Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tomvv11
Odd new fuel pump noise

Had my fuel pump assembly out to check the tubing in pursuit of a starting problem. It was all fine, but on reassembly my fuel pump now seems louder and much higher pitched than previously. I think I put it all back together with the tubing unobstructed and not pressing on the inside of the tank. Does anyone recognize a whinier fuel pump as any kind of omen?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That has happened to me before. I don't think it's a problem.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 10-02-2017, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
bobr11s

Did you drain the fuel to remove the pump / filter ?
Either the fuel level is lower and the pump is working harder or you are more consious of the noise now that you have worked on it .
Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel has been refilled. I turned on the ignition a couple times with the pump attached to the wires but not the fuel lines when I had it out of the tank, to make sure it was working.
Bike runs great after wringing out starter motor problem which was root cause, but some mellow has definitely been lost with the increase in volume and shrillness. Sounds like the pump is working extra hard. At less than 14K I wouldn't think the fuel filter would be clogged, and lines inside tank seemed free of kinks. I did install quick disconnects when I had it apart but they seem to flow plenty freely.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
one of mine is noisy more so as it gets towards empty
Old 10-02-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvv11 View Post
Fuel has been refilled. I turned on the ignition a couple times with the pump attached to the wires but not the fuel lines when I had it out of the tank, to make sure it was working.
My bike sat for close to a year while I was dealing with the clutch spline issue. Due to the age/mileage of the bike, and the fact that it sat for as long as it did, I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pickup sock, and had the injectors professionally cleaned. Having done all that, I didn't want to pump year+ old gas that was in the pump through all these new/clean components. Using 2 battery tender gator clamps harnesses, I hooked the pump to a fresh supply of fuel and a line going into a gas can. Unfortunately I made a bonehead mistake and hooked the red clamp to positive on the battery and the other red clamp to positive terminal on the pump, completely forgetting that the polarity was flipped with the 2 battery tender harnesses hooked together. I ran the pump for less than 10 seconds in total before correcting polarity. Bike started and ran fine when I got it all back together, but the pump seemed louder than it use to. 30 miles into my first ride, the pump called it quits. These pumps really don't like to be run dry. Not saying yours is guaranteed to fail soon, but don't be too surprised if it does.
2003 R1100S BCR #73
1998 R1200C
1968 R60/2
1966 R50/2
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Maybe I'll get a pump and filter set and carry them in my tankbag for the eventuality. Won't THAT be a jolly roadside repair? Oh, and the big O-ring. It really likes to have a new one or else pays you back with gas fumes in the garage.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
It really likes to have a new one or else pays you back with gas fumes in the garage.
Or slowly drip on to your cylinder head. DAMHIK
Old 10-07-2017, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: