Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Jon

Garage
BMW Roundel R1200s funky idle

Yes, I searched and read a lot about this already. But so far nothing conclusive that I have found.

Just want to know, is there a real solution to what appears to be a "THING" with the idle on these bikes or are we on our own to throw parts and time at the problem. Thank you BMW for making awesome bikes that also infuriate the hell out of people or at least this people.

bike is an '07 with 14k on the clock, service is up to date, not a valve adjust that is causing this intermittent lousy idling. Happens after it heats up and it clears itself for a short time after a restart, usually...

Old 08-28-2017, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
check for air leaks
the boots can leak at the head. and clamps
also check the throttle sync,
the actual idle ajustment is controlled by a stepper motor from the computer,
also separate 02 sensors for each side so make certain they are synced.
and check that the butterfly stops are correct and being set on,
does it seem to just be missing on one side.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Jon

Garage
does sound/feel like it is losing idle on the right side only yep. It just seems like the stepper motor is working when it wants to. But there are so many variables to consider, holy smoke I am a decent shade tree mechanic but with this kind of stuff, I may be out of my league.

I will check the other stuff out too, thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Did you see this?

12S - how do I reset the stepper motors or idle actuators

Did you read this too?

Idle actuators VS me VS R12S

Or this?

The greatest puzzle (R12S idle)

Peter f went OCD on this problem, god bless his heart. Unfortunately this is "normal" for the R12. Happens more often in hot weather and turning off the ignition completely, waiting 3 seconds and restarting always clears it. If it doesn't clear then you may probably need to clean/replace.

As stated the actuators are motorized and they stick sometimes when hot. I think BMW was like "Eh... f*ck it. We only made a few of these.... not going to bother fixing it. BTW did I happen to mention f*ck it?".

There are lots of things that would have probably been tweaked had there been at least one more model year.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Jon

Garage
Thank you

Bikermike, not what I wanted to hear but I am glad someone is willing to put it in clear terms!

I did read the posts you pointed out and I was thinking this is driving certain folks nutty and I don't want to go there see. So again thank you for exposing the official BMW fix aka you're F*cked!

Now on to bigger and better things.

Last edited by BMWWERX; 08-29-2017 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: not sure
Old 08-28-2017, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Best thing I can come up with is look for some used complete R12S throttle bodies with injectors and stepper motors. Not all R12 S's have this problem. Mine still does it. I call it the 1.5 idle. Somewhere I saw where BMW switched out complete TB units on a customers bike. Cured the problem. which brings me back to some were deformed or material used to make the TB's was not great. either way when the bike feels like it' a stepper motor hangs up causing the 1.5 idle. I point out again . Not all R12S bikes had this problem. 2 cnts from tjs who used to ride more before I got the big C.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I found a hairline crack in the insulator.. caused uneven running .. mostly under load but sometimes when it felt like it.. perhaps damp weather... but cheap and easy to eliminate first. .. the main center plug does the heavy lifting.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
'98 VFR800 and '07 R1200

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post
Best thing I can come up with is look for some used complete R12S throttle bodies with injectors and stepper motors. Not all R12 S's have this problem. Mine still does it. I call it the 1.5 idle. Somewhere I saw where BMW switched out complete TB units on a customers bike. Cured the problem. which brings me back to some were deformed or material used to make the TB's was not great. either way when the bike feels like it' a stepper motor hangs up causing the 1.5 idle. I point out again . Not all R12S bikes had this problem. 2 cnts from tjs who used to ride more before I got the big C.
I would listen to Mr Steele. He's a BMW mechanic who worked on, and now owns (last I heard) my R1100s.

My R1200s has this issue too. I may start looking for used throttle bodies if it get more annoying. Right now, it's very intermittent, and doesn't bother me enough.

TJS, I ride past you're place every month or so. Sorry to hear about the C. I'll stop in next time I'm out that way. Let me know if you feel up for a visitor

Becker
Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Could be so many different things. A technician may be required to sort out.

Just to add to the myriad of potentials for poor idle-- faulty wires to the coil can cause a choppy idle. These wires can "cook" at higher mileage or be inadvertently pulled by inexperienced handling during periodic servicing. There was a BMW service bulletin way back when for a previous model, that still applies. A bad coil can also cause a choppy idle. So can a dinged or otherwise bad spark plug. The list goes on...

Sometimes an electronic diagnostic program check/reset can cure an idle problem.

You're in Sacramento. Have the folks at A&S looked at it? If you're not satisfied with them, I would recommend Bavarian Cycle Works in San Francisco. (Please don't call the latter "feeling" for answers, only call for a set appointment day to drop-off.)

Last edited by Mark R 1200 S; 09-11-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post
Best thing I can come up with is look for some used complete R12S throttle bodies with injectors and stepper motors.
I have a complete set to sell.
JR
Old 09-11-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Jon

Garage
Don't have spare cash to throw at this problem currently, I appreciate the input but for now I will cope with it and save my money oh, and ride it! A trip to Ozzie's in Chico, CA. or A & S in Sacramento, CA may be in its future, we shall see.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: