Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
S1000RR Rider!!!

HP2 Sport Vs. S1000RR, who is #1?

The question was stated in another thread so here is a new thread devoted to this discussion.

"For those of you who have seen and ridden the S1000rr as sexy as they look, my personal impression is that the quality of build is just not the same as the K or HP bikes. Thoughts?"

I got my S1000RR on friday last week, but got only 31Km out of it before it got stuck in third gear. (see other thread)

So hence some may think that, - ok.. that settles it, the S1000RR isn't a quality bike!

But the time spent riding the bike was enough to get a first impression.

I LOOOVE the HP2 Sport, and I genuinly think it has a better setup with the telelever and shaft-drive. But this discussion shouldn't be about that!

Let's first face the facts that the HP2 Sport isn't built as a sprint bike like the S1000RR, but as a long distance racer. Therefore, stuff like telelever and shaft drive isn't relevant, neither is the top speed, amount of break hp and torque and so on.

We don't compare the HP2 sport with the HP2 Enduro, do we?

My first impression of the S1000RR is: - It's a BMW, I've ridden this bike before!
Everything is familiar, even though BMW never built anything like it before.

The second thing I noticed was that the S1000RR screamed: - I want corners, I want twisties!
Not like it felt unstable, but just soo easy to flick from side to side. I think this mainly is due to the shorter wheelbase, and that the HP2S with it's longer wheelbase has an disadvantage. However, the HP2S is notably easier to flick from side to side while giving throttle!

While riding the S1000RR I got the same notion of quality as the HP2S, but the S1000RR felt more comfortable, and the suspension softer.
Mind you that I rode it with the settings from the factory, and when I'm done, it will feel much harder and focused.

My first ride with the HP2S felt much more "race" focused with stiffer suspension and feedback from the bike. As I said, this was not the case with the S1000RR.

The feel from the breaks seem to be very much the same. They have that feel of wanting to stop as soon as possible, and two fingers on the lever is all you need. This goes for both bikes.

The two bikes are very similar i quality feel. They feel BMW. The HP2S is more or less handbuilt and threrfore in another legue. But still, the S1000RR is what you should expect from a "jap-style i-4" and then some.

In short, the S1000RR is a jap bike with that BMW feel to it!

When comparing these two bikes I can't stop thinking that the S1000RR is a bit beige compared to the HP2S.

The HP2S is such a unique bike. The superb flat-twin - Boxer engine with it's lovely sound, and those pop-ing sounds when shifting gear, makes the whole experience.

The S1000RR doesn't have that. So it will not stand out, among non-bikers or non initiated, as the HP2S does. Everybody notice an HP2S, due to it's uniquness. The S1000RR is just another i-4.

So which is #1?
As alway's it's in the eye of the beholder.
If you want faster, quicker, hightech-ier... the S1000RR is the best of the best!!!

But if you're looking for a unique bike, that WILL be among the classics like the RC30 and so on. The HP2S is the bike for you!

Motto: You win some, and you loose some... you can't loose 'em all!
Quote:"And, just in case anyone is wondering, braking deep is easy when they donīt work....." - Brian Parriott
Old 04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think it is clear, they are both #1 in their respective bike type.
www.motorcyclistcafe.com
www.sjbmwracing.com
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
I have yet to ride an S1000RR... not that that opportunity hasn't presented itself. I just don't feel the urge nor desire to ride one. The HP2S though...
Old 04-12-2010, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

IMO their is no contest.... i like them both
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Imho....

I want the HP2 for the street and Bike week... I like the bling and the looks...

I want the SKRR for track day as the parts are cheaper and easier I hope......

This is how things would work if budgets allowed.....
Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The S1000RR would have to go a long way to move me off stating that the uber boxer HP2S is the creme-de-la-Creme of the two. The S1000RR is a mass production bike and the HP2S is a cnc billet, cf aircooled wonderment.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail24 View Post
The S1000RR would have to go a long way to move me off stating that the uber boxer HP2S is the creme-de-la-Creme of the two. The S1000RR is a mass production bike and the HP2S is a cnc billet, cf aircooled wonderment.
Truth bubba,

BTW i'm getting the RR sorted out.
I'm riding it on slick mode and it works better,(for me).
Its less intrusive, fun coming out of corners and it still is tame in the rpm range i work in on the street.
The only thing thats needed is throttle control.
In a month i'll turn off the abs and see if that helps. This is the first bike i've had with abs and its an aquired taste at best.
Maybe i'll pick up another hp2s in the future when i'm sure they have fixed the ECU problem that some of the bikes have had

jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Jeff, I believe if you keep the techs from slipping in those performance enhancing (NOT) updates, the ECU is bullet proof. #039 was sweet from the first ride until I sold it. Cautioned the new owner not to allow the techs to fix what ain't broke.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: