Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I don't remember

S1000RR/suspension settings, lots of opinions given

Hi all,

well at a thouSand miles i felt that the suspension was broke in enough to actually set it and not have to mess with it to much.
I looked at what the Manuel suggested and did that. It was stiff and edgy so i softened the damping.
I then went looking for a different rear shock spring and call BMW of San Jose and I talked with Chirs . He said that the Manuel he felt was wrong for sag settings, they were to stiff. He said that he and Brian,(his rider for their race team) are running 30mm front and 35 back sag.
Now at this point i have to say that after 15 years dealing with Chris he has good information but sometimes it comes from cloudy reasoning but it still good information. I said thanks for the info and to bad BMW doesn't as yet make a spring but thanks for the tip that an ohlin spring may fit the sacks shock.
I then thought back to the old school reasoning of how sag was done before brands started telling us what its supposed to be.
The rule of thumb is that its 25% of the shock travel. That would mean the front would be 30mm and the rear 33mm.
So with that in mind the started looking at the Manuel. I looked at the rear shock sag adjustment and to me the Manuel could be wrong. It saying to turn the spanner ring clock wise to soften the preload. Turning it clock wise will tighten the shock and increase the preload.

anyway this has given me a head ache and i am going to take a break for a few days and deal with this Sunday evening.

Ta
jeff

PS Bunnies and eggs on easter were brought into that holiday in the middle ages to combine pagan renewal/ spring festivals with Christian holidays to bring in non believers for a chance to convert them. beside isn't chocolate proof that their is a god?
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
here are the specs for all the Ohlins springs Jeffie

Fast Bike Industries :: Questions and Resources :: Ohlins #1 Service Center
Old 04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I don't remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
here are the specs for all the Ohlins springs Jeffie

Fast Bike Industries :: Questions and Resources :: Ohlins #1 Service Center
Thanks my friend
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just spent a few days at Ohlins HQ, learning from their head roadrace tech, and comparing notes with other regional S1000RR tuners/fielders. Was nice with everyone sharing info pretty freely, as none of us are really competing against each other, but rather against other marques and riders in our respective regions/series.

Saw that everyone is experiencing the same issues and have set out on mostly similar directions to address them. Was nice to have some of my solutions and planned directions confirmed.

Compared to most, I have my hands tied a bit more, as my rider is using the same bike for superstock and superbike and F1, so I have to make do and run closer to stock.

more later...

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Also interesting, is that Ohlins themselves now recommend more spring (which I'd already done independently) and more valving, especially rebound, which is exactly what I've done with stock shocks (though the Sachs is VERY limited in this regards) and wanted to do with the Ohlins TTX we started using. Just now putting extra tools (a pretty big investment) into place to be able to service and tune TTX trackside, so we should have better options this year, even though we'll be stuck with the stock triples for Superstock compliance.

Ohlins has definitely changed their valvestack, pretty significantly, so if any owners have had their TTXs a while, they might want to consider getting them serviced/tuned/updated. Lots of changes have happened.

Also look forward in our particular case to getting some upgraded fork internals. We ran the stock Sach and it definitely hurt us. Still made the podium some, but really left our rider working too hard to make it happen. We'll be stuck with the stock tubes (again, the stupid superstock stuff) which are VERY flexy (crazy thin walls, maybe made from lightly processed beercans). Still, the internals will help with damping, if not rigidity.

Going to be a fun year doing more with the S1000RR , and the latest spec TTX, and maybe NIX in general. Look forward to seeing more of them in action everywhere.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: