Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Yes, the OP is underestimating how skilled we old timers can be at evaluating a bikes condition based on GOOD pictures. He likes input from newbies, who regurgitate the same cautions that are easily found by a search on this board. Front, back, and side pictures can tell a lot. A vin is also a great tool as there is potential that we may even know the original owner, or current owner...

And I'm with you John, I detest filthy, It can show lack of care, outside storage.. Brown rusted pipes, rusted nuts and bolts...
2000 R1100S, 2000 Dyna FXDX, 2015 rNineT. 2016 Rubicon, 2010 F-150, 1995 GMC Sierra. 2001 Corvette, 1978 Porsche 928. Schwinn Homegrown MTB & Fastback Road Bike. 22 pairs of shoes. 44 bottles of beer.
Time Marches On: 2010 F800GS, 2007 R1200S, 2003 Dakar, Buell 1125r, 2001 F650GS. 1999 F650. 1998 HD Sportster Sport. ALL GONE
Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Heh heh, old timers. Get off my grass!!
Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Yes, the OP is underestimating how skilled we old timers can be at evaluating a bikes condition based on GOOD pictures. He likes input from newbies, who regurgitate the same cautions that are easily found by a search on this board. Front, back, and side pictures can tell a lot. A vin is also a great tool as there is potential that we may even know the original owner, or current owner...

And I'm with you John, I detest filthy, It can show lack of care, outside storage.. Brown rusted pipes, rusted nuts and bolts...

I got valuable info from members who posted very detailed and useful information about KNOWN PROBLEMS with the bike, as per my original post. Thanks to them, who took the time and obviously like to help people, and NOT thanks to you and your stuck up petty attitude when you could have helped as opossed to *****ing about pictures that I DO NOT personally have, as the bike is 140 mi. away, I have decided to pass.

Thanks again to all who were very helpful. I appreciate some of you taking time and actually helping - some of you wrote an essay pretty much.

I'm a happy new owner of a 2013 Triumph street triple R as of today. which is bike #2 in the stable.

Last edited by Evangelosk; 08-26-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
So you come here asking questions about a bike nobody has seen expecting help & then whine because some of the more knowledgeable here ask questions & criticize it for being a worn specimen? Anyone could look up the standard problems, there's a large list on here for anyone with even the slightest ability to find, doesn't mean they apply to that exact bike. You asked & got answered, can't handle it don't ask.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Whether you will like the R11S depends largely on your riding style. It's a 500 lb porker with 98hp. That is probably the worst of it. On the upside you have an air cooled boxer (ok, with oil cooled heads) which is one of the most reliable mills I have experienced, stability and very good handling. Note, that it's not an R1 but then depending on your level of riding you can keep up somewhat with the crotch rockets in the canyons but will definite outlast them on distance trips.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post
So you come here asking questions about a bike nobody has seen expecting help & then whine because some of the more knowledgeable here ask questions & criticize it for being a worn specimen? Anyone could look up the standard problems, there's a large list on here for anyone with even the slightest ability to find, doesn't mean they apply to that exact bike. You asked & got answered, can't handle it don't ask.

Listen man, I came here asking about known problems of the bike. It is right there on my post. I posted what I KNEW about it, and I think that was clear. I thanked in advance, some posted they would like to see some pics, and that is OK. You don't want to type thinking I'm lazy to search, don't post. Don't post about crystal balls and microscopes. . We can go for days, all I needed was KNOWN problems. I got my answer. The pictures would NOT have kept me for driving 140miles to take a look if I did not think the potential issues are not worth it for me.

PS: this is the oldest argument in the history of message boards: Search. Might as well rename the board to xxxxx DATABASE and have couple sections for BS topics. If I can help, I will. I will not be the search (or whatever) forum Nazi.

Last edited by Evangelosk; 08-27-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered Agitator

Garage
Glad you didn't get it. Now you can go troll the triumph forums for "KNOWN" problems. Perhaps your sterling attitude will impress them too.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post
Glad you didn't get it. Now you can go troll the triumph forums for "KNOWN" problems. Perhaps your sterling attitude will impress them too.

I suggest you look up the definition of troll again. Hint, insulting someone with no counter argument definitely qualifies you.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelosk View Post
Listen man, I came here asking about known problems of the bike. It is right there on my post. I posted what I KNEW about it, and I think that was clear. I thanked in advance, some posted they would like to see some pics, and that is OK. You don't want to type thinking I'm lazy to search, don't post. Don't post about crystal balls and microscopes. . We can go for days, all I needed was KNOWN problems. I got my answer. The pictures would NOT have kept me for driving 140miles to take a look if I did not think the potential issues are not worth it for me.

PS: this is the oldest argument in the history of message boards: Search. Might as well rename the board to xxxxx DATABASE and have couple sections for BS topics. If I can help, I will. I will not be the search (or whatever) forum Nazi.
Known problems!!! heavy/slow/steers like a super tanker that's the reality of every 1100s ever built.

If certain folk on this board think a handful of 1100s's that have had a clutch spline problem think it's a known problem compare that to the number produced it's a minor detail look else where on the net it's hardly ever mentioned but just like the Illmberger hugger glitch that happened years ago a small number like to get hysterical.

Known problem? They breath badly and rev slowly so that'll be a Lennies Induct/SJ filter a means to alter the fuelling and a decent pipe preferably that is lighter miss any one of those parts of the jigsaw puzzle out and you are wasting your time and money.

Of course all of this thread could have been avoided by posting the photos and asking what to think? The fact that the current owner couldn't even be bothered to clean the headers never mind the bad weather the bike had seen and its apparent lack of care that it has suffered I'd have thought would have been obvious to you as as us the fact that it was bog stock and would need serious money spending on it to bring it into the modern world is now a minor detail.

Hopefully your new Triumph is in better condition
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-27-2017, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Garage
Well,

Looks like the OP wasn't thinking very hard about buying an R1100S anyway. Just a fleeting thought it appears. Didn't take long for him to go to the next shiny object rather than thinking "Yeah, that bike isn't that good.. So I'll look a little further." Seems he just wanted to burn money on any motorcycle.

Otherwise, there was this one: https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/6235678936.html
2000 R1100S, 2000 Dyna FXDX, 2015 rNineT. 2016 Rubicon, 2010 F-150, 1995 GMC Sierra. 2001 Corvette, 1978 Porsche 928. Schwinn Homegrown MTB & Fastback Road Bike. 22 pairs of shoes. 44 bottles of beer.
Time Marches On: 2010 F800GS, 2007 R1200S, 2003 Dakar, Buell 1125r, 2001 F650GS. 1999 F650. 1998 HD Sportster Sport. ALL GONE

Last edited by ckcarr; 08-28-2017 at 05:06 AM..
Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Now why would you want to waste a perfectly good motorcycle on someone who can't tell the difference? Besides doesn't it have all the same known problems?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Whatever guys. Anyway, ride safe, thanks for the help, and do not assume...
Old 08-28-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wiggledbits
JohnnyBounceWel by your screen name I take it you're young. I stopped bouncing about 40 years old. Now I just splat.

Last edited by wiggledbits; 08-28-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Old 08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggledbits View Post
JohnnyBounceWel by your screen name I take it you're young. I stopped bouncing about 40 years old. Now I just splat.
My best bouncing days are well past me. I still bounce alright but REALLY pay for it the next day. The name was given to me about 15 years ago by one of my co-workers who watched me walk away from an I-can-see-my-house-from-up-here highside during a trackday.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Mr. Bouncewel,

I think you made the best choice between the two bikes, given all the circumstances. Even tho I love my R11S, I'm fully aware it's an antique with idiosyncrasies aplenty, not to mention outright design flaws. (kinda like me)

The "auto era" BMW motorcycles are sad shadows of the former bikes as far as dependability goes. A used Vstrom is WAAAAY more reliable. Well, most Jap bikes would be.

Also, I'd bet "If certain folk on this board ..." (Mr. Canning, for one) had ever ended up with with a bike with a bad spline, that we could have heard him squealing like a girl and rending garments all the way across the pond.

I do apologise for Mr. GROUCH barging in here. Most beemerphiles are really decent guys.

Be SAFE - RIDE safe!!

Last edited by Lowndes; 08-28-2017 at 06:09 PM..
Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Please list the design flaws. There's one for sale 150 miles away, but don't want to drive that far unless it's reliable. MORE reliable than a Bultaco. WAY more, cause I heard Jim Pomeroy broke the frame on his Pursang. Is that a KNOWN problem?

Never mind. This ones a keeper: https://www.smartcycleguide.com/L51951379
Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
Mr. Bouncewel,

I think you made the best choice between the two bikes, given all the circumstances. Even tho I love my R11S, I'm fully aware it's an antique with idiosyncrasies aplenty, not to mention outright design flaws. (kinda like me)

The "auto era" BMW motorcycles are sad shadows of the former bikes as far as dependability goes. A used Vstrom is WAAAAY more reliable. Well, most Jap bikes would be.

Also, I'd bet "If certain folk on this board ..." (Mr. Canning, for one) had ever ended up with with a bike with a bad spline, that we could have heard him squealing like a girl and rending garments all the way across the pond.

I do apologise for Mr. GROUCH barging in here. Most beemerphiles are really decent guys.

Be SAFE - RIDE safe!!
I've never been one for religion cuz over the years always felt there was way too much chance of the facts being distorted and you are the perfect example I've asked the question before and never got an answer 'How many folk have had to change a spline shaft'??? 20?30? against how many 1100s's where produced the chance of getting a bad spline shaft are probably less than a puncture.

Compared to how much money I have spent over the years trying to bring my 1100 into the 21st century the cost and hassle of a spline shaft is the least of my concerns most folks just can't be done with a stock bike that doesn't do 90hp.

http://image.ibb.co/gGFDrk/2016_10_11_16_39_49.jpg

Compare the above to my K1200R in 8 years its been wet once never seen a winters day in its life I won't even bother listing the BM recalls,but the odds of getting one with a good clutch are low(I've had 3 in mine) the fuelling is horrendous so its either Rexxer or Power commander its had a ABS unit and I've just fitted an alternator all in less than 13000 miles the latter isn't common but the rest IS frankly its just the norm for owning such in US parlance you just have to suck it up not something you have to do with an 1100
unless you are very unlucky.

http://image.ibb.co/k6jGfQ/2015_04_07_15_18_18.jpg

To the OP good choice had my triple 16 years needed a smaller wheel at the front along with Dymags/Ohlins/Beringers and can still get the job done.

http://image.ibb.co/gv7Jrk/Picture_065.jpg
Tiger 955
R1100s

Last edited by Chris Canning; 08-29-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Old 08-28-2017, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Garage
So, that particular bike had to be one of the worst available for sale anywhere. But a quick internet search finds several very nice ones for sale.

Here's a really nice one back in my home town...

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Cycle-Werks-in-Barrington-2936434/listing/2004-BMW-R1100S-120142764

What can a picture tell you?

Plenty. Good pictures tell you condition & apparent care, they can tell you accessories (like Ohlin shocks, telelever), Look at the condition of the bikes hard cases.... etc. etc... But, we were provided nothing from the OP, not location, price range, nothing.. Hey, we could have done a better search than he did and found a decent bike.

Also, if you're completely ignorant of the bikes quirks and failings, sometimes paying a little more as an "entry fee" to a dealer will buy some security.

Last edited by ckcarr; 08-29-2017 at 02:31 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Also, if you're completely ignorant of the bikes quirks and failings, sometimes paying a little more as an "entry fee" to a dealer will buy some security.

As someone who worked at many dealerships....I respectfully call this bull****. Dealers are in the business of selling motorcycles. No dealer in his right mind is going work on a bike for a minute than they have to. Detailing is where most of the time is spent. I've seen complete rats turn into apparent trailer queens inside a day.

A long time ago, I learned that when you're buying a used vehicle, you're buying the previous owner. A well used, high mileage machine owned by a mechanical engineer is almost always better than a low mileage machine owned by an idiot.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBouncewel View Post
As someone who worked at many dealerships....I respectfully call this bull****. Dealers are in the business of selling motorcycles. No dealer in his right mind is going work on a bike for a minute than they have to. Detailing is where most of the time is spent. I've seen complete rats turn into apparent trailer queens inside a day.

A long time ago, I learned that when you're buying a used vehicle, you're buying the previous owner. A well used, high mileage machine owned by a mechanical engineer is almost always better than a low mileage machine owned by an idiot.
You are assuming the buyer can tell the difference,the bike posted by the OP took me a millisecond to say no thanks,I too had the misfortune to work in the bike trade the average punter talks a great fight when in reality they'd be hard pressed to blow their own tyres up hence the term 'All the gear no idea' and why the trade survives like it does.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: