Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW X1, X3, X4, X5 & X6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Rear defroster relay

Rear window defroster not working. Fuse is good. No voltage on any grid line. All grid lines complete & intact. Think it may be relay, but only 2 are present where 3 would fit in right rear panel. Used 2003 X5 new to me, not sure of history. Which relay position is for defroster? If relay is present, how do I check if it's good or not. If it's good, what else should I check for?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum! Are you able to pull any codes? This will give you a definitive answer as to where the problem is. I'm also attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the X5 platform - I think you'll find them helpful when doing maintenance and repairs down the line.

BMW X5 E53 (1999-2006) Technical Article Directory | DIY Guides for repair and maintenance of BMW X5 models | Pelican Parts
Old 08-01-2017, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello Dmitry,
I've had my car at a garage for other repairs and he said no other codes were found and all codes are now clear. The link you shared does not cover this problem.

What would be very helpful is a photo of the 3 relays in the right rear compartment, in order to identify the proper location of the defroster relay. Only 2 are present now, both identical to each other but having a different number than I see for the defroster relay. Since it's missing, I'm confident it will fix the problem when added. I just am not sure which position is accurate. (The other 2 relays have been moved so I'm not sure if they're correct either)

Do you have access to a technical manual that shows this line-up from front to rear?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: