Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

99 R11S Cuts Out, Shuts Off

New to forum - question for the braintrust. I just bought a great condition 99 S - 30,000 miles, no damage, no molestation, everything feels 'tight' and like new. While last owner had no service records, there are no signs of shadetree mechanic work. Runs beautifully for first 20 mins or so with no issues. After that, it starts to cut out, mostly under load, but not always and not limited to load. When it cuts out, all electric dies; no lights and gauges drop. Above idle, it recovers quickly. Near or at idle, it shuts off. Then lights come back and it will crank and start. Several times, however, there is no electrical response at the key. My first thought is Hall sensor failure (intermittent, cuts out, comes back, heat related). But, would the electrics go out with it? Or, should I be looking for a wiring harness short or cut-off switch failure? But wouldn't those effects happen cold or warm? Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You don't normally lose all electrical power with a HES failure. I'd be wondering about a bad ground, battery issue, or the wiring on the right handgrip going to the engine cutoff switch.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

While it doesn't fit entirely with your description of the symptoms, the "no electrical response at the key" part has come up with the R1100S from time to time as an open circuit connection of the wiring harness to ignition switch due to deteriation and fatigue of wires. Could be a good place to check. Do a search and there will be some pictures posted of the problem. The connection can be intermittent with steering movement.

Last edited by KMoore; 09-25-2017 at 03:46 AM..
Old 09-25-2017, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the initial responses. My first thought was weak battery as seller reported it had been fully drained after sitting for a number of months. Also, it was a $49 battery that was too small for the bike and I know (learned) from my other Beemers how important deep cycling can be. So...a new battery later and the problem persists. I shudder at having to chase down wiring harness issues as I suffer from PMGSD (Post MG Stress Disorder). But I will drink some warm beer from my Lucas fridge and begin searching this forum for likely suspect areas. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mine did this and I had the ignition switch replaced. All was well. I have had similar problems twice before on different bikes and it was the ignition switch; replaced both times.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ha, with your Lucas wiring experience the R1100 S will be a piece of cake to diagnose.
The kick stand switch and oil pressure switch can sometimes play up. Mine did some funny things after a wash once and after checking and cleaning the oil pressure swich connection was all good.
It will more than likely be comething simple... once you discover it.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
sykospain

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to sykospain
Could it be something as simple as the seller has installed an anti-theft device that brings the vehicle to a stop shortly after it's been nicked ? Some car anti-theft things work that way. Then all you do is run up the road to where the guy is stranded, then beat the ***** out of him....
Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzerbee View Post
Mine did this and I had the ignition switch replaced. All was well. I have had similar problems twice before on different bikes and it was the ignition switch; replaced both times.
I had a K75S that was doing a similar thing. I took it to my dealer and he put a new ignition switch in it. When he tested the switch it tested fine. I had no problem after the switch was replaced.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

A known problem on the S. The wires get pulled at the ignition switch. Start the bike then push/pull the wires going to the switch to see if it acts up.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
I had a K75S that was doing a similar thing. I took it to my dealer and he put a new ignition switch in it. When he tested the switch it tested fine. I had no problem after the switch was replaced.
Yes, I have repaired the K75 switches by gently pulling them apart and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. I did eventually replace the ignition switch however when I had an issue a year or so later. On my 1100S the switch turned out to be the culprit after the bike would miss and then be okay for awhile and then miss and or die again later on.

Last edited by buzzerbee; 09-25-2017 at 02:38 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
A known problem on the S. The wires get pulled at the ignition switch. Start the bike then push/pull the wires going to the switch to see if it acts up.
Good advice.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thank you all again for the experienced suggestions. The ignition switch makes logical sense and where I will start. I will report back later.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yes. Appears to be wiring into base of ignition switch. At least, that's where I was able to isolate and recreate the issue. Not sure if it's a break in the wiring in the harness near the base of the switch (less unlikely) or the switch base itself (more likely). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to dedicate the time to R&R the switch. So, there it sits...mocking me every time I walk into the garage. Or, maybe it's the little, ever-reliable CB500X that's sneering...
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Right on.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccimino View Post
Yes. Appears to be wiring into base of ignition switch. At least, that's where I was able to isolate and recreate the issue. Not sure if it's a break in the wiring in the harness near the base of the switch (less unlikely) or the switch base itself (more likely). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to dedicate the time to R&R the switch. So, there it sits...mocking me every time I walk into the garage. Or, maybe it's the little, ever-reliable CB500X that's sneering...
This was my thought and earlier recommendation and a common failure with the R1100S. Not an inexpensive fix but not too costly either.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

On mine the switch was fine but a couple of the wires were broken.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I see you

ccimino, if you do try to remove the ignition cylinder take this advice, lay a big azz towel under the front end. There is a teeny tiny, itsy bitsy retaining screw that holds the cylinder in place. When you remove and drop it that sucker will go pffftthwing! across the garage and you'll never see it again...unless you spread a towel under the bike.
Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 11-03-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: