

With respect,
- The R1200RS motor behaves more like a Honda than a traditional BMW boxer. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It's a matter of personal preference.)
- HP2 less buzz than a S1000XR-- if you have experience with that model. The boxer buzz seems to adversely affect some, more than others.
- A skilled rider will perform better on an S1000R, than a HP2.
- You're going to lose a noticeable level of power substituting the HP2 for an S1000R. If you're currently using that level of power or anywhere near it, you may be disappointed with HP2.
- if you're good with the ergo's of the S1000R, then HP2 as a daily driver shouldn't be a problem. (For ergo, I personally prefer the S1000R.)
- Replacement parts more expensive on HP2 than S1000RR, such as bodywork, wheels, etc. (Interesting that parts availability on HP2 is better in some respects than R1200S.)

HP2 is an interesting machine. I like the non-watercooled DOHC boxers. Plus, there's exclusivity to be had with HP2.

Biggest variable is whether you can accept the power deficit inherent in the trade.

I would say if you're good with the S1000RR, stick with it. Otherwise, when potentially purchasing an HP2, take cash and request a short test ride on bike with option to decline.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I wouldn't sell one to get the other. But that's me.

However, you can always replace the S1000rr since it's still available. HP2 Sports are far fewer in number. So if you want to try it, you can always go backwards to the S1000rr if the HP2 Sport isn't for you.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst View Post
Hi All,
Iím hoping you guys can help me out with some advice and recommendations. I know this is a lot to ask, but I donít know were else to turn other than the HP2 gurus on this siteÖ

Iím seriously considering selling my beloved s1000rr, and replacing it with an HP2 Sport. Good idea or Kinda Dumb?

Iíve never seen one in person let alone ride one. Iíd love hear your opinions and advice. Iím not a racer by any measure, but I live in the canyons of the Santa Monica Mountains and appreciate great handling and good road feel. I wouldnít expect the same level of horse power or performance as the S1k (other than handling??). The HP2 Sport would become my daily commuter (canyons, coast and freeways). Thanks for any help and advice.

The questions are:
Engine & Handlebar Vibration
Iíve heard that they can be ďbuzzyĒ in the engine and bars. If so, easy fixes such as bar-ends or lead shot? I liked the character of the new r1200rs motor, But thats not the HP2í higher-strung air cooled boxer.

Ride, Road feel & Front-End Feedback
How well planted does the HP feel on the road?
The s1k feels like itís tires are clawing into the pavement, that the center of gravity is near the center of the earth ó like on rails. I rode a new r1200rs (first time on a boxer) in contrast to the s1k, it feels like the tires barely touch the ground -- not really connected to the road surface. Maybe just the difference in hight-end sport vs. stock tires? How does the HP2 feel and front end feed back?

Reliability & Recommendations
Finally, and maybe most importantly, any year better than another, any reliability issues for different years? It would be my daily driver. Sound reasonable? Any warnings or thoughts?

Thank you all in advance for your time and effort in responding to these questions. I really appreciate it.
I own both, and a R1200s that's been heavily breathed on (thanks Shreddr). The HP2 feels like the two bikes smashed together. The turn in on the HP2 is incredible, it just falls right into the corners with not much more than a thought. Yes, the S1000rr has power like the "Hand of God", but when it comes to streetable power, the HP2 Sport is just about perfect. Plus, I can stand in the garage and just stare at it and it makes me happy. Not many things in life short of my wife and daughter make me feel that way. It's you money and your life....and both can be fleeting....so if you can do it without cramping your style...then get the HP2 Sport.

Keep the S1000rr if you can make it work, but don't deny yourself a bike that you dream about. HP2's are hard to come by, but you can always find a ton of used S1000rr's.

The only cautionary words I can offer would be parts: Parts availability and pricing. Body panels and certain parts are very pricey. Daily driving an HP2 Sport is a rockstar move, but could also be very costly over time.

Good Luck!

Kevin M.
2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your comments. All very helpful. I'm totally aware that compared to the s1000rr the HP2 will have very little H. or P. -- thats Ok with me. I grew-up on VFRs, eventually raced RC30s. No matter how much I try, I don't feel comfortable if my weights not over the front tire. The geometry of a sport bike just feels right. I use my s1k daily. Although I can drag a knee as well as anyone, I've never pushed the "Hand Of God Power" of s1k to the limits. And I'm way past tracks days. All your advice has made me need the HP2 more then ever. Can't keep both bike, but as you said, I can always fall back (happily) to an RR.

I assume the ABS is a early generation, and will not feel like the RR's....?

No thoughts on best years? Or things to watch out for or to avoid?

Thanks again.
Craig
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Lots of discussion here,

BMW HP2 Sport Discussion

Sorry to push another forum board but this is the most comprehensive collection of all things HP2 Sport.

The HP 2 came in both ABS and non-ABS, yes it's ABS circa 2009. Not sure model year makes much difference. I am no HP2 expert but I have read a lot and didn't find BMW did anything different between model years other than paint. The bikes sat in dealers showrooms long enough for a 2009 to become a 2010 or 2011. There where maybe 2500 made so it makes sense that for such a small of production run they wouldn't change much. Of those 2500 or so probably 215 made it to the US. While rare they show up for sale pretty regularly.
When looking ask for service records and that the two factory recalls, fuel pump and rear wheel bearing, were repaired. I had a used bike inspection done at the BMW dealer before purchase and had my local dealer perform the yearly service on the bike once I got it home.
As mentioned The CF bits are expensive, BMW has most of them, some not so much. There are fiberglass body pieces available and some performance parts out there too.
Good hunting, glad you chose to move toward an HP2!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Swen1200,
thanks for the info/your insight. Funny that you pointed the discussion to the HP2 forum over at Sport Riders&Racers... because it was a longtime Member and Moderator at Sport Riders&Racers who sent me to you guys at the Pelican 1100 Forum. In fact it's through you guys that I've had any responses at all. Which I really appreciate, BTW.

Again, thanks to Swen1200 and others for all the help. Guess I'm a little gun-shy as my s1000rr has been a dream to own -- Im the original owner, never had a single issue. And it's a blast to ride. But, ready for a airhead now, not sure why (other than the character of it all), but I'm sure I'll love it, if and when I can find one.

thanks and keep the info coming
cst
Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
I've been looking at HP2 Sports here in Aus. Most are with dealers so service history details on bikes are sketchy due to "privacy laws" and I'm wary of the private backyard mechanics.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
Old 08-23-2017, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
No need to be wary I'd say. There's not much to do on the bikes besides fluid changes. I've had just 1 out of spec valve which needed a different sized lifter.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
It's de-facto an outdated bike in any way you look at it.

And an expensive one at that, should you have to fix certain things.

In real life, the R12S will give you just as much fun and the parts availability is a tad more reliable and affordable. An R9T, massaged a little, will give you more fun, runs quieter, is more customizeable and has a MUCH more responsive motor.

Seeing how you have the 1RR, I'd think twice, test ride one and then think again. The pinnacle of it's (boxer related) time, that time has long passed... and the fact that they only sold a very low number doesn't make it a collectable, but shows that they missed the target completely...

If it was as stellar as BMW wanted it to be, they would have sold more. Simple.
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The HP2 Sport went on sale in the midst of extremely bad economic times. Perhaps the worst period ever when you consider the contraction that occurred in the motorcycle industry from 2008 onwards. The $26k price tag surely limited it's appeal. However, The HP2 Sport was always going to be a low-volume, niche bike - I can't claim to know what BMW wanted it to be - but it's moved enough hearts and minds that people are still dreaming of owning them well after production has ended.

Preferences for bikes are highly subjective, and while the R12s & R9T may be more practical, cheaper, and responsive(?!).....that just doesn't move the needle like a good dose of lust does.

Kevin M.
2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 08-25-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
I am lusting for the R9T, but never really did have the same feelings for the HP2...
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst View Post
Iím seriously considering selling my beloved s1000rr, and replacing it with an HP2 Sport.
Can you clarify for us why your S1k is so beloved? It is simply because it's yours? Not to poke at you personally, but BMW has sold and will sell many times more S1K's over the very niche HP2Sport. If you really love riding your existing bike, not sure the HP2S will do it for you. It's not as fast, that's for sure. The suspension geometry is completely different too so the ride/feel/experience will also be completely different. So on paper, it doesn't make sense to dump an S1K for an HP2S. But, that's not why we ride nor why I bought mine. I rode Jeff William's bike once, for less than mile and never pushed it past 3000 RPM. I turned around and never rode one again. I picked his brain for hours about the bike and then I bought mine brand new, simply because. It was purely an emotional/want decision with very little rationality thrown in. Don't try to replicate or expect the same experience with the bike. It's quirky, temperamental and some have been known to have their own little issues which can be a co$tly (valve covers). And for full disclosure, I've never ridden an S1k so I can't compare the two. On paper the S1k does too much and isn't what I am looking for in a bike.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the continued input.
I totally get that the HP2 is totally outdated, I guess thats one of the things I like about it. But it is still a modern bike with modern-ish tech. I love that itís a niche thing. If it wasít going to be my daily driver, I wouldnít have any concerns. Iíd just try to find one I could afford and be happy. But I donít want to park the thing in my living room, I want to use and enjoy it. And there is no denying the dam things look fantastic.

Iíve read that some people like the 1100ís over the 1200s (??) ó all Boxers are all new to me. I get that the R9T is super refined, and no offense meant to any of you, but around where I live, way too many self-regarding moustachioed hipsters with their boy-bunds and man-beards on R9Tís. I know the R9T is a swell ride, just not for me. Sad to read that they have a more responsive motor, then the HP2Ö humm.

I live really close to a place called The Rock Store (The Rock Store) so I get to see a ton of beautiful older Boxers that have been cafeídÖ all really pretty and all not for me. I need (like) some level of cool technology.

Question:
I mentioned this in the original post, but speaking of ďa more responsive motorĒ, I did ride a newer r1200rs, that motor was full of low-end grunt as youíd expect with a big twin, it was cool. But maybe ther1200rs isní the same power plant as the R9Tís ??? The r1200rs frame geo, seating position, and handling was absolutely not for me.

SergioK asks:
Can you clarify for us why your S1k is so beloved?
The S1k is the first BMW motorcycle Iíd ever been on. It does everything Iíd ever wantÖ except have any real character. You get on it, point it where you want to go (really fast) and voila!, your there. No matter what Iím doing, where Iím riding or what trouble I might get into ó around here you often are surprised by road debris/decomposed granite just around every turn. Even if I might be a little too hot into a turn, with the S1k, you just tip-in a bit more, roll-on some gas and thereís no drama, no troubles, just keep going quick and smooth. I always feel confidant and safe with the bike. Iíve even done some week long touring on it (which is pretty good) But itís more like a weapon then a sweetheart. I may not end up selling it. Just adding the HP2Ö but then one would always sit, and thats no good. Also, the S1k keeps evolving, so if I do sell the S1k, I can always get another.

I totally get that the HP2 will have very little H or P compared to the S1k, but Iím old now, and donít really use all the crazy power that is a S1k. But I DO need all that sport handling. And from what Iíve read, the HP2Sport is pretty good with handling ó Am I wrong ??

Also, Iím completely aware, that, like so many others, itís a emotionally driven buy. Just donít canít have it be a huge mistake.

I can liken it to the cars Iíve owned. For many years I had a í73 2002tii, and for more than twenty years my daily driverí72 3.0csi homolagation lightweight. In 2002, I bought a new M5. It was a fantastic car. crazy fast, stopped instantly, was comfortable and did everything perfectly, but I never stopped thinking of the 3.0csi (the coupe had a ton of character and was fun to drive every time you got in it). And I loved the look of the era. The M5, was just an expensive nondescript sleeper. It was great, just not $80k great.

To a lesser extent, thats how I feel about the S1K. Although once I got the S1k, I stopped thinking the M5 was even remotely quick and ended up selling to a good friend. Now Iím after an early í70ís 911 ó itíll be quirky, temperamental and have issues, but, again it will have character, a connection with the road and the mechanics your driving, (not so thrilled about the connection Iíll have with the actual mechanic that keeps it running) it would be super fun and unique to have as a daily driver.

SergioK, your correct, ďon Paper it doesnít make much senseĒ, and if you can, swing a leg over an S1k, and find some fast roadsÖ Then maybe youíll be asking me all kinds of pre-buying advice

Ugg. Why canít you guys just tell me that this will be the best decession of my life. That it will aways run perfectly (never make me late for work ó which can never happen), and that Iíll never look back. Or maybe Iíll owe you all for acting as a cool-down period ó like when you buy a hand gun in California.

Thanks and keep the info coming.
Craig
Old 08-26-2017, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signit98 View Post
If it was as stellar as BMW wanted it to be, they would have sold more. Simple.
Yes, stellar is on one axis of the elasticity of demand curve.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the continued input.
I totally get that the HP2 is totally outdated, I guess thats one of the things I like about it. But it is still a modern bike with modern-ish tech. I love that itís a niche thing. If it wasít going to be my daily driver, I wouldnít have any concerns. Iíd just try to find one I could afford and be happy. But I donít want to park the thing in my living room, I want to use and enjoy it. And there is no denying the dam things look fantastic.

Iíve read that some people like the 1100ís over the 1200s (??) ó all Boxers are all new to me. I get that the R9T is super refined, and no offense meant to any of you, but around where I live, way too many self-regarding moustachioed hipsters with their boy-bunds and man-beards on R9Tís. I know the R9T is a swell ride, just not for me. Sad to read that they have a more responsive motor, then the HP2Ö humm.

I live really close to a place called The Rock Store (The Rock Store) so I get to see a ton of beautiful older Boxers that have been cafeídÖ all really pretty and all not for me. I need (like) some level of cool technology.

Question:
I mentioned this in the original post, but speaking of ďa more responsive motorĒ, I did ride a newer r1200rs, that motor was full of low-end grunt as youíd expect with a big twin, it was cool. But maybe ther1200rs isní the same power plant as the R9Tís ??? The r1200rs frame geo, seating position, and handling was absolutely not for me.

SergioK asks:
Can you clarify for us why your S1k is so beloved?
The S1k is the first BMW motorcycle Iíd ever been on. It does everything Iíd ever wantÖ except have any real character. You get on it, point it where you want to go (really fast) and voila!, your there. No matter what Iím doing, where Iím riding or what trouble I might get into ó around here you often are surprised by road debris/decomposed granite just around every turn. Even if I might be a little too hot into a turn, with the S1k, you just tip-in a bit more, roll-on some gas and thereís no drama, no troubles, just keep going quick and smooth. I always feel confidant and safe with the bike. Iíve even done some week long touring on it (which is pretty good) But itís more like a weapon then a sweetheart. I may not end up selling it. Just adding the HP2Ö but then one would always sit, and thats no good. Also, the S1k keeps evolving, so if I do sell the S1k, I can always get another.

I totally get that the HP2 will have very little H or P compared to the S1k, but Iím old now, and donít really use all the crazy power that is a S1k. But I DO need all that sport handling. And from what Iíve read, the HP2Sport is pretty good with handling ó Am I wrong ??

Also, Iím completely aware, that, like so many others, itís a emotionally driven buy. Just donít canít have it be a huge mistake.

I can liken it to the cars Iíve owned. For many years I had a í73 2002tii, and for more than twenty years my daily driverí72 3.0csi homolagation lightweight. In 2002, I bought a new M5. It was a fantastic car. crazy fast, stopped instantly, was comfortable and did everything perfectly, but I never stopped thinking of the 3.0csi (the coupe had a ton of character and was fun to drive every time you got in it). And I loved the look of the era. The M5, was just an expensive nondescript sleeper. It was great, just not $80k great.

To a lesser extent, thats how I feel about the S1K. Although once I got the S1k, I stopped thinking the M5 was even remotely quick and ended up selling to a good friend. Now Iím after an early í70ís 911 ó itíll be quirky, temperamental and have issues, but, again it will have character, a connection with the road and the mechanics your driving, (not so thrilled about the connection Iíll have with the actual mechanic that keeps it running) it would be super fun and unique to have as a daily driver.

SergioK, your correct, ďon Paper it doesnít make much senseĒ, and if you can, swing a leg over an S1k, and find some fast roadsÖ Then maybe youíll be asking me all kinds of pre-buying advice

Ugg. Why canít you guys just tell me that this will be the best decession of my life. That it will aways run perfectly (never make me late for work ó which can never happen), and that Iíll never look back. Or maybe Iíll owe you all for acting as a cool-down period ó like when you buy a hand gun in California.

Thanks and keep the info coming.
Craig
Old 08-26-2017, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Stellar only counts with women... And that is superficial...
Old 08-26-2017, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Stellar only counts with women... And that is superficial...
Wasn't she in "A streetcar named desire" ?
Old 08-26-2017, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_biker_scum View Post
wasn't she in "a streetcar named desire" ?
lol
Old 08-26-2017, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
hp2 sport questions