Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R12S fuel pump peculiarity, at least to me

Apparently, the first time you start the bike after disconnecting the battery, the pump does not prime. I use the bike for touring only, so it sits for weeks w/o running. Between trips I installed another fused SAE connector for the battery tender. Leaving tomorrow on the next trip, so I wanted to top off the gas. Turned the key: no whirring, followed by the click. Went over to my other R12S, turned the key and it primed, as usual. I then went back to the first (non-priming) bike and it fired up immediately, but still not priming first. Got gas, returned home, turned the bike off, then turned the key back on: it primed.

I have disconnected the batteries on the bikes many times, but never actually noticed this before. You learn something new every day. Cheers. - K^2
'07 R1200S
Old 05-30-2018, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Think these read the pressure in the sys and run the pump when necessary.. so if there is no backstreaming of fuel thru the check valve in the pump.. then they don't whirr....
Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: