Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to 718Rider Send a message via Yahoo to 718Rider Send a message via Skype™ to 718Rider
R12S Cylinder Cover Replacement (Help Needed)

Guys -

Haven't been on the board for a while, but I had a minor spill on my '07 R1200S about a 2 months ago. Hit some black ice in NYC and slid down 10th ave. Ground down the left cylinder head cover pretty well and found a replacement on eBay that I have in hand.

I'd love to be able to change it out myself, but have never attempted this on the bike before and wanted to ask for some advice - I'm a little gunshy.

- Do I need to replace the gasket as well or can I reuse the gasket on the existing cover?
- Any tips on how to do this?
- Thoughts on if I should even attempt it?
- Any risk to riding with the ground down existing cover?

I've been riding for 20 yrs. - but a total noob when it comes to doing anything requiring wrenching...but need to save some $...

Tom
Old 04-13-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There are two gaskets and four rubber grommets. Outer gasket, inner gasket where the spark plug hole is and four grommets where the retaining bolts go through.

If the rocker cover is not leaking, you would not really have to replace it as it will be only cosmetic damage. You should already see signs of oil if you have a leak.

If it's leaking, replace it. You will get some oil draining out of the rocker cover once you remove it, so be prepared with a drip pan underneath the rocker.

Old gaskets can be reused and be careful of the inner one when installing the cover.

I would use the old gaskets first and see if you get a leak.

This is an easy job.....you just need a Torx wrench of the correct size and I usually torque the bolts to spec when installing.

Sorry, I can't remember the size or the torque spec at the moment.

Might have time to get to the shop later and get that info for you if someone else doesn't list them.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2018, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If the cover has not been penetrated, not leaking oil and still runs normally there should be no issue to continue using it other than aesthetics. It’s not a hard job but only attemp it if you have the correct tools.

Gaskets are reusable until they harden to a point they become at risk of leaking. Just reuse it and see, I haven’t replaced mine yet and I have them off every year since purchased.

After unclipping the plastic stick coil cover (fingernail behind the back where the ignition lead enters) use the bmw supplied plastic stick coil remover (in your tool kit) to remove the stick coil & let hang. Undo the 4 torx head screws & remove the cover (be prepared with oil tray for small oil loss ... half a cup) gasket & rubber seal around the spark plug oriface. Inspect seal and gasket for damage.
Wipe surfaces clean & seal & gasket of any oil and replace all in reverse order, noting torx screws are snugged down firm BUT don’t over tighten ... they also have a flange on the screw as a limit-stop anyway BUT firm is enough to hold a seal. If that ends up being against the stops, so be it.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk
Old 04-13-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Check the bolts that hold the valve cover (cylinder head cover) on. They bend easily in
a spill and if they're bent too for you will need to replace them.

Since it is the left cylinder, you will get a little more oil coming out (vs right) when you
remove it unless you have a center stand. Nothing really significant but just be ready
for it.

Think about getting guards. They can work very well for spills like this and if you are
already working on the bike it would be a good time to add them.
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 04-13-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 718Rider Send a message via Yahoo to 718Rider Send a message via Skype™ to 718Rider
THANK YOU all for the comments - super helpful. I had guards - but one ground through. Doesn't look like I'm leaking any oil - and it's just an aestheic thing - so think it makes sense to leave well enough alone for now. Will keep an eye to see if oil leaks though.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: