Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW S1000RR Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

S1000RR on Sales Hold?????

I have an RT and S bike and assisting a friend with a new sport bike purchase. It has come down to a '12 Yamaha R1 or a '12 BMW S1000R.

He was ready to pull the trigger on the BMW and the Houston dealer said they just rec'd mandate from BMW to place a "hold" on all S1000RR sales. Salesman did not know the issue and looking into right now as I am typing.

Anyone out there know what is up with this bike and the reason sales are on hold?

Thank you,
Nathan
Houston, Texas
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I work for a BMW motorbike dealership Down Under and the bulletin we received yesterday from BMW Australia simply says "Hold all 2012 S1000RR sales and demonstrator rides and we will let you know the when's and why's and how's as soon as we can".

Having a racing customer in here last week who has built several engines and has a relationship with BMW Australia, he told us there is a procedure for correctly torquing the connecting rod bolts and that the BMW service procedure information for the proper steps is incorrect - if this is the issue at all. We don't know for sure. Apparently they need to be torqued, loosened slightly and then re-torqued in a procedure. Several engines have apparently 'fragged' at Phillip Island and such during race meetings.

That's it. It's Saturday arvo here now and we won't know anything further until Monday, soonest.
Cheers.

Last edited by TwoWheelsBetter; 04-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello,
I just registered here so I could post a reply to this issue. I live in Washington State and rode my Gsxr 1000 up to Tacoma last Saturday (4/14/2012) to look at a S1000RR as Id never seen one. They had just put all the road gear back on their demo and let me take if for an hour demo ride. When I got back I asked "So, how much will you give me for my fossil, I want an S1000."

We sat down, figured my trade in value, how much I was putting down, etc. He ran my credit, no prob, the bikes mine. Then when trying to write it up he says " Hmmm...It wont let me in the sales system." He goes back and finds out about the Technical Sevice Bulletin, it was the first he had heard about it. Then he says "Yep, you wont be able to take it home today". GRRRRRR!! He told me it had something to do with an Evaporative Hose or something to that effect and they wouldnt know anything more until this week.

So, there it is. Something about the evap system from what he told me. Dont know if its a simple fix, recall, etc. Waiting anxiously!!

Preston
Olympia, WA
Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, the norm for beemers is to chuck the whole evaporator assembly except maybe in California. Wellcome to the forum and thanks for the update.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

They still haven't got the service bulliten out. The culprit is connecting rod bolts that must be replaced on bike with certain "TBD" VIN's. This one ain't going to be quick because it involves splitting the case, so I'm told. It is a worldwide issue and not just limited to North America. Dealers are talking. Kind of reminds me of a problem and the Lycoming Engine remanufacture facility a few years back when a bunch of non- PAA approved bolts found thee way into the rebuild parts bin.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
As an update to this - I work at a BMW dealer - a certain run of connecting rod nuts were not torqued corectly and had no thread locker on them. The repair includes new nuts and thread locker, requires a host of specialty tools, and takes 12hr or so (obviously paying less than 12hr in warranty time).
Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: