Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Performance Modifications > BMW Track and Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Toyo RA-1s: how do they behave?

Long story short, around January I decided that I was going to get ready for some HPDEs this year. I bought a helmet, brake fluid, shocks to replace the worn OE stuff, and even new pads and rotors (although my OE ones should be good for at least one track event). I also bought a set of Kosei K1s with Toyo RA-1 235/40-17 tires on them, mainly to have a tire designed for the track that wouldn't get greasy when it got warmed up.

Having competed in only a couple of autocrosses, I have no illusions about being a great driver. Some folks say the RA-1s are just a notch above high-performance street tires, and that they're much more forgiving than typical R-comps. Others say that I'm crazy for not running on street tires for at least half a dozen events. Were I to do it again I'd go with a set of street tires, but now that I've got my RA-1s mounted and ready to go, should I be concerned that they won't behave in a civil manner?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Go for the RA1's. They are great. I have run on Hoosiers, Michelin Sport Cups, Kumhos, and Yokohama. Back to the RA1 and will stay there. You will be most happy. And you are not crazy to not be running on street tires. Yes, the biggest skill is on the driver. And the biggest improvement a driver can make is tires. Do nothing else until your experience level is up and you are learning. Ask for insruction at each track event you attend. That is the biggest failing of organizers in not providing instruction when needed. Instruction keeps new folks in the loop and pushes their limits so that they keep coming for more.
http://www.pca-ggr.org/showttmem.cgi?name=tatysteven
73 911 No longer Targa
-3.2L Running GT4
Old 04-16-2005, 12:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll be attending a BMWCCA DE in about 6 weeks and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: