Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW X1, X3, X4, X5 & X6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

E53 cranks but wont start. It's sucking my will to live

Dear all, first post on an X5 forum and first issue with a BM in a long long time.
Iíve been trawling the internet looking for an answer to my problem but havenít found a solution yet so Iíd like to throw this out to you devoted enthusiasts.

1. 2 weeks ago I changed out the rh cv axel in my MY01 rhd e53 3.0lt gas/petrol (prior to this the vehicle had absolutely no issues). During the process I do not recall unplugging anything either deliberately or by accident.

2. However, the ignition was switched to run (pos 2 at the key) for a number of hours before I realized what was happening (god bless my little helper).
I switched it off and didnít think much of it for another few days until the vehicle was back on the ground and I was heading for a test drive. The battery was flat at this point (the battery is less than a year old. Not completely flat as interior lights, radio and Climate cntr fan all started as key was turned), no worries I think to myself ill just put it on the charger over night and have another try tomorrow after work.

3. Next day comes and bugger the car cranks but wont start, it almost fires but wonít. So, hereís what Iíve done so far.

a. I can hear the fuel pump start and run until it reaches pressure then I turn the key and it cranks but wonít start. Have also tried doing this a number of times to ďprimeĒ the system before cranking.

b. Checked all fuses with a multi meter and cleaned their connectors with contact cleaner.
No change

c. Pulled ever relay I can find cleaned their connectors.
No Change

d. Replaced the fuel pump relay with a fused jumper (pump starts and then stops when pressure reached)
No Change

e. Checked that there is enough fuel in the tank, yes there is.
No Change

f. Maybe itís the battery, added and the battery from my wifeís xc90 Volvo to the jump start terminals in the engine bay, cranks but wonít start.
No Change

g. Iíve now worked my way to the engine bay what next? Try starting with the MAF disconnected, clean the MAF.
No Change

h. Ive checked the relays and cleaned their connectors in the engine bay up under the windscreen and nothing smells burnt.

Whats an easy way to check for spark??

I have to say Iíve run out of solid ideas and am perplexed as to why this has happened now, if anything I would have suspect that the fuse or relay for pump might have been damaged as a result of the ignition system being energized for a prolonged period but I have eliminated both as the cause of the problem I have even swapped the relay with a known good one just to be safe.

I would be most appreciative of any suggestions. Thanks in advance TM
Old 01-27-2019, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

These, and all late model BMWs, do not like low voltage. Anything less than 9.5volts at the multitude of modules and they will shut down, or at least not perform properly.

First try to reset the systems by disconnecting the battery, positive terminal, for at least 10 minutes to an hour or so, reconnect and try again.

Get a BMW specific code reader and do a diagnostics check, reset/clear all of the codes that show up and try again.

I use a Carly app on my android tablet, with the Carly Bluetooth adaptor but others are available. Check e-bay and Amazon, generic testers will not give you the detail necessary to properly diagnose these cars.

Good luck. The ECU controls most of the engine functions, it may have not liked the low voltage, or you may have just knocked a ground strap from engine to body loose.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: