Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
ABS-ectomy Rear Line

Gents,

As my ABS has been acting up lately, I've decided to ditch to whole thing up.

I bought SS lines, the front is pretty much self-explanatory.

On the rear however, I need the the short line with fittings from the master to the splitter.

Is there a part # or do I have to buy the tools, line, and fittings and fabricate my own one?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
My line has the fitting to fit the flange where the steel line was. I've seen others that connected straight onto the master cylinder like the front. It's been so long don't remember if it's a Speigler, Goodridge or Galfer, I've used all 3 on different bikes. Try ebay that's where I usually get them. Just an fyi, all of them will rotate at the flange if it doesn't line up right
Old 09-09-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The line is too short to connect directly..
Old 09-09-2017, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
Get one that is long enough, it's easier... that's what I did.
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 09-09-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have a custom pipe made up from caliper to the rear brake cylinder don't ask what size the banjo bolt is/was way to long ago.

Tiger 955
R1100s

Last edited by Chris Canning; 09-09-2017 at 11:53 AM..
Old 09-09-2017, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure, but I believe BMW used the same rear hose and mount for both ABS and non-ABS applications. Max BMW website shows a part #34 32 2 335 705 "Brake Pipe" as a solid metal brake line connecting from the rear master directly to the rubber brake line and the rear caliper (https://tinyurl.com/y8uvy27w Section 34 - Brakers, Diagram #34_0784 ). The metal line still appears to be available at $22.14 or you could make one? Let us know what end up doing and which brake line kit you bought? I'm facing the same issue at some point.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered Agitator

Garage
That's what my s.s. line attaches to (#3). I might of got it for the absectomy now that I think about it. Will that work with your brake line Nitro?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My '03 prep - non ABS - (Galfer)

Last edited by Jozef Schumann; 09-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: added photo
Old 09-10-2017, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have a non ABS Wiring harnes. $100 plus shipping.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Jozef,

I also bought a Galfer kit but the rear is so short, it does not even reach the splitter! I'll give them a call.

Also, you installed your line backwards! The banjo fitting goes to the caliper and the straight fitting into the master cylinder.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
When this is all sorted out can you put some part numbers in here?
Thanks!

Seems lately these threads are like "Oh, I bought it on Amazon" or "eBay has them..."
We are losing our way as a tech board...
2000 R1100S, 2000 Dyna FXDX, 2015 rNineT. 2016 Rubicon, 2010 F-150, 1995 GMC Sierra. 2001 Corvette, 1978 Porsche 928. Schwinn Homegrown MTB & Fastback Road Bike. 22 pairs of shoes. 44 bottles of beer.
Time Marches On: 2010 F800GS, 2007 R1200S, 2003 Dakar, Buell 1125r, 2001 F650GS. 1999 F650. 1998 HD Sportster Sport. ALL GONE
Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No numbers from me just contact a supplier who makes up custom braided hoses and tell them what you want what I see in the other photos looks a bit of a streach.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Jozef,

I also bought a Galfer kit but the rear is so short, it does not even reach the splitter! I'll give them a call.

Also, you installed your line backwards! The banjo fitting goes to the caliper and the straight fitting into the master cylinder.
Good eye Nitro - however, there IS an explanation of course. You see when I set out to refurbish my machine a couple of years ago I purchased an front/rear kit which Galfer had listed as suitable for a BCR. The front lines were not the GP, or single to two line (as per O.E. configuration) but a rather unsightly two-from-the-master-with-a longer banjo bolt affair. This simply would not suffice and being relatively local to Galfer USA which is in Oxnard/Ventura was serendipitous so I contacted them and spoke to a technician who offered a couple of options:

"Since we don't have a set of (GP) lines for your bike either come down and leave it with us - or - supply us with exact measurements and accompanying photos and we'll make up a set. If you provide us with high quality photos of them installed they'll be free of charge"

In reference to the rear line, they provided me with three lines none of which fit properly when configured as per banjo fitting at the master end. Two were too long and one was too short so I asked them to make the short line 7mm longer which is what is on my bike as shown in the photos. When measuring lengths I was able to articulate the paralever through its travel range since the shock wasn't in place. Looks are deceiving as there is absolutely no tightness or stretch whatsoever - on the contrary - There's at least a couple mm slack when at its cross over fulcrum. Well proven now for well over 65k miles since their fitment. There was a very minor installation kerfuffle. The caliper end casting itself has an integral fitting tube stop which is an impediment to full access of the Galfer brake line fitting as spec'd on my unit. I easily addressed this by modifying a deep 12 point socket. I just prefer the clean, unfettered, appearance or I would have chosen the conventional option.

CK - I don't have the part numbers as none existed when they were made, however - If one contacts Galfer and inquires specifically on an '03 BMW Boxer Cup Prep. They should receive a duplicate of what's on my machine though obviously the rear line was a one off to my specs which I can provide if somebody chooses to go the same route.

For general edification - below is what was on the machine as purchased:

J.S.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You need the non ABS pipe, master is the same. Part # 03 34 32 2335 705 and you are down the road. $22.00 at my local dealer actually he had to order it. They don't keep much for vintage oilheads anymore. Actually I think I may have one in my garage somewhere.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

03 is not part of the BMW part number .2cnts from tjs
Old 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Update.

I called Galfer; I guess their drawings are way off regarding the rear line. Their setup is supposed to plug into the splitter but it's still 1.5" too short.

They will make a 18" long line (vs. the 12" came with the kit) as per my specification so I can plug straight into the master.

As far as the front, I got the two-line set up; I see no evil in that. I've raced bikes with two lines front without any issues and I have two lines on my RC51. The argument about the T front (AKA GP) is to have both lower lines the very same length and save some line length and fluid but honestly I don't think it makes a hair of a difference.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Go with Spiegler's standard rear brake kit and OEM metal pipe mentioned above. I've done that on my last two absectomies and works (and looks) great. I assume you are also ditching the pump/retaining the electronics.

Hope you weathered Irma OK.

Last edited by tic105; 09-14-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
FYI,

Galfer offers two rear lines: One for Brembo and one for BMW calipers. Both will have to use the splitter. I guess my kit came with the shorter line meant for the BMW setup while I have the Brembo.

I did order a custom rear so I can bypass the splitter and plug directly into the master; a much more elegant solution.

PS
Irma sucked! I still do not have power, water, and there's a huge gas shortage!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Damn, I feel for you, I just got power back after living off a generator since sunday. Gas is a pain to find here but it's getting better. No water would really suck, fortunately mine stayed on but pressure was really low. Hope you get it all back soon.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic105 View Post
Go with Spiegler's standard rear brake kit and OEM metal pipe mentioned above. I've done that on my last two absectomies and works (and looks) great. I assume you are also ditching the pump/retaining the electronics.

Hope you weathered Irma OK.
You only need to keep the electronics with the newer power brake system, my '99 doesn't need it & it was removed with the pump & sold to a member here.

If there was any doubt, Irma sucked for everyone in Florida, we all got hit, some worse than others. The Keys will never be the same again.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: