Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

S1000RR/prevent front end tucking

Hi all,
just a note to let you know what i am working on.
Because of my type of riding style i tend to drag the front brake after i have started my turn and i feel the front end trying to tuck.
From what I've found most accidents on this bike have been front end tucking.
Therefore i started checking as many 1000rr i could.
I checked 2 on the road and 5 in showrooms.
The front forks are dropped 23mm,(measure from the start of the gold not the silver cap. between each line is 5mm),
I raised the yokes,(dropped the fork legs), to 10mm.
At this height the bike was extremely stable, very similar to my old HP2S in turning.
Front end would raise up,(i ride in race or slick modes), it was fun.
It was very good for high speed stuff but needed just a little bit for the tight corners.
SO,
I am raising the forks 5mm,(lowering the yokes), which should improve cornering but still give me a stable platform to ride from.
The magic # looks to be 15mm

Jeff

95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

When you move the forks up and down the triple clamp, is there a trick that you use to keeping everything straight? I've always been a little afraid to do this because I am unsure I would end up with everything straight again.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

simon,
yes actually their are two ways the right way and the quick way that can work as well but not perf
perfect(just like a bike shop usually does or the quick way at the track).

The quick way:
look at the bands at the top of the fork. They are spaced 5mm's apart. if put the marks the same on both forks they should be close enough. All of the bikes that i have changed forks on,( their have been quite a few) have been this close.
take the weight off the front end. this can be accomplished by putting strap or tye downs on the upper triple clamp. the front wheel doesn't have to come off the ground, just lighten the weight on it so that the forks can be moved easily. hook a tye down to a rafter and connect the strap or the other tye down to it to lift the front end.
THE BIKE CAN STAY ON THE SIDE STAND.
do not lift it so much that you are hanging the bike and it does a barrel roll,( major f**k up),
Loosen the lower and upped bolts on one side,(you don't have to take off any panels).
put a piece of wood or plastic on the clamp or the fork,(depending if your going up or down), and tap the wood with a mallet to desired mark on the fork,(remember to the desired mark, if its a hair above the mark do the same to the other).
tighten the clamp bolts. tighten them a second time as tighten the second bolt will loosen the first on and so on and so on. tight them a third time.
to the other side same as the first.
When you change the front tire down the road then use the second way to algin them so that you can be obcessive as we all are.

the long way:
get the bike in the air and take off the front wheel. move the forks to desired marks and lightly snug only one of the triple tree bolds. Insert the axle into the bottom of the forks. Their should be no binding and should slide in and out easily.

questions?
just ask
Jeff
ps don't forget to readjust the compression and rebound. With raising the clamps,(lowering the forks), their will be more weight on the rear shock and less on the front forks. So lighten the rebound 1 click to start and add 1 click to the low and high speed compression. If it feels like their is a little to much movement in the back add 1 click to the rebound of the rear shock,(if you feel its too stiff the back wheel maybe coming off the ground,(someone behind you will be able to see it happening).
anyways have fun
jeff
95 R100RT Classic, a keeper
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
No try, do or not do

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlok View Post
When you move the forks up and down the triple clamp, is there a trick that you use to keeping everything straight? I've always been a little afraid to do this because I am unsure I would end up with everything straight again.
the best way is to take the top fork caps off, and bottom out the front end with the front wheel and axle still in place. loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts and then slide the whole front end up or down as a unit. in this way you will also not do anything stupid like slide it up too far and have the tire come in contact with something in front of the engine.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: