Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil pressure sensor diagnosis (r11s 98)

Hi all,
Iíve been reading you for a while, but this is my very first post. Seems to be good stuff at the forum ;-)

I bought my pitch black Ď98 r1100s a month or so ago, 47k kms in the odo, and Iíve been giving her some love while putting another thousand in it

When I bought it, it was running but with no official revision, so it could not be taken to the road in my country, like me because the previous owner had refilled so much it was stopping the bike at idling when warmed up.
I only fired up three times before I realised. Then I serviced her and now runs fine (with some minor faults here and there). But before servicing the oil pressure light was turning on before starting the bike. One day, while just putting contact the light blinked and went off without starting the bike, until today.
I thought it was a bulb going south but later I learned it was an LED (another story Iíll post about).
The thing is I want to fix that light (kind of important ).
Iím suspecting the oil pressure sensor gave away while under too much pressure but, before ordering a replacement, maybe you can help me with the diagnosis?

With the bike in contact but not running, my voltmeter reads approx 12v between the sensor contact an mass; with the bike running it reads slightly above, I guess due to the alternator. My guess is that it is a Normally Closed contact that should open when the right pressure is applied, thus being broken it is always open and the bike understands thereís always the right pressure.
Same with resistance, always infinite.

Could you please confirm (or reject) this hypothesis and/or let me know your readings or what type of sensor this bike has?
If it is just that, it is an easy and cheap one

Thanks a lot!
XSrider
PS: donít have a pic of her at hand but will post one later
Old 11-06-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The switch is only $20-$25 from the dealer. Probably be the cheapest thing you'll ever buy for that bike.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 11-06-2017, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi XSrider :

It's good that you are getting the 12 volts at oil pressure switch connector.

Now , to test the oil pressure switch.
With an Ohm meter, check the oil pressure switch when the the engine is cold ( not running).
Then, check it when the engine is running.
Place one probe/lead on the oil pressure switch contact, and the other probe/lead to ground.
You should see a difference in resistance.
If not , I'd go with Jim Moore's ( above post ) suggestion.

Here's a link that has good info -
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/engine-oil-pressure-switch-operating-principles-kiril-mucevski
Old 11-06-2017, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi,
After managing to get some help from an Spanish forum, by getting the electrical diagrams, Iíve found this should be a Normally Closed NC sensor, so, while in contact with motor off, Iíve connected the sensorís wire to ground and the LED has turned on, I think definitely the sensor has gone south, Iíll be ordering a new one and replacing it.
Thanks for your help! Iíll be confirming the solution here once replaced
Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: