Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lennie's sprocket info

Thinking about a set of Lennie sprockets should they become available but here's an unusual request.

For my own purposes and just for something to do, is anyone equipped and capable of securing a compression waveform from a Lennie sprocket equipped engine? Or anyone within reasonable driving distance of Santa Barbara and I'll do it. Maybe Lennie already has one.

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by tm1100s; 05-18-2018 at 07:45 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

Send a message via AIM to signit98
I am in range... but Sergio is closer.

If I remember correctly, we put them into one of his bikes... not sure which one, though.

I do not, however have the equipment to produce the info you desire, Tony.
2005 R1200GS - 2007 Yamaha YZ250F - 2012 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, Ralf.

My equipment is portable. Might be worth a ride now that school's out.

I take it your 1200GS is sprocket equipped? I'd like to get an 1100 and a 1200 sample.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

hi TM,

I have not done this compression waveform data capture as I am not equipped to do so but would be interested in a before (stock) and after (Rocket Sprocket) result.

btw, it is Lennie

www.boxer-performance.com

1998 R1100S Yellow is the best (now departed from my life)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, Lennie, a before and after is exactly what I had in mind.

What's the availability of sprockets these days?

Tony
Old 05-18-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What is the equipment used to measure compression waveform data? Is this one of the piezo-electric spark plug washers to measure cylinder pressure? Is this the way designers design camshafts? I could see it in use to design pistons, squish areas.
'09 Husky TE450
Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hiya, Mike.

I use a pressure transducer screwed into a spark plug hole to send the signal to a digital storage O-scope. Works just like a compression gauge except it sends a signal to the scope instead of pressure to the meter. Measures volts instead of PSI.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

tm,

lots in stock. pm me as I can donate a set for this test.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Let me know if you want to test on my R1200GS. Ralf installed Lennie’s ‘rocket’ sprockets on them back in 2010 or 2011, can’t recall now. Bike is laid up at the moment awaiting new shoes.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Let me know if you want to test on my R1200GS. Ralf installed Lennie’s ‘rocket’ sprockets on them back in 2010 or 2011, can’t recall now. Bike is laid up at the moment awaiting new shoes.
Thanks, Sergio.

Just PM'd Lennie about some sprockets. I'll do the 'before' tests in the next few days and post them, then see what happens. If there's not the detail I'm hoping for then I won't waste any more time with it.

Tony
Old 05-19-2018, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Barback King

Huh, them bikes is old ain't they?....
Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Did some testing and there seems to be a little interest so this is what I came up with. I'll just post it here for whatever the interest is and also so Lennie can look and download but I'll send him the actual session in Picoscope format. I didn't get the detail I was looking for but this R1200S stock cam and gear should prove to be a good reading. Taken running on one cylinder just above idle. I couldn't get the R1100S to run on one cylinder even for a few seconds but I'll try it again tomorrow. The R1200S had very little problem running on only one. I marked up the waveform but rather than get longwinded right here, a better explanation is located at this site, with examples:

https://www.automotivetestsolutions.com/anatomy-of-the-compression-waveform.html

This is the actual running compression waveform. The area between the two peaks is one complete 720 degree four stroke cycle.

Other than the peaks at 'A' which is TDC compression stroke, the rest of the waveform is much flatter than the examples on the ATS website and from automobile engine. This test reads in-cylinder pressure. I suspect that because our bikes have virtually no intake manifold or at most a very small volume one between the throttle valve and the intake valves, and have very little exhaust backpressure to affect the in-cylinder pressures, almost the entire range of pressure readings is a little lower than auto engines. I'll try for better detail but this should actually have enough detail to see the differences in cam timing between stock and Lennie's changes. This was done with a Picoscope. Timing differences can be measured down to tenths of a degree. I also have access to that same equipment shown on the ATS site. It'll allow me to overlay the ignition and fuel injection operation on top of the valve timing data.

Sorry, I just find this stuff interesting. And, just for some other information, this particular test is becoming invaluable for diagnosing engine and variable cam timing issues with a lot of the new cars- flat cams, lifters, skipped/slipped belt tooth inline or bank-to-bank and even roller tappets found with a slightly out of round rollers causing misfires.

I'll post the Pico data file here later for Lennie and anyone else who wants to play with that using the Pico software.

The areas of interest are where the 180 degree line falls in reference to the exhaust valve opening (D-F) and the 360 TDC line falls in reference to the overlap (near G-H).

Last edited by tm1100s; 05-23-2018 at 06:41 AM..
Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

While all this stuff is cool, informative, fun and interesting, the real proof is always in the pudding.

IMHO, Lennie's sprockets are where it's at for the 1100 and 1200 motors, really.

They just transformed my bikes to where I like(d) them MUCH more. BIG fan here...
Old 05-28-2018, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

signet,

I never paid you to say that

Old 05-29-2018, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I wanna Live 'til I die!

No, you didn't... every single person I helped with the installation, had the same thing to say, though.

This is the r12 motor as it should have been, but the EPA had their say...
Old 05-29-2018, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signit98 View Post
While all this stuff is cool, informative, fun and interesting, the real proof is always in the pudding....
Ralf, it is cool, informative and interesting, but not to most. I happen to like the hi-tech stuff and I have access to it. I knew the reports about the sprockets were excellent and I got to thinking about 'why', and having the time and tech, let's find out why. I'm interested in the timing and pressure changes that make that improvement and I'm counting on pinpointing that change and effect. Let's see what happens. I'm gonna order up some sprockets from Lennie today.

Lennie, look for the paypal shortly. Thanks. (just added: Done )

Last edited by tm1100s; 05-30-2018 at 05:55 AM..
Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I like BOTH parts of this and want to understand more. I've still got a set of Rocket Sprokets in the envelope they came in for my R11S. Got the Induct and SJ filter installed last year (it his the rev limiter so quick now it's scary) and keep thinking about the sprockets. Wanna do a dyno before and after.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1100s View Post
Did some testing and there seems to be a little interest so this is what I came up with. I'll just post it here for whatever the interest is and also so Lennie can look and download but I'll send him the actual session in Picoscope format. I didn't get the detail I was looking for but this R1200S stock cam and gear should prove to be a good reading. Taken running on one cylinder just above idle. I couldn't get the R1100S to run on one cylinder even for a few seconds but I'll try it again tomorrow. The R1200S had very little problem running on only one. I marked up the waveform but rather than get longwinded right here, a better explanation is located at this site, with examples:

https://www.automotivetestsolutions.com/anatomy-of-the-compression-waveform.html

This is the actual running compression waveform. The area between the two peaks is one complete 720 degree four stroke cycle.

Other than the peaks at 'A' which is TDC compression stroke, the rest of the waveform is much flatter than the examples on the ATS website and from automobile engine. This test reads in-cylinder pressure. I suspect that because our bikes have virtually no intake manifold or at most a very small volume one between the throttle valve and the intake valves, and have very little exhaust backpressure to affect the in-cylinder pressures, almost the entire range of pressure readings is a little lower than auto engines. I'll try for better detail but this should actually have enough detail to see the differences in cam timing between stock and Lennie's changes. This was done with a Picoscope. Timing differences can be measured down to tenths of a degree. I also have access to that same equipment shown on the ATS site. It'll allow me to overlay the ignition and fuel injection operation on top of the valve timing data.

Sorry, I just find this stuff interesting. And, just for some other information, this particular test is becoming invaluable for diagnosing engine and variable cam timing issues with a lot of the new cars- flat cams, lifters, skipped/slipped belt tooth inline or bank-to-bank and even roller tappets found with a slightly out of round rollers causing misfires.

I'll post the Pico data file here later for Lennie and anyone else who wants to play with that using the Pico software.

The areas of interest are where the 180 degree line falls in reference to the exhaust valve opening (D-F) and the 360 TDC line falls in reference to the overlap (near G-H).
Bravo! Great start. Looking forward to the next set of data.

What about measuring pressure in a cylinder that is firing, at least partly. Since these are twin spark cylinders you could run on one plug (although the effective ignition timing would be retarded due to the lack of the second flame front).
Old 05-31-2018, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Good question and I don't know how to answer that question or what the advantages would be. I forwarded that question to the experts and I'll let you know what they say.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Tm, One thing that would do is allow you to measure the timing and width of the combustion pressure peak which is much different in shape and well after TDC. In other words you’d get a close look at how the sprockets affected actual combustion.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: