Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/)
-   -   Selling 03 bought an 01. Observations (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/979028-selling-03-bought-01-observations.html)

feisty 11-28-2017 03:25 AM

Selling 03 bought an 01. Observations
 
Yeehah! I've finally bought myself an 01 BCR replace my 03 r1100s. The r1100s is pretty much immaculate with 49,000 km on it. The BCR is the same with 25,000 km on it.
I was lucky and bought the BCR at about half market value from a mate who bought a new 18 GS.

After prepping the 03 for sale and swapping the best bits onto the BCR I have noticed the earlier loom insulation is pathetic and feel I need to re-insulate most of the loom. The single spark seems to go as well as the twin spark so no issues there. No flat spots so very happy. Sad that I now have ABS. Even sadder because it has started to play up. My specialist bmw mechanic is more than happy to get rid of it for me when it truly fails.
Not that I rely on self-cancelling indicators but the 01 does not have them but the 03 does. A shame.

I installed heated grips on the 03. I now have to do it again on the 01 but as pre 2003 models are not pre-wired for grips I need an addition loom and an early heated grips switchblock.

The 03 had the factory sports exhaust Verlinde which sounded great. The BCR has a two bothers which is LOUD. I'm enjoying it though as the burps and farts on over run remind me of the sound of my old ducati 900s2 conti's.

Sad part is i have also just bought an immaculate r1150rt that also has ABS. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to bleed ABS brakes and how to paint early 2000 model forks.......


https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e92d350981.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d856af023d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...01633af525.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

giarcg 11-28-2017 04:23 AM

Sweet combo the BCR and RT... I have both as well, both '04s. My BCR is non ABS thankfully but I've gotten quite proficient at flushing the system on the RT. Do yourself a favor and get the funnel from Bemmer Boneyard or make a version of it. My first attempts at flushing were pretty ugly not using it.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

Also, I'm using this stuff to replace the deteriorating loom insulation...works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Flexo-F6-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Wrap-Split-Loom-Techflex-F6N0-38BK/350999179276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=620 245294111&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

feisty 11-28-2017 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giarcg (Post 9829188)
Sweet combo the BCR and RT... I have both as well, both '04s. My BCR is non ABS thankfully but I've gotten quite proficient at flushing the system on the RT. Do yourself a favor and get the funnel from Bemmer Boneyard or make a version of it. My first attempts at flushing were pretty ugly not using it.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

Also, I'm using this stuff to replace the deteriorating loom insulation...works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Flexo-F6-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Wrap-Split-Loom-Techflex-F6N0-38BK/350999179276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=620 245294111&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the tip. I read the beemer boneyard spiel. Wooden shims?????? I obviously have a lot to learn about bleeding ABS systems.

Which reminds me about another point of difference between the BCR and the 1150rt. The brakes are stupidly sensitive on the 1150 and reasonable on the BCR. I gather they both have linked systems.

That insulation looks pretty good. I was going to go old school and use cloth tape. I'm amazed by how bad the earlier insulation is. I thought I knew of all this model's issues but obviously not.
I'm loving the BCR. It has reinvigorated my love of the R1100s. When I first rode this bike 6 years ago it handled like a pig. It was so bad I posted a thread here asking for help. I thought it was a siezed steering damper. Turns out it was just crap tyres. It's amazing what you get used to. My mate thought it handled well.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

giarcg 11-28-2017 04:54 AM

Per the manual the pistons in all three calipers need to be pushed back fully prior to filling the resevoirs in the servo unit. This is important to establish a consistent reference to avoid too much or too little fluid in the sytem... you'll understand once you do it. The shims keep the pistons in during the bleed process. I use window shims... of couse BMW sells the official tool for $$$$.

Servo brakes are loved or hated... I have mixed feelings about them. I have removed the system on a few bikes after the servo failed.

feisty 11-28-2017 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giarcg (Post 9829215)
Per the manual the pistons in all three calipers need to be pushed back fully prior to filling the resevoirs in the servo unit. This is important to establish a consistent reference to avoid too much or too little fluid in the sytem... you'll understand once you do it. The shims keep the pistons in during the bleed process. I use window shims... of couse BMW sells the official tool for $$$$.

Servo brakes are loved or hated... I have mixed feelings about them. I have removed the system on a few bikes after the servo failed.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll put the hard work on my mechanic and get him to teach me how to do it. Actually how about i do a search..... cheers and thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

giarcg 11-28-2017 05:02 AM

BTW - interesting effect by painting the bodywork in the knee area...looks good. I added tank pads to accent that area:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1511877596.jpg

pwillikers 11-28-2017 06:11 AM

Very detailed instructions on bleeding the iABS brakes.

Nitro 11-28-2017 08:46 AM

Ditch the ABS, best mod ever!

BigDav 11-28-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwillikers (Post 9829301)

If his 2001 is like my 2001, that is the wrong ABS system.

BTW, my ABS works great.

Kyle_withan_R 11-28-2017 11:30 AM

r1100s production switched from ABS II to iABS in February 2001. Your 2001 model year bike was probably produced in late 2000 (most if not all U.S. bikes are produced in the fall of the previous calendar year) so I suspect you don't need the BBY funnel and you should just be able to flush at the calipers instead of also having to flush at the ABS module.

ABS II seems to have a higher ABS module failure rate than iABS. You could have the module rebuilt by Module Master, but I don't blame you for saving the weight and money and ditching it altogether.

iABS brakes are power-assisted, the servo make a whirring sound when the bike is on and the brake lever is applied. With the bike off or battery dead, iABS bikes have a very minimal amount of braking capability.

Mitch1100 11-28-2017 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=feisty;9829161]Yeehah! I've finally bought myself an 01 BCR replace my 03 r1100s.

Nice machinery there! G'day from TassieSmileWavy

feisty 11-28-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle_withan_R (Post 9829734)
r1100s production switched from ABS II to iABS in February 2001. Your 2001 model year bike was probably produced in late 2000 (most if not all U.S. bikes are produced in the fall of the previous calendar year) so I suspect you don't need the BBY funnel and you should just be able to flush at the calipers instead of also having to flush at the ABS module.

ABS II seems to have a higher ABS module failure rate than iABS. You could have the module rebuilt by Module Master, but I don't blame you for saving the weight and money and ditching it altogether.

iABS brakes are power-assisted, the servo make a whirring sound when the bike is on and the brake lever is applied. With the bike off or battery dead, iABS bikes have a very minimal amount of braking capability.

Thanks for the detailed info. I gather they are both iABS as they are both servo assisted. The RT is way more sensitive.
Still learning how to cope with unassisted brakes when manoeuvring on inclines after start up. Can be a little scary on the RT due to its weight and centre of gravity.
Any idea what a module rebuild is worth?



Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

feisty 11-28-2017 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=Mitch1100;9829862]
Quote:

Originally Posted by feisty (Post 9829161)
Yeehah! I've finally bought myself an 01 BCR replace my 03 r1100s.

Nice machinery there! G'day from TassieSmileWavy

Thanks mate! Yep I like them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lkchris 11-29-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feisty (Post 9829161)
I have noticed the earlier loom insulation is pathetic and feel I need to re-insulate most of the loom.

Not pathetic, rather just as designed.

1990s Euro regulations required manufacturers to produce wiring harnesses that are biodegradable. This affects all Oilheads and I imagine other BMW of the era. Also Volvo, Mercedes, etc., fwiw.

1st generation is always the problem child ... subsequent bikes are CANBus, with lots less wiring.

BigDav 11-30-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

r1100s production switched from ABS II to iABS in February 2001. Your 2001 model year bike was probably produced in late 2000
For some reason I thought the change over was later; like 2003. Yes my bike is late 2000 build date.

Is it normal for a BRC bike to have ABS and pannier racks? I thought there were stripped down models.

Kyle_withan_R 11-30-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDav (Post 9832091)
For some reason I thought the change over was later; like 2003. Yes my bike is late 2000 build date.

Here's my info source for the changeover: ABS faults

I'm also aware that Spiegler sells 2 different SS brake line kits for ABS bikes. One is marketed for 1998-2001 bikes, the other one is marketed for 2002-2004 bikes. This backs up the claim that the changeover was in February 2001 production.
Here's the link for Spiegler: https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/cycle-brake-line-kits/make/bmw/model/r-1100-s.html

Spiegler mistakenly lists them both as being for ABS II, but I'm aware of a fellow pelicaneer who installed the latter kit on an iABS bike (SEE POST # 8 HERE http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/701526-r1100s-spiegler-brake-line-kit.html). The lines are different for ABS II vs iABS, so it seems clear to me that Spiegler made a mistake on their listing.

Kyle_withan_R 11-30-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feisty (Post 9829887)
Any idea what a module rebuild is worth?


Module Master doesn't have a price on an iABS rebuild. A rebuild of an ABSII module is listed at $350, and an iABSII rebuild is $250.
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/product-category/motor-sports/abs-modules-motor-sports/

I haven't seen anyone claim to have an iABS module or servo fail after being properly maintained (BMW manual says flush it every year, but it's such a pain in the ass bleeding at the module that I just do it every other year or every 12k miles), but I don't see everything. I would hope that they were designed to be overly robust units since there's such little braking power when the system isn't on... When ABSII units fail, you still have full braking power, just no ABS. That's not the case with iABS, so the consequences of unit failure differ.

Alfa145V6 11-30-2017 11:32 AM

Nice looking BCR there Feisty. Very clean and in great shape.
No one else commented yet so I may be making an arse of myself here, but I thought that the brakes are not linked.
None of my steeds have abs. I sometimes wish I had it ... just in case.

feisty 11-30-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 9831053)
Not pathetic, rather just as designed.

1990s Euro regulations required manufacturers to produce wiring harnesses that are biodegradable. This affects all Oilheads and I imagine other BMW of the era. Also Volvo, Mercedes, etc., fwiw.

1st generation is always the problem child ... subsequent bikes are CANBus, with lots less wiring.

Good point. Bit of a pain as I plan to keep the bikes for a long time as once they reach 25 years old registration costs can reduce by about 80% as they be registered as historic vehicles.
Sounds like a good winter project.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

feisty 11-30-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDav (Post 9832091)
For some reason I thought the change over was later; like 2003. Yes my bike is late 2000 build date.

Is it normal for a BRC bike to have ABS and pannier racks? I thought there were stripped down models.

I gather abs was an option. My mate bought the panniers new from BMW a year ago and never used them. But of a win for me there.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.