Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The drawing is wrong the ABS ring goes under the disc hence why I said in the other post about the thickness because there is 3 different spec wheels the difference being the length of the mounting peg that the disc mounts on.

From 99 to I think around 01 the ABS ring is cast and comes in around 4.5mm then the wheel that has the pressed tin ABS ring had a longer peg and shimming the disc is a pain because you'll struggle to get spacers that thin,and then there's the non AB S wheel.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

The brake calipers are bolted to the fork legs and shouldn't move around, For "give" the pads can move side to side with the pistons.

On my '01 the ABS rind is against the wheel and the rotor is bolted on top of it.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
the non abs and the later thin abs ring are the same rim and standoff lenghts
its just the early one with the thicker abs ring that is different.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply mr. Goodwin. I did call the wheel off last night and removed the left side rotor. I'll try to attach pics of what I found, but basically the retaining bolts are 8mm bolts. Behind the rotor are 3 mm thick washers with a 10mm hole. Additionally, there are no spring washers and the shoulder on the mounting bolt measures 13.5 mm well the whole in the rotor measures 14.0 millimeters. Seems to me there's a lot of room for the rotor to be shifting around as it does. I guess I'll call my local BMW dealer and see if they have a hardware kit to include spring washers and mounting bolts. I don't think I should be able to grab the rotor and rotate it to any degree like a steering wheel.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I appreciate all of the help guys, and gals if they're in this conversation. I apologize if I'm being a pest and beating a dead horse. However, this bike is new to me and I don't care to ride it if I find anything that doesn't appear correct. In particular the drivetrain and the breaking. Hopefully I can get it sorted out and feel safe and confident and riding it
Old 09-08-2017, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

New bolts and washers or no you'll need to find a thicker washer to go behind the disc,re the braking !! First time I rode a demo 1100 in 08 locked the back end up left a 20 yard darky took the bike back and said no thanks and still struggle if I haven't ridden it for a time
Tiger 955
R1100s

Last edited by Chris Canning; 09-08-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
looks like you need new wave washers and spacers, check the thickness of the washers
to make certain they are the same thickness as a abs ring. to center the rotor.
the first time I did one of these fronts I had a assortment of rims I was putting on a wreck
recovery and the alignment was so far off the rim wouldnt spin, it was a non abs 1 rim.
any way you need item 3 and 4 from the diagram.
I assume the were worn from not having the washers in them.
the older r1100 mountings need to be replaced periodically they are designed to float entirely
and the motion wears out the aluminm bobbins.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
also a torque wrench is a good thing to tighten them with,
(clean thread + Loctite 2701)........................ 21 Nm
Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
also on the vibes you need to check the throttle ballance under load and just off idle,
I use a electronic one I can ride with, properly set up they shouldnt be out of sync
at any setting, this can be caused by leaks or shaft wear in the throttle bodies,
also having the injectors cleaned and matched will help.
but yeah they do vibrate more than my rc51 but really not badly if they are set up correctly.
Ive ridden them 300 miles in a day with no problem
Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentw1 View Post
looks like you need new wave washers and spacers, check the thickness of the washers
t.
And there is the rub because even with everything else changed without the correct spacer to replicate the ABS ring everything will tighten up and the disc will still be loose I'm having to remember back 13 years but I'm sure the ring is 5mm and as I couldn't find such had to settle for 4.5mm and looks like the previous owner has had the same problem and went with 3mm and hence your problem wear and spring washer excepted.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 09-08-2017, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
I measured my abs ring, it's 4.8mm so 5mm would work fine. I know when I removed the rear abs ring I had to stack washers to get the 4.8/5mm height to remount the rear disc. I torqued it down then remeasured to get it right.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Thanks again. I'll think I'll order new bushes and spring washers , and the easiest for me would be to put a used and ring on. Can be sourced for about $35. Then I'll know it's right rather than playing guessing games for the sake of the way the wheel looks
Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentw1 View Post
looks like they used washers to replace the ring, probably the wrong thickness.
the other side should be firm but the wave washers should not be fully compressed.
both sides sound suspisous
if you cant figure it out I will be in the shop over the weekend and I can measure a ring.
Brent, did you get a chance to measure an abs ring? I have new bushings and wave washers from the dealer.. Want to make sure the spacing is correct..
Thanks for your help
Old 09-21-2017, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Brent, sorry I missed your reply when you mentioned the abs ring thicknes. The 3 mil thick washers that were behind my rotor have a 10 mil hole. Shouldn't it be an 8 mile hole ....some as the bolt to minimize movement? I'm going on a hunt for 4.8-5.0 thick washers today. Thank you sir
Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: