Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ohlins Compares HP2S and R12S Shocks

There has been much discussion on the R11S/R12S forum concerning the Ohlins shocks used on the R12S and the HP2S. I took it upon myself to call Ohlins USA in Hendersonville, NC and talk with one of their techs who has also spent about 7 years as the service manager for Touring Sport BMW/Ducati prior to working for Ohlins USA. Here's the long and the short of it.

The difference between the two front shocks is night and day. The R12S shock is a very basic emulsion type shock with minimal adjustment capability. The HP2S front shock in inverted gas reservoir shock which has excellent rebound and compression capabilities. The rear shocks are almost a dead heat. Therefore unless the R12S owner is willing to spring for an upgraded front shock, the R12S front suspension is not as good as the front suspension on the HP2S.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yeah, I caught the, um, vociferous debate a while back. Not sure why people get so worked up about this stuff. I figured the rears would be more or less the same, but it only takes a casual glance to see that the fron shock on the HP2 is of different quality (and it should be given the price).

Not having the ability to fiddle with the front end was the only complaint I can remember having with my R12s.

If I'm honest I think I actually prefered the look of my R. Granted beauty is a subjective thing, but the design seemed more balanced to me. Having said that I get one hella grin every time I pull the cover off the HP. I can spend half an hour with a coffee just going over all the different bits and pieces (Like how cool are those front calipers, I mean really?).

Such a beautiful province, so many a-holes.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: