Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Owner of an Ultra Low-Mileage Bike

Hello all,

I am finalizing the purchase of an ultra low-mileage 2007 R1200S, 1750 miles to be exact. The owner has been very forthcoming with details regarding service including receipts. Fluids were not always routinely changed yearly seeing as he viewed it as a bit of a sunk cost. The bike was just serviced at a dealership about 2 months ago and according to him they gave it the thumbs up. Is there any recommended maintenance I should catch it up on. I'm inclined to replace the brake fluid, should I replace the final drive and transmission oil as well? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I'd be more worried about old fuel than old FD or Trans fluid. Definitely get the brake fluid flushed.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by windupbird View Post
Hello all,

I am finalizing the purchase of an ultra low-mileage 2007 R1200S, 1750 miles to be exact. The owner has been very forthcoming with details regarding service including receipts. Fluids were not always routinely changed yearly seeing as he viewed it as a bit of a sunk cost. The bike was just serviced at a dealership about 2 months ago and according to him they gave it the thumbs up. Is there any recommended maintenance I should catch it up on. I'm inclined to replace the brake fluid, should I replace the final drive and transmission oil as well? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Tires. If those are original tires change them and the valve stem.
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm hoping there aren't any issues with the fuel/fuel tank. The bike has been ridden 161 miles between the service in 2013 and the recent one a few months back. I would imagine doing my own oil changes on this motor will be a relatively easy task? Are there any specialized tools I will need?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMiker View Post
Tires. If those are original tires change them and the valve stem.
The owner just installed a new set of Michelin Power RS tires when the bike was serviced a few months ago so thankfully that's one expense out of the way!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I guess I'd ask what is meant by serviced?
What was done per the record.

What color? By the way, in the United States there were only year 2007 R1200S bikes sold. Black, tellow, silver, and red/silver.

Does it come with the factory Ohlins?

Sounds like a great find!
Old 05-08-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Youíll find service schedules here https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules
which should guide you.
Iíd still be REALLY concerned about fuel being off. Check it doesnít have a pungent smell & get fresh fuel in ASAP.
Engine oil changes are simple & you will need a filter adapter, which are cheap.
Changing transmission & FD oil would be precautionary imo, 75W95 Full Syn, eg. Castrol Syntrax Longlife. Not always easily sourced. I have only found it at my local BMW dealer.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk
Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
I guess I'd ask what is meant by serviced?
What was done per the record.

What color? By the way, in the United States there were only year 2007 R1200S bikes sold. Black, tellow, silver, and red/silver.

Does it come with the factory Ohlins?

Sounds like a great find!
I'm waiting on a copy of the last service to be sent over tonight, I'm imagine an oil change and general inspection. The dealership fixed the outstanding recall for the rear wheel flange. The bike is red/silver two-tone, Ohlins, 190 rear tire, heated grips, and ABS
Old 05-08-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by windupbird View Post
I'm waiting on a copy of the last service to be sent over tonight, I'm imagine an oil change and general inspection. The dealership fixed the outstanding recall for the rear wheel flange. The bike is red/silver two-tone, Ohlins, 190 rear tire, heated grips, and ABS
Red/silver two tone? Candy cane is a term sometimes employed for that color combo.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
There is a user on here RIQUE. He got somewhat of a "barn-find" R1200s and had a few issues to iron out. I think it may have been an roofless barn with no walls.....

I haven't seen him on here lately but I don't think he'd mind a private message to contact him. Or search his posts.... it's in here somewhere....
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 05-08-2018, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzerbee View Post
Red/silver two tone? Candy cane is a term sometimes employed for that color combo.
Yup, it's the candy cane colorway.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

"Changing transmission & FD oil would be precautionary imo, 75W95 Full Syn, eg. Castrol Syntrax Longlife. Not always easily sourced. I have only found it at my local BMW dealer."

Justcrusing,

I found the Castrol Syntrax on Amazon for $23. No local sources, tho.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruising View Post
Youíll find service schedules here https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules
which should guide you.
Iíd still be REALLY concerned about fuel being off. Check it doesnít have a pungent smell & get fresh fuel in ASAP.
Engine oil changes are simple & you will need a filter adapter, which are cheap.
Changing transmission & FD oil would be precautionary imo, 75W95 Full Syn, eg. Castrol Syntrax Longlife. Not always easily sourced. I have only found it at my local BMW dealer.
Thanks for the recommendations, it's very much appreciated. I'm still awaiting delivery so I'll see what I have on my hands when it arrives.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
...wasn't me...

Flange recalls, alternator belt etc

There were couple of recalls to be performed on the all 07 R12Ss - fuel pump flange as well as rear wheel flange (which rear wheel mounts to). Make sure dealer runs VIN# and both recalls are performed...

Beside tires and main fluids, check the alternator belt - it's mileage or age related replacement item. Depending on where/how the bike is stored, you may need to take care of that too due to age rather than mileage...

As you get to final drive oil change (180ml), you can use the opportunity to drop down final drive, inspect the splines and use Honda Moly 60/77 or equivalent to lube the splines too...

Otherwise, good luck w new bike and make up the mileage original owner was missing on putting... As old saying goes, they don't make 'em like that any more...

Old 05-08-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
"Changing transmission & FD oil would be precautionary imo, 75W95 Full Syn, eg. Castrol Syntrax Longlife. Not always easily sourced. I have only found it at my local BMW dealer."

Justcrusing,

I found the Castrol Syntrax on Amazon for $23. No local sources, tho.
Thanks! Just need to ensure itís Castrol Syntrax LONGLIFE and not Castrol Syntrax Universal. I recall reading somewhere, the Longlife was specifically formulated for BMW. Cheers!

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruising View Post
Thanks! Just need to ensure itís Castrol Syntrax LONGLIFE and not Castrol Syntrax Universal. I recall reading somewhere, the Longlife was specifically formulated for BMW. Cheers!
Mine just says, "Advanced Performance Series". Nuthin about Universal or Long Life. ??
Old 05-08-2018, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Twin Thumper, IYKWIM

Garage
My biggest problem with this thread is that you HAVEN'T POSTED A PHOTO OF THE THING.
(yes I know we’ve all seen one. STILL.)
Old 05-08-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Change the fuel and the brake fluid. The rest should be ok if it was not in a very humid environment.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Welcome
Old 05-09-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Change all fluids, filters, alternator belt as per major service
Old 05-09-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
04 R1100S

Photos please....lol
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: