Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swen1200 View Post
Headed to the local BMW shop in Santa Fe next Tuesday for an evaluation of the damage, the Progeressive motorcycle adjuster will visit the bike there.

The weather forecast is good and will have plenty of opportunities to put the bike through itís paces and check if things arenít right.

Wonít let Progressive bully me around, they need to make everything whole again!

Will let you all know how it goes...
The issue really will be the finding of any replacement parts. I think you could start that search yourself by calling various dealers.

This, to me, is the intersection of the "Just ride it" group and the "It's special, I'd never let out of my sight" group. But, on the other hand, stuff happens, and even if you were standing right there, she would have backed into it anyway and you couldn't have stopped her. I was in the Maverick gas station a month ago and we all watched a lady just throw her pickup in reverse and back out of a spot... right into a little Subaru. The pickup ate the little Subaru's front end for lunch.

Didn't know anyone was named Swen down in New Mexico...
Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Bought the bike too ride and with over 15K itís no longer a virgin.

The parts guy in Santa Fe is magic, if all else fails can put out an urgent plea here!

The further away from the event the less angry I become, until I recall some of the things the woman said. ďIf your bikeís so rare maybe you should park it somewhere else.Ē

Might be the only Swen in Taos, know of a Wolfgang! A transplant from the Ballard neighborhood in Seattle...
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

So sad to see that happen to such a beautiful bike.
If they don't total it make sure to get depreciation compensation from the insurance as well. Sorry to say, I wouldn't pay full price knowing the history. Since it is a rare bike you night be able to fight to not be totalled no matter the cost if you wanted.

Hope it all works out. It is amazing how oblivious people can be while in their vehicles.
Matt
Old 03-30-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteRacer View Post
It is amazing how oblivious people can be while in their vehicles.
Matt
Guilty.

I had an episode where I didn't see a car beside me to my left, turned my head
right to look as I was backing into traffic, turned the wheel to the right and had
the left front end of my car hit the person parked on my left and slightly behind.
I had thought they had already pulled out and I did look left but... just not good enough because I still didn't see them.

The car I was driving was a rental with a horrible blind spot but I should have
looked more carefully.

It happens, but I fail to see the point in arguing about it afterwards when
blatantly in the wrong. What can you do besides apologize and reassure that you
have insurance?
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 03-30-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Insult to injury! Was reading the police blotter in the local paper and there it was, the (fill in the blank) left the scene and called the police because I was belligerent!

Went to the PD, no report was taken, they listened and left. The nice thing is she admitted to them that she backed into my bike. Feels like she was trying to get me in trouble.

Anyway, by this time next week I should know what her insurance company is going to do, depreciation compensation, thanks I’m gonna ask!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I just went through this process with a car. To get diminished value compensation you will need to prove that the bike will be worth less when it comes time to sell it. They will NOT just take your word for it. As such, there are independent services that will create a diminished value report for you, at a cost. My insurance agent sent me a couple links to companies here in CA. Not sure if they do motorcycles.

https://diminishedvalueexpert.com/category/california-diminished-value/

https://www.collisionclaims.com/california-diminished-value/

As for adjusting mirrors to reduce the blind spot...

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots
Old 03-30-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Insult to injury! Was reading the police blotter in the local paper and there it was, the (fill in the blank) left the scene and called the police because I was belligerent!

Went to the PD, no report was taken, they listened and left. The nice thing is she admitted to them that she backed into my bike. Feels like she was trying to get me in trouble.

Anyway, by this time next week I should know what her insurance company is going to do, depreciation compensation, thanks Iím gonna ask!
Many people nowadays will not accept blame or assume responsibility for their bad behavior or negligence. Let's face it, you're responsible for her lack of driving skill! She has likely done similar before and will likely do similar again.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I moved to NM from the Balto/DC area. I thought driving there was bad, drivers are worse here I hate to say, sorry man...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
el Cheapo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzerbee View Post
Let's face it, you're responsible for her lack of driving skill! She has likely done similar before and will likely do similar again.
May not be the lack of driving skill, but certain the lack of attention.. whether it be not looking at where they are going or trying to do too many things at once. It's too common of a problem with people glued to their cell phones all the time.. whether it be walking or driving..

Not meant to get off topic, on the same token of people not willing to take responsibility; there was a recent pedestrian casualty involving autonomous SUV. From the video footage of the accident, seems that the pedestrian was not looking for oncoming traffic while crossing the street before getting hit; it was dark, lighting was poor, likely accident would have occurred even with human driver. Yet, the ban against all autonomous vehicle were put in place, I guess autonomous vehicles can not learn about stupid human behaviors any further to avoid future accidents, it's a shame.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Not meant to get off topic, on the same token of people not willing to take responsibility; there was a recent pedestrian casualty involving autonomous SUV. From the video footage of the accident, seems that the pedestrian was not looking for oncoming traffic while crossing the street before getting hit; it was dark, lighting was poor, likely accident would have occurred even with human driver. Yet, the ban against all autonomous vehicle were put in place, I guess autonomous vehicles can not learn about stupid human behaviors any further to avoid future accidents, it's a shame.
You know, back in 1984, Sarah Connor tired to warn us about Terminators and no one would listen... they came to kill us... turns out they are actually disguised as vehicles and take the unaware first.

-Something to think about
Old 03-31-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
May not be the lack of driving skill, but certain the lack of attention.. whether it be not looking at where they are going or trying to do too many things at once. It's too common of a problem with people glued to their cell phones all the time.. whether it be walking or driving..

I would place inattention and driving skill under the same umbrella. Whether it is a cell phone distraction or some other distraction, it still falls under lack of driving skill. Skillful driving requires one's undivided attention. It is called driving not texting, doing one's hair, etcetera.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Insult to injury! ... Anyway, by this time next week I should know what her insurance company is going to do...
If there's any justice in the cosmos, her premium will go up until she's paid back the equivalent of your repair, and maybe a little extra for pain and suffering.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Update...
Itís all being repaired at Santa Fe BMW Motorrad with genuine BMW Parts. Best guess is two weeks to amass all the parts, most coming from Germany, and put things back together.
The parts I worried about most, the CF bits have already arrived.
Life is good although the whole event raises my ire...
Old 04-12-2018, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rocking good news! Great to know. Got mine out today for the commute to work and home...... whatabike!

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Great news...on OP insurance I hope!
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
Old 04-12-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Oh yeah Progressive Insurance is paying for EVERYTHING!!!
Old 04-12-2018, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Sure you're aware of this but just in case...

Don't throw away the replaced items. As you know, the prod. run was very limited, parts could conceivably become NLA in the near to mid future.

Alarming how many R1200S parts are now NLA, including painted bodywork parts (other than candy-stripe), front wheels, right-side sport luggage case and more...

Last edited by Mark R 1200 S; 04-12-2018 at 11:44 PM..
Old 04-12-2018, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Mark is right. You have the right to have all your old parts back. Best to let the shop know as soon as possible before they start replacing them. Glad to hear Progressive stepped up.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Thanks guys,
The shop has always intended to return all the damaged parts to me! Figure I can repair most everything and have a set of spares!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

If the new parts are paid for by the insurance company, then the old parts belong to them. It’s not unheard of for the insurance company to tell the dealership to dispose of them as they see fit tho, but I have seen insurance not pay when a dealership threw out the old parts without getting authorization in advance.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: