Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HP2 Sport 096 is Down

Went to the post office today, parked as far away from everyone as usual, while inside a woman backed into the bike toppling it onto its right side. She backed up straight over 90 feet to hit 096.

The bike is no virgin and the damage is minimal, repair and repaint the seat valence, replace the mirror, barend, brake handle, a LED turn signal and a few other small pieces. The damage that’s worries me the most is to the right side CF valve cover and the CF rear turn signal mount. Both can be repaired but they won’t be “as new”.

I yelled, twice, she got pissy, at least she has insurance...

DAMN

Old 03-26-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
: Sorry to hear that!
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
Old 03-26-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I feel for you Brother. Make sure her insurance pays full damages. If you have a local BMW dealer, have them do a write up for the parts that were damaged.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Waiting for a call back from the woman’s insurance, willdemand it goes to Santa Fe BMW for an estimate! They know me and the bike!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Wait 'til she gets the estimate, she'll wish she hit a Maserrati.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
04 R1100S

Damn shame. Yes, definitely go to a dealer for the write up of the parts and labor. Bloody blind peeps! I always try to park(my car too), where there's no one around, but invariably some twitt has to park right next top me! lol..
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
That sucks. Depending on how the repairs are written up it may become a total loss... so if they say that tail section can't be repaired/repainted, but can only be replaced, it alone is $5000.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
el Cheapo

Garage
I see scratches on that exhaust.. that's another $5k.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I see you

are those oil spots yours?

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-27-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hopefully, BMW has some NOS valve covers. I hit up Sandbar Composites for a set late last year and bought two of the last he had available. He could not source new ones anymore and sold me two used ones in excellent condition.

It's vital that you get the right gasket for the valve cover you end up with. Their are two different part numbers for the valve covers and the gasket you will require depends on the valve cover part #. They are not interchangeable, and you will get oil leaks if you use the wrong one. Ask how I know.

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 03-27-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
That's terrible.

Picking the right parking spot is as unpredictable as choosing the right urinal.

'07 DRZ-400s
Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Buy it back if they decide to write it off. You can use RT rocker covers and get the signal repaired.

Good luck and sorry to see this!

Cheers
Old 03-27-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I parked the bike away from everyone, or so I thought, woman had to back up over 50 feet to hit me! She asked me if I’d ever heard of a blind spot, I replied by asking her if she’d ever heard of one. The conversation went downhill from there! Thankfully the oil spots are from someone else.

Already in contact with her insurance company and have arranged for the adjuster to view the bike at Santa Fe BMW Motorcycle. Mo the parts guy there is already searching for parts.

If everything is available somewhere between $2500 and $3000 for parts alone. The seat pan can be repaired, thank God.

ABSOLUTELY if they total the bike, I will buy it back and fix it myself!

Thanks everyone for you sympathy, humor and advise it’s taken some of the sting out.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
el Cheapo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swen1200 View Post
She asked me if I’d ever heard of a blind spot, I replied by asking her if she’d ever heard of one.
That why you have a neck to turn your head to eliminate blind spots.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hey guys, take it easy on the lady driver please.
She may have been updating her Facebook page or doing her hair/make up ...
Being serious again, sorry your p&j got damaged swen. Sadly there are too many people out there driving that should never be behind the steering wheel.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
el Cheapo

Garage
Like that lady that got hit by autonomous Uber SUV? crossing the street without looking both ways for oncoming traffic and gets killed?

What happened to taking personal responsibility? everybody is sue happy for mistakes they make themselves?

This is why we can't have nice things.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

What is the insurance company? You might be better off totaling the bike and then buying it back. This way you can collect most $$. If you start being nice to insurance company the will only take advantage of you - their SOLE objective is to minimize $$ they have lay out. Don't take any crap from them - if you open the 'repair' door they will try to repair everything and since repair hours are judgement calls they will give you as little as possible. Instead of being sorry, the cager started off by making excuses and attacking you. F her! I'd like to see how she would behave if someone bumped her truck or ripped up her grass or...Good luck!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Can you drive the bike? If so does it pull to one side or the other? Do the wheels lay the same track when going straight ahead? Pulling to one side would mean that the frame is bent (twisted such that the axis of steer bearings is no longer mutually perpendicular one or more of the wheel axes.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

That's painful to look at. This is why my HP2 is never more than 50' away from me or a riding buddy when we stop. We actually take turns going into a store at the gas stations for food and a bio break so someone can stay with the bikes. Parking at work is for the Harley and the R1100S....and we even have a designated parking area for motorcycles that is protected on all 4 sides. Still, no go with the HP2. Attracts too much attention.

I won't even leave a motorcycle outside of my garage and if I need to, I leave them hidden behind my pickup truck so they can't be seen from the road.

In any case. I'm really sorry Swen, you will get it sorted out. Use another bike for work duty though. Check eBay, there are some CF fairings and a tail section for sale at less than OEM and they appear to be OEM. Why should you have them fixed, this was not your fault. The bimbo needs to replace them.
00' Harley Fatboy

Last edited by maverickma; 03-29-2018 at 04:48 AM..
Old 03-29-2018, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Headed to the local BMW shop in Santa Fe next Tuesday for an evaluation of the damage, the Progeressive motorcycle adjuster will visit the bike there.

The weather forecast is good and will have plenty of opportunities to put the bike through it’s paces and check if things aren’t right.

Won’t let Progressive bully me around, they need to make everything whole again!

Will let you all know how it goes...
Old 03-29-2018, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: