Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel leak/drip

Hope everyone is staying warm, was nice enough to get the bike out for the ride to work today and it woke me up to a problem.

About a month ago I rode the bike before vacation, and topped off the tank with 90 octane alcohol free gas, and rode the mile home and parked it and plugged in the battery tender. Over the next week or so I had a fuel smell in the garage, which I thought was abnormal, but never saw any fuel dripping. I have chain saws and such in the garage so a smell is nothing new.

Yesterday I rolled the bike to middle of the garage and started it, it was cold natured but did start. However the low fuel light was on. This morning, I rolled it out again and opened the gas cap and saw no fuel in the tank. I used a gas gan and put a gallon or so in, and turned on the key the low fuel light was off. I had about 8 miles on the bike from when I filled it up. Road it to worn, no issues, but when I came out to go home I smelled gas. I checked the bottom of the tank, and traced the overflow lines and found fuel dripping on the cat converter, so I re-routed the lines to the ground. When I got home, it was dripping, about one drop every 30 seconds. I realized the rug I park on had been saturated and it had dissolved the rubber backing into mush.

My bike has no canister, and has a larger and a smaller line coming down from the tank. I read through several canister threads, looks like the overflow and vent are connected up high in the tank, one is the water drain from the gas tank, one is a vent. I looked through Max's website and it looks like there is a rubber line inside the tank from the vent and drain to the plate with the fuel pump on it.

The only thing I can figure out is that one of those rubber lines in the tank is damaged or aged and is letting the fuel leak out ever so slowly.

Anyone had a problem like this?

Anyone know which is the vent or drain? I have a small line and a little larger line.

Thank in advance! Chuck
Old 01-10-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There should be fours line going to the fuel pump/tank inspection plate. The two large ones are the fuel supply and return lines. The two smaller lines will be your vent and drain. Doesn't matter which is the drain or vent because you will be going in to replace them anyway.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, I read through several fuel leak threads where fuel lines or the ring was leaking. Looks like I'll be draining and removing the tank. I ordered a fuel filter, inside fuel lines, and rings. Doesn't look like it comes with he vent and drain lines. Since they aren't at pressure I'm guess fuel line will work for them.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like the internal vent hose ( part number 1 ) has be submersible grade.

Looks like BMW wants ~ $49.
or
Vent Hose 5mm ID / 10mm OD - 1 Meter long - BMW Hexhead, K-Bike & Oilhead; 13 53 2 325 737 / BMW
Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If your canister has been removed it's not a great idea to fill it to the brim, then let it sit. The gas will expand and leak out the overflow vent. If you're going straight home either get gas 10 miles away or leave a little space at the top.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've posted plenty of photos over the years but as they were Photobucket long gone.

I'm not a fan of filling the tank up long term much prefer little in the tank and just drop fresh in when ready to go,but more by chance I have my tank off for some TLC so you can see what your options are for leakage including the O ring behind the pump plate.

Oh and I have QR fittings

Tiger 955
R1100s

Last edited by Chris Canning; 01-11-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

There's a line that goes from one side of the tank to the other. Could it be the source?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nope, it's one of the lines that come down to the canister from the tank. I went by the local Honda dealer and they had fuel line rated for alcohol and gas contact, I bought 4ft to replace that in the tank. I think I can source the balance line while I have it apart this weekend.

Thanks for the pictures, I'll see if I can get any from inside and share them. I also have an Orliker clamp kit to replace everything.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey, N41EF,

If you let the big "O-ring" (see Chris Canning's pic #3 above) sit for a while in a warm place (summertime in the sun on a black roof type warm place) for a few hours, it will out-gas and return to normal size to be reused. Have done mine several times. Maybe on the top of the water heater overnight would work in the winter.

I purchased a fuel filter and hose kit from BBY and it came with 2 small, "ribbed", flex black plastic lines (look kinda like giant water bottle straws) for the overflow and vent line replacements. I used instead, the yellow Tygon fuel line (used on chainsaws) for my vent and overflow. It's very stretchy like a rubber band and allowed me to work the pump/filter/hose assy back into the tank without a lot of slack in the tubing.

Last edited by Lowndes; 01-11-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If the OP has never done such before the biggest hassle is getting the pump in and out of the tank,it has to be mm perfect otherwise it will seem impossible.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 01-12-2018, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: