Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel filter

Got a '99 and as I was changing the fuel filter I noticed the "sock" on the intake side was open at the bottom. Cant't find the part anywhere. Any thoughts about repair or should I just ignore it?
Old 04-01-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

My local O'reillys has an assortment for various auto applications. You could take it to your local auto parts store and see if they can get you one that will work. It keeps chunks of stuff out of the pump so the vanes don't get damaged.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

there is one on Ebay for 39.99. OEM new in package.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I ended up cutting up some stainless steel strips and "stapling" it together. Not pretty but functional.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Trundle,

Is your tank still disassembled? If so, you might consider relocating the in line metal fuel filter located inside the tank to outside. There should be a few threads on our forum detailing the procedure.

I moved mine many years ago - mounted vertically on the right side of the frame adjacent to the steering tube. Very convenient to inspect and change.

Pete
Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Care to post a photo of the mount location?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

EME has the socks:

BOSCH - BMW K & R Fuel Screen Sock
Old 04-03-2018, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Beemer Boneyard also has them, along with other things: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r81111r1fupu.html

If you still have the rubber hoses in there I highly recommend changing them, as the tight kink causes them to leak eventually.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminspaaace View Post
Beemer Boneyard also has them, along with other things: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r81111r1fupu.html

If you still have the rubber hoses in there I highly recommend changing them, as the tight kink causes them to leak eventually.
+1 on the internal hoses (ALL of them), filter, and sock. And use the Oetiker clamps, not the screw type. AMHIK.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Care to post a photo of the mount location?
mo...
Sorry for the delay - family health issues.

My 3rd party sharing feature (Photobucket) is no longer active. If you shoot me a PM with your email address, I'll gladly send you some photos.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: