Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wiggledbits
System Cases How Screwed Am I?

I have a system case (with city lids) that is locked down as in the release lever is all the way down. The key will go in but not unlock it making the little hole to release the lock impossible to get at. What other options do I have to pop this lock out or have I not tried hard enough to release the lock?

<--- RIP Sam. You were a good friend and one of the best dogs I had the pleasure of sharing my time with.

Last edited by wiggledbits; 04-22-2018 at 06:22 PM..
Old 04-22-2018, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Apparently pretty screwed if this collective has no input. Just want to avoid a lock smith etc...
Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is the case open or closed? You can try removing the key and squirting a little WD or something inside to let it soak. I took all of the latched off a K bike for repaint, but didn't pull the cylinders out.

By release lever you mean the one holding the case closed or the case on?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I suspect what may have happened is the orange tab which locks the bag on to the rack may have become a little bent? This makes it lock and unlock with undue effort...I had a similar issue, and ended up getting it open (used force turning key).
However, your results may vary...my advice is not guaranteed...proceed with caution.
Once it was open, I was able to bend the orange tab back into the proper shape...

Perhaps post a photo; so we can see which lever / handle is up, and which is down?
Also, I don't really know what is meant by "little hole to release the lock "?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N41EF View Post
Is the case open or closed? You can try removing the key and squirting a little WD or something inside to let it soak. I took all of the latched off a K bike for repaint, but didn't pull the cylinders out.

By release lever you mean the one holding the case closed or the case on?
Been lubed for a couple of days.
Yes, I mean the one that flips out the orange tab and blocks the access hole to release the cylinders into the case.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosearch View Post
I suspect what may have happened is the orange tab which locks the bag on to the rack may have become a little bent? This makes it lock and unlock with undue effort...I had a similar issue, and ended up getting it open (used force turning key).
However, your results may vary...my advice is not guaranteed...proceed with caution.
Once it was open, I was able to bend the orange tab back into the proper shape...

Perhaps post a photo; so we can see which lever / handle is up, and which is down?
Also, I don't really know what is meant by "little hole to release the lock "?
No, tab isn't bent. I am new to these cases, my airhead cases are simpler, so simple they open on their own if you don't strap them. This is the thin handled shaped lever that opens the case. Once the case is locked you can't pull it up to open the case and when down it blocks at least easy access to the to the hole that you can use a allen wrench to pop the little clip that hold the lock cylinder in the case.

I'm gonna try some more with tools to release the lock cylinder but wondering if the orange locking part blocks all hope of releasing it.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited by wiggledbits; 04-23-2018 at 06:00 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggledbits View Post

<--- RIP Sam. You were a good friend and one of the best dogs I had the pleasure of sharing my time with.
Sorry man.
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggledbits View Post
No, tab isn't bent. I am new to these cases, ....
When you say you're new to the cases did they not come with the bike?
Is there a possibility they're keyed differently side to side and to the ignition?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I assume the case is locked on to the bike carrier-rack? If not, I'd simply take it to a good locksmith and have her pick the lock...
Trudy at Key Craft on Church Street in San Francisco was able to match my case cylinders with the seat and ignition...I'd bet she could resolve your issue...Portland probably has a good locksmith as well.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Are you able to turn the key and lock or unlock the bags? I am still trying to understand but here is the way they work in stock form.

Bag is locked on bike and the key is out-neither handle will come up.
Key in bag and turned to unlock the bag-you should be able to lift both handles.
The first(top) handle releases the bag from the rack and acts as a carrying handle.
The second(bottom) handle just releases the lid.

You are correct, you can not open the lid if the key is in the locked position(orange tab showing).
Old 04-24-2018, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosearch View Post
I assume the case is locked on to the bike carrier-rack? If not, I'd simply take it to a good locksmith and have her pick the lock...
Trudy at Key Craft on Church Street in San Francisco was able to match my case cylinders with the seat and ignition...I'd bet she could resolve your issue...Portland probably has a good locksmith as well.
Sad to say Trudy retired some time back.

BTW close-up pics would aid in fully ascertaining the problem.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

has your key ever worked in this bag? if so, how many keys do you have? the locks can be re coded with new little bits, or even by rearranging the ones you have, and sometimes one or two can just be left out, resulting in a working but sloppy lock mechanism. meaning to say, try a different key, and also try wiggling it.(pun intended)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMiker View Post
Sorry man.
Thanks. He was closer to me than many family members. Dogs are special beings IMO.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
Are you able to turn the key and lock or unlock the bags? I am still trying to understand but here is the way they work in stock form.

Bag is locked on bike and the key is out-neither handle will come up.
Key in bag and turned to unlock the bag-you should be able to lift both handles.
The first(top) handle releases the bag from the rack and acts as a carrying handle.
The second(bottom) handle just releases the lid.

You are correct, you can not open the lid if the key is in the locked position(orange tab showing).
Sorry been away for work and very tied up with that. Next year I retire... I hope!

No they are not on the bike. With them locked the orange tab has a part that wraps around the lock cylinder as well as block the hole that you can access to release the cylinder so popping it out to have appears to be designed out. Makes sense. The key unlocks one but not the other. Looks like a locksmith is what I will have to do. I bought them used for a very good price I thought and they are in great like new condition so some extra won't hurt too bad.
I'll fiddle with it some more though.

This is what I am talking about popping the cylinder out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU8v6z77lH4

Last edited by wiggledbits; 04-30-2018 at 07:52 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

You said the orange tab is not bent but how can you tell if you can't unlock and open the bag? The tab is shaped like a flag. If it is in the locked position but the top(big) handle is up and then someone tries to close the top handle, it will bend the flag. The lid side edge of the flag is unsupported and bents down. It doesn't take much and after that it will catch on the case keeping the flag from swinging around into the case and unlocking.

The edge the gets bent down-

You will need a small screwdriver or pick-

Slide in and lift the case side edge of the flag while trying to unlock the bag-

Good luck Mr. Bits
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Exactly as I was failing to describe clearly. I'd probably spray a little silicone lube in there too; just for good luck.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I'll give it a try once I get home. Wish I could say I was out on a ride but no.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: