Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brent

Garage
yeah iterlocks should be good
I would still squirt some fuel into the intakes of the throttle bodies,
any time I have had this level of functionality and it wouldnt start it was a fuel problem
that way you know if it fires it is fuel.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

If you have fuel and ignition.. there has to be at least a misfire... starter fluid to see if it ignites.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I like to use ether to tough starts...if it pops, you have ignition but probably no fuel, then check fuses and connections (fuel and electrical).

I had this happen to me once where I had a lot apart and then after I put it together and it wouldn't start. Did everything, turned out to be a fried Motronic I must have zapped while apart. If you have a motronic numuber, I might have a spare you can try...I have several...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Kill switch??
Old 05-03-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Kill switch or flooded.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
Kill switch??
LOL...done this, should have thought of it...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Twin Thumper, IYKWIM

Garage
Got it running! Sadly, I can’t say for sure what the problem was, cause I kinda had to address all possibilities before putting it back together and trying to start it. But the prime suspects were:

1. That one broken wire on the fuel pump electrical connector. While the pump was working fine, perhaps the level sender signal is required for the motronic to allow proper running conditions. The wiring diagram doesn’t seem to bear this theory out, but wtf do I know?

2. Part of my project while I had the bike apart was to de-pin all the major wiring bundles and replace the old/cracked/missing heatshrink with fresh new protection. That includes de-pinning the massive connectors for ABS and Motronic. I had taken meticulous notes, but still run into a questionable snag partway through, and ultimately quadruple-checked every wire in its place to make sure I hadn’t effed up. Anyway, I took the whole Motronic plug apart again, quintuple-checked everything (nothing seemed amiss), and while I was in there I ran auxiliary wires from pin 18 (Motronic) and pin 21 (ABS) to use for diagnostic blink codes; put heatshrink on that too, and ran it back toward the diagnostic plug under the seat. Gonna build myself a home-brew diagnostic/reset box for future troubleshooting.

Anyway. My money is on the fuel pump plug being the culprit, but I can’t say for sure.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
pretty certain the missing fuel level wire was not the problem,
just as likely a pin not fully set into the housing,
also the little locking tabs on the contacts can get bent in removal and not
hold the contact in position when you plug it in,
pretty ambitious to do all of that to replace the bad bundle covers.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Twin Thumper, IYKWIM

Garage
Yeah, I also checked all pins to ensure they were seated properly before I pulled it all apart (the pink retainer clips are a failsafe for exactly this problem), and made sure the plug seated snugly to the ECU. Checked all the barbs on all the pins when I had it apart again, and none were terribly beat up or flattened.

\_(ツ)_/

Totally could’ve been that. I wouldn’t be surprised. My un-founded guess was, the Hall sensor wasn’t getting proper communication to the ECU, so you’re probably right.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: