Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW X1, X3, X4, X5 & X6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Temp Gauge Immediately jumps To Max

I have a 2005 X5 with a 4.4 I was checking the coolant level and forgot to put the cap on before starting.. i was monitoring the temp gauge while idling and after maybe 5 minutes i noticed to temp gauge maxed out, shut the motor off and noticed the cap being off.. The engine never got hot, but the gauge jumps directly to max after turning the key on.. Now it just mostly cranks but does not start, but on occasion (maybe 10%)will fire right up and run fine with the temp needle at max.. So far I have reset the computer, instrument cluster, replaced both temp sensors and disconnected the battery hoping to reset it, No Joy... Recently it fired right up, so i let it run for a bit, but when i turned it off to try a restart it just cranked.. I did notice that while trying the restart the temp gauge gradually climbed to a feasible reading(since idling for a few) but within a split second jumped right to max temp.. I would appreciate any and all advice.. Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum Mike - before spending anymore money on parts, I would recommend getting the codes read. This will likely give you a definitive answer as to where the issue is. I'm also attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the E53 platform - these should help you down the line if you're doing any maintenance or repairs yourself.

BMW X5 E53 (1999-2006) Technical Article Directory | DIY Guides for repair and maintenance of BMW X5 models | Pelican Parts
Old 09-05-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up.. Is it possible for it to show a code with no check engine light ??
Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: