Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Canning View Post
You are assuming the buyer can tell the difference,the bike posted by the OP took me a millisecond to say no thanks,I too had the misfortune to work in the bike trade the average punter talks a great fight when in reality they'd be hard pressed to blow their own tyres up hence the term 'All the gear no idea' and why the trade survives like it does.
Quite true! I've seen even some mechanically savvy buddies get hoodwinked. "Its got (fill in the blank)! I gotta buy it". This is usually followed with regret. Hell, I've done that myself. Ask me how I bought 4 Jaguars in 4 months.

Just trying to point out that an average bike typically "bumps" up a grade or two in perceived quality after getting the dealer treatment. And honestly, the folks on forums like this are knowledgeable and can help prevent you from getting hosed.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I think you totally missed my point. It's great if you are an experienced buyer, or have friends that can help you. However, if it's the blind leading the blind, or you're on your own, it might be best that you suck it up and pay the dealer one time to at least have some recourse or a place to go.

This guy obviously knew nothing.

Why go buy a POS by relying on a forum if you know NOTHING. And if you know nothing and are relying on a "technical forum" yet probably don't even own a hammer, then a forum will be useless...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
I think you totally missed my point. It's great if you are an experienced buyer, or have friends that can help you. However, if it's the blind leading the blind, or you're on your own, it might be best that you suck it up and pay the dealer one time to at least have some recourse or a place to go.

Why go buy a POS by relying on a forum if you know NOTHING. And if you know nothing and are relying on a "technical forum" yet probably don't even own a hammer, then a forum will be useless...
I suppose I didn't assume he obviously knew nothing, I guess I still have a shred of faith in my fellow human. If he did truly know nothing like John Snow, going to the place where there is the most knowledge of this particular model to query the experts is completely reasonable. Input was given, and he made what was probably the right choice for him.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
This is how a want to buy thread should have gone:
Newbie, question about bike for sale
Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Speak for your self. It is people like you behind a keyboard know-it-alls, ASSumimg, and being rude I try to stay away from, but you can't win, they don't stay away from you.

I will state it one more time. Speak for yourself. You know nothing about me ASSuming I can't even use a hammer, and that is how exactly? I really could not care less about your opinion, but if you need to know, my vehicles have not seen a shop in the last 12 years, and that includes body damage. All I need is a service manual, and I will do I it, and I haven't had a failure yet. No, I will not take an engine apart to rebuilt, but everything else, I'm good.

All I needed was what I asked. Get it through your thick skull, and don't answer if you don't have an answer. I can paint, clean, restore, detail the majority of a vehicle for cheap. Sure, the bike looks wethered, guess what, another negotiating point for me since I'll drop the price down. I can take care of that. What I don't want to take care of is spending more on major parts than the price of the bike.

You are some piece of work...

Last edited by Evangelosk; 08-29-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBouncewel View Post

A long time ago, I learned that when you're buying a used vehicle, you're buying the previous owner. A well used, high mileage machine owned by a mechanical engineer is almost always better than a low mileage machine owned by an idiot.

That is a great quote. Perfect. I think you win the internet today.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tomvv11
ckcarr, you did treat that guy like crap, and it was uncalled for.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
I participate in this board because normally there are no silly flame wars here,
I dont see any value in continuing this, the op was not happy with what this board is
and how its members operate, which is his perogotive, but enough. if anything what has
been said here should make it clear what the various posters behaviour is about.
which seems to be nothing about motorcycles.
but really can we just end this.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentw1 View Post
I participate in this board because normally there are no silly flame wars here,
Ha ha what planet having you been living on!! There have many over the years even back to Lennies Induct and the SJ offering the bikes can be a little mundane glad to see the posters ain't
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentw1 View Post
I dont see any value in continuing this, the op was not happy with what this board is
and how its members operate, which is his perogotive, but enough. if anything what has
been said here should make it clear what the various posters behaviour is about.
which seems to be nothing about motorcycles.
but really can we just end this.
What I got from here was very useful info on a bike I know nothing about from several members, and the usual typical comments from the always existing forum Nazis. I do want to thank again those who took the time to help, as it should be on a forum. Otherwise, what's the point of it?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
I'll Rip Your Head Off!

FUN FUNNY !

HA!

BUNCH OF DUMMYZ !

LIKE GOOD OLD WAYS!!

BANANA ??
Old 08-30-2017, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelosk View Post
What I got from here was very useful info on a bike I know nothing about from several members, and the usual typical comments from the always existing forum Nazis. I do want to thank again those who took the time to help, as it should be on a forum. Otherwise, what's the point of it?
Hence why this thread is running like it is because those folk who have owned an 1100s for a long time consider the info put on here as speculative at best.

I didn't read anything about exhausts/Induct/para arm to speed up the dog slow steering the C-R-A-P seat that crushes your nuts against the tank, fully syn in the gearbox instead of the stock treacle,the fuelling spoofer that was mentioned that's fair enough but without the means to increase the breathing of the motor an utter waste of money,how do we know these things??? Cuz at one time or another we have learned the hard way it's not guess work on our behalf.

When I bought my 1100 in 2000 it was hardly cutting edge but not bad and folks spent 1000's on their bikes even in its hey day the likes of the brake pipes where thrown in the bin 17 years ago,it's a fast approaching antique or be it a quirky one.

And I'll ask yet again how many have had a bad gear spline???? As opposed to those that have bailed cuz it's a fat old tractor motor that wouldn't pull you out of bed on a good day without serious money spending on it because that's what did for the old girl not any major mechanical or electrical issues with the bike.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-30-2017, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Hence why this thread is running like it is because those folk who have owned an 1100s for a long time consider the info put on here as speculative at best.

I didn't read anything about exhausts/Induct/para arm to speed up the dog slow steering the C-R-A-P seat that crushes your nuts against the tank, fully syn in the gearbox instead of the stock treacle,the fuelling spoofer that was mentioned that's fair enough but without the means to increase the breathing of the motor an utter waste of money,how do we know these things??? Cuz at one time or another we have learned the hard way it's not guess work on our behalf.

When I bought my 1100 in 2000 it was hardly cutting edge but not bad and folks spent 1000's on their bikes even in its hey day the likes of the brake pipes where thrown in the bin 17 years ago,it's a fast approaching antique or be it a quirky one.

And I'll ask yet again how many have had a bad gear spline???? As opposed to those that have bailed cuz it's a fat old tractor motor that wouldn't pull you out of bed on a good day without serious money spending on it because that's what did for the old girl not any major mechanical or electrical issues with the bike.
Well, you do understand you could have posted those things, right? I don't think pictures are needed for those? I don't think pics were needed for the nice member who posted about the suspension being a must to be replaced and also went to the extend to quote prices and brands? That's what I asked, so you pretty much reenforced my point.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelosk View Post
Hi and thanks in advance for any advise

I am interested in buying a 2001 R110S. I have not seen the bike yet, and I'm planning to take the trip Saturday. This is what I know: 29500 miles, 2nd owner since 2004. Low Fuel light is out. As per owner, the rear suspension has not been changed, neither the bearing. As per owner again, bike has regural engine and differential oil changes. The pictures do look good, but again, pictures can not tell the whole truth.

That's all I know, and until I see it from close, and ride it, I would not have anymore info. Any tips what and how to check when inspecting it? Major issues that arise with this bike at this mileage? Asking price is $3500

Again, thanks for any info.
I'll bring this post up because your post was specific not a general question hence why you didn't get a general answer!!

'The pictures do look good' you said!! No they didn't hence my question show us photos and I'll give you an opinion,changing a gearbox shaft compared to the hassle of getting that bike to how it used to be would be a minor detail and that's assuming you pulled the wrong number out of the hat and maybe just maybe got a bad shaft.

Never mind coming on here giving us grief you've had a lucky escape with that bike you'd have poured a fortune into it and still never got it right.

Oh I forgot!!! Do a search Chris Canning suspension into search Ohlins/Wilbers I've spent a fortune on 5 bikes I've had 3 different set ups on my 1100s never mind my others but a must change it most certainly isn't particularly with a wheezy old stock motor chugging along.
Tiger 955
R1100s

Last edited by Chris Canning; 08-30-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

I'm with Evangelosk on this.

Mr. Canning may have owned and spent a lot of money on various bikes including an R11S, he may be a longtime member here, and he may know something about how to set up an R11S for best performance, but his grouchy, rude, imperious attitude IS NOT helping anyone. He is certainly entitled to his OPINION on anything mechanical, but he also certainly does NOT know it all.

A new member (OP) expressed an interest in a particular BMW R11S that he admittedly had no familiarity with and asked a simple question, hoping to get some pointers on what to look for. He had no idea of the customs, norms, or etiquette on this forum. Starting an argument with him and bragging about all of his bikes, etc, is not good form, to say the least. And this is not the first time I've witnessed his bellicose.

Take a pill, Mr. Canning. This is just a forum. And, it's not YOUR forum.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
I'm with Evangelosk on this.

Mr. Canning may have owned and spent a lot of money on various bikes including an R11S, he may be a longtime member here, and he may know something about how to set up an R11S for best performance, but his grouchy, rude, imperious attitude IS NOT helping anyone. He is certainly entitled to his OPINION on anything mechanical, but he also certainly does NOT know it all.

A new member (OP) expressed an interest in a particular BMW R11S that he admittedly had no familiarity with and asked a simple question, hoping to get some pointers on what to look for. He had no idea of the customs, norms, or etiquette on this forum. Starting an argument with him and bragging about all of his bikes, etc, is not good form, to say the least. And this is not the first time I've witnessed his bellicose.

Take a pill, Mr. Canning. This is just a forum. And, it's not YOUR forum.
You need to look for the common denominator in this thread and while you think it's me I think it's you, based on what I hear you say?? I've got along tickety boo for 17 years with any number of folks that have come and gone on this board the difference with you is you seem hell bent on trying to re-write history based on your very brief ownership of an 1100s.

Some one has turned up on this board asking questions and you frighten him off with the probability that maybe 30 bikes or less out of 80,000 produced have a problem.

Where have I said I know it all!! You seem to be struggling with the fact that others know a dam sight more than you do,that's your problem not mine there have been some knowledgable guys on this forum who I have learned from you on the other hand seem hell bent on writing your own script based on what? pulling a gearbox off and how many years of ownership?

My forum!! Less than 3000 posts in 17 years yea right :

As you seem determined to offer me advise I'll do the same to you.

When you walk into a class you stand at the back with your mouth shut and your ears open untill you have some idea what is going on just like the rest of us have done over the years on here.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-31-2017, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
I had the bad spline. Came coasting to a stop in the middle of nowhere and had to push the bike 2 miles until I got to a gas station and cell service. Not sure I get the point though. Stuff happens on any bike and these are fantastic machines for the now-rediculous price of probably under $4,000. Assuming it's been normally maintained that is - otherwise it could be a money pit.

Further, as an ex motocrosser, I never quite got the obsession with suspension or greater horsepower on the street, unless I was racing and trying to squeeze 2 seconds off a lap time. I used the stock suspension the whole 10 years I owned the bike, and had no trouble keeping up with anyone. Rough spot? Just stand up or avoid it!

I think making incremental improvements is just a hobby or a challenge for some people - like stamp collecting. But none of it is "required."

Last edited by John Lyon; 08-31-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-31-2017, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
You never rode my bike with the stock suspension, beyond horrible, the front would bottom hard on any significant bump & the rear was merely a spring holder. There is a world of difference between stock & Ohlins suspension. As for fueling many of these bikes were surging, lurchy critters most definitely in need of help. The rest maybe, maybe not. I know my nuts didn't like the stock seat in any way, shape or form.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Blah Blah Blah

In conclusion...

Old 08-31-2017, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
I still can't figure out why people got angry in the first place.

Please start being more obvious.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: